Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Only 5 speed though

Plus, the oil mesh thing is different on later models.
    It's a pain to service it right

1240km to a fill

I had one of these. The 5 speed isn't too bad with the gearing. I had 350k on it when I got rid. In that time I did 2 belts, DMF and the exhaust mount rusted and rotted.

Standard maintenance apart from that, which I thought was quite good. Comfy, good spec, just enough power and a miser on diesel.

First and only Ford I've owned but I'd have another no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

tax is high for 2009 isn't it? apart from that seems a nice car for price.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    tax is high for 2009 isn't it? apart from that seems a nice car for price.

Suspect that's emissions on a 1.8 petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

racso1975 wrote: »
    Suspect that's emissions on a 1.8 petrol

thought it was €636 petrol

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    thought it was €636 petrol

There is no 636 rate on the co2 rates

http://www.mywheels.ie/motor-tax-rates-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭elperello

€636 was the rate for 1701-1800cc cars on the cc system.
    That Volvo is one of the unlucky models that saw it's tax rate increase under the emissions system.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That S40 is also one of those FlexiFuel models which means it can used biofuel as well as unleaded. However biofuel is no longer available in the Republic. Just remember that those biofuel engines were thirsty enough and need servicing every 10k km.

That was my fear it would be one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

TychoCaine wrote: »
    That's a good price, but it's probably because there's a $$$$ wet belt & timing belt service due.

Those Mondeos seem to be very cheap in general for some reason, currently looking for a new car and that year/shape Mondeo keeps popping up for very small money compared to other similar makes/models.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭Guffy

colm_mcm wrote: »

Really miss my old focus. Is there any way of checking if the clock is the original? I remember my cluster going before and swapping one out from the yard handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Guffy wrote: »
    Really miss my old focus. Is there any way of checking if the clock is the original? I remember my cluster going before and swapping one out from the yard handy enough.

It's Greenlight verified so I'm curious why would you doubt the mileage?

I was under the impression that Greenlight passed meant there was proof of mileage.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Green light verification is no guarantee of mileage

Green light verification is no guarantee of mileage

Does it verify what mileage was on the car for every NCT?

Is it easy to get a Greenlight for a dodgy car if you are a car dealer?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Does it verify what mileage was on the car for every NCT?

Is it easy to get a Greenlight for a dodgy car if you are a car dealer?

It verifies that the seller (most likely) has the logbook to hand, whether or not the car is imported, whether or not that car has been written off and that the vehicle details “match those on [their] records”...whatever those records are

If you try to get a green light for a car that has been written off Donedeal just won’t post the ad. But you don’t have to have a green light anyway so someone can still post an ad for a car with a dodgy past.

Green light check has nothing to do with mileage or NCT verification

It verifies that the seller (most likely) has the logbook to hand, whether or not the car is imported, whether or not that car has been written off and that the vehicle details “match those on [their] records”...whatever those records are

If you try to get a green light for a car that has been written off Donedeal just won’t post the ad. But you don’t have to have a green light anyway so someone can still post an ad for a car with a dodgy past.

Green light check has nothing to do with mileage or NCT verification

Well that's a big surprise for me Duke, it's a very well marketed con job in it's own right so!

What's the best option when looking for reassurance besides "one owner FSH" or is there any?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well that's a big surprise for me Duke, it's a very well marketed con job in it's own right so!

What's the best option when looking for reassurance besides "one owner FSH" or is there any?

If it's an import you can check previous mot checks and it gives a lot of information including fails and mileage at each test.

In Ireland basically you have FSH if real or NCT with kilometres at each test etc.

A cartell/mywheels/motor check report might flag something up but they aren't the be all and end all.

Tangible service history and NCT certs are the only way you get a real idea. Obviously a physical inspection of the condition of the car is another way but a high mileage wrecker can be masked up quite well..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra-1997/21652277

YTFkNGZiYTRmYmU2MGJhNWYwOGY2YTZiNTMwMGQ5MTl3i77Se6UIvCuW_iKb3EMoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMwMjEwNTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Ah feck, I really want this.

1 previous owner, 50k miles, clean, years test and three months tax, €550

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hold that hurl steady Din Junior so they can't see the reg. no.:)

YTFkNGZiYTRmYmU2MGJhNWYwOGY2YTZiNTMwMGQ5MTl3i77Se6UIvCuW_iKb3EMoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMwMjEwNTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A car for life.

I'd buy it if I didn't have to take a day off work to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Sister had a 98 one for a few years she swore by it, said it was great because a guard would never pull her over for speeding in it because he would think a Micra couldn't be doing more than 60,mph and that the machine was dodgy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty sure that spec doesn’t have power steering. They’re a balls of a yoke to park.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty sure that spec doesn’t have power steering. They’re a balls of a yoke to park.

All depends where you’re parking it Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All depends where you’re parking it Colm.

In a field....

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

carzony wrote: »
    Those Mondeos seem to be very cheap in general for some reason, currently looking for a new car and that year/shape Mondeo keeps popping up for very small money compared to other similar makes/models.

A lot of them were taxis in a former life. That's never good for resale value. They're as reliable as any Japanese car, and parts are 1/2 the price when they do break. Do the usual checks, avoid the 1.8 tdci unless *both* belts were done recently, get a cartell report (to avoid the ex-taxis) and you should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I had one of these. The 5 speed isn't too bad with the gearing. I had 350k on it when I got rid. In that time I did 2 belts, DMF and the exhaust mount rusted and rotted.

Standard maintenance apart from that, which I thought was quite good. Comfy, good spec, just enough power and a miser on diesel.

First and only Ford I've owned but I'd have another no bother

I was talking about a C5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

A cartell/mywheels/motor check report might flag something up but they aren't the be all and end all.

Tangible service history and NCT certs are the only way you get a real idea. Obviously a physical inspection of the condition of the car is another way but a high mileage wrecker can be masked up quite well..

I can support this. I went to view a car recently (private) and it seemed to have good service history in the UK until 2013 when it was imported. It had no more service history until 2016, when it only had 7,000 miles more than in 2013. The Cartell report didn't show any issues with mileage, even though it was taxed throughout 2013-2016 - An obvious case of clocking the car on import.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-607-2-litre-diesel/21576430

YjE0MDAzMmZmZGYwNzVlNzBkZTgzMmNlOTE1Y2FjOTiTXd3FgZh9EPfe-zZ1Mj5zaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI0Nzc1ODR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking late 607 diesel with NCT till Feb 2020 and a bit of tax, €795

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement