Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Well gents, the inevitable has happened a bit sooner than even I had anticipated. Have my lovely little Corolla on Donedeal:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-toyota-corolla-1-3/21521932

MDhhZmIyOTczZDg1ZGViMTM4NGJjNDcxYzNlZWJkYTeqBsEz0Bl0AX8K_eDO1bjIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIwNDc2MDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I picked up a cheap 07 Civic hybrid this evening (more on that later..) and need to move something on; the Corolla got the short straw! I appreciate the test is a bit short, but I'm hoping the tax and its condition makes up for it. This is a lovely little car and IMO cannot be faulted at all. If anyone here in interested give me a buzz and I'll do good deal!

Okay, I have this booked in for a test at the start of May. What can I expect for it with a fresh test? No interest in it (understandably) at €450 with tax and test just till the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Small bit more really. There is not a market for them any more. One time people would snap them up as they are reliable and cheap to tax and insure. It's hard to insure them now for the average person as a daily so the only market is someone who really wants one and not someone looking for cheap motoring.

Yeah. And to think I thought it was a bargain last year at €800!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Okay, I have this booked in for a test at the start of May. What can I expect for it with a fresh test? No interest in it (understandably) at €450 with tax and test just till the end of June.

Its one of those isn't it, do i put in money in to it and hope for more, think id leave it at same price but with new long NCT if i wanted to get rid, as you know yourself its not the NCT putting people off, its the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21544350

33k miles with a lovely spec. Probably could be gotten for under the 2k mark.

what does anyone reckon of the price on this, could get much newer for less, is it a classic insurance category or just expensive or no insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

That's an awful pity, and there really are some cracking older cars out there like your one.

It's still worth money, but the way I see it these days, the government charge mental road tax on old luxury barges as they aren't dying out quick enough to keep new car sales going, and now, even the smaller cars where the road tax wasn't killing it, the insurance companies are making it tougher and tougher for people to get insurance, again trying to phase out older cars, to keep new car sales going!!

As you know, I was awful close to buying one of those Corollas a few weeks back, and then I had even contemplated your one for a week or so, but yesterday, ended up buying a 2007 Saab 9-3 Linear Sport with NCT until June of next year for 900 quid and that even included 4 brand new tyres! :eek:

30x7qfk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

elperello wrote: »
    Hold that hurl steady Din Junior so they can't see the reg. no.:)

It's someone bent over covering it with their arse in pic 2, and the orange short shorts in 4 that gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I need that Corolla in my life Duke. I feel like buying it and storing it in a Tesco carpark somewhere for another 6 months or so.

I need that Corolla in my life Duke. I feel like buying it and storing it in a Tesco carpark somewhere for another 6 months or so.

It does sort of have your name written all over it :pac: A neighbour who doesn't drive is allowing me keep it in her garden so its off the road and out of harms way. To be honest I could keep it there indefinitely if I wanted to but its not going to get any better sitting there.

If I hadn't insured the Civic I'd probably go back to driving the Corolla full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1874 wrote: »
    what does anyone reckon of the price on this, could get much newer for less, is it a classic insurance category or just expensive or no insurance?

I think it’s real value is sub €1k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-607-2-litre-diesel/21576430

Nice looking late 607 diesel with NCT till Feb 2020 and a bit of tax, €795

Why do people refuse to put bloody interior pics on ads. Does my head in.

Posted one of these last week which was a 1999 for €750

Here's a 1996 for €1250!

Seems to be a clean genuine example with fresh NCT until Feb next year, and lists all work carried out for the test, and insists it's not a rust bucket as most of them are
    Also looks like it's running a set of Pirelli Cinturato's if that's any guide towards the type of owner. Certainly looks great in the pics for a 23 year old car!

NTMzNzAwZjJjZWNjNWJlODFmZjQ1MGQ0MmRhYmMzMzcw9ui5twgyQ155TYkV4qgAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjEyNjAxMDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 month tax and 1 month NCT
    Asking €599 probably get it for 500
    Cheap diesel A6 Avant Auto

MzQyZWM1ZDY4N2ZkYjhiMWJlMWQ4NzYwZDFhNDdhMTi5FCN24NBApIQ8Xim8cctzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMwNjgwMjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Another 2004 A6 Avant Auto diesel!
    NCT until September
    Mileage seems awful low, but looking at the pics of inside, it might be fairly genuine, as there doesn't seem to be excessive wear

Asking €799

NjQwMzRiYWI4ZmY5ODM1MjJhZDU2OGVmYmMwODM1MTLQKEw8yWmJRR0CWDi8Fj-FaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjE1NDU2ODd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

The silver one would be my preference as I'd prefer the black interior. I note no pics of passenger side unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

rn wrote: »
    The silver one would be my preference as I'd prefer the black interior. I note no pics of passenger side unfortunately.

This is a lovely one, but the price is nuts even allowing for the work done.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-tdi-avant-sport/21660579

Also, usually donegal cars are a bit cheaper due to location in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

The world is gone mad when that car is not worth €500 with a full years test.
    We talk of how important it is to reuse shopping bags, bring your own coffee cup and getting rid of plastic straws but absolutely no issue in scrapping way over a tonne of perfectly usable metal, plastic, rubber and other bits and bobs.
    Nuts.

W123-80's wrote: »
    We talk of how important it is to reuse shopping bags, bring your own coffee cup and getting rid of plastic straws but absolutely no issue in scrapping way over a tonne of perfectly usable metal, plastic, rubber and other bits and bobs.
    Nuts.

Totally agree with the premise of what you say. I guess the argument is whether reuse of the old car is better environmentally than scrapping it and replacing with a more modern,efficient, environmentally friendly alternative? Does the improvement gained from the new car offset the impact of scrapping the old one?
    I genuinely dont know the answer and think its an interesting question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Nuts.

I did mention that months ago, reduce,reuse, recycle doesn't seem to apply to motors. Gangsters.

terrydel wrote: »
    This is a lovely one, but the price is nuts even allowing for the work done.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-tdi-avant-sport/21660579

Also, usually donegal cars are a bit cheaper due to location in my experience.

I was looking at that. I’d snap it up tomorrow if I could. Lovely looking example

• Advertisement

I was looking at that. I’d snap it up tomorrow if I could. Lovely looking example

It does look very good. Would you pay that much tho?

It does look very good. Would you pay that much tho?

I’ve been known to overpay for a nice example of a particular car :pac:

Really though it’s worth closer to €2k

I’ve been known to overpay for a nice example of a particular car :pac:

Really though it’s worth closer to €2k

Yeah, its a shame its in the backarse of nowhere, couldnt drag myself all the way up there unless it was a deal too good to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Totally agree with the premise of what you say. I guess the argument is whether reuse of the old car is better environmentally than scrapping it and replacing with a more modern,efficient, environmentally friendly alternative? Does the improvement gained from the new car offset the impact of scrapping the old one?
    I genuinely dont know the answer and think its an interesting question.

I would generally say no for the most part if you are replacing like with like. Have modern cars got more efficient compared to equivalent cars of 15 - 25 odd years ago? - generally yes. Have they got dramatically more efficient compared to the equivalent cars of 15 - 25 years ago? - generally no. If its down to a question of which is more environmentally friendly then remember the amount of raw material and general demand on the environment is considerable to build a new car.
    Electric cars? - remember they use electricity which for the very most part is still generated by burning fossil fuels - in this country anyway, although that is slowly changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

elperello wrote: »
    Hold that hurl steady Din Junior so they can't see the reg. no.:)

Honestly, why do they bother with a car that age, now it was expensive maybe, even then a genuine prospective buyer will need to have the reg, to check authenticity and for insurance quotes.

I would generally say no for the most part if you are replacing like with like. Have modern cars got more efficient compared to equivalent cars of 15 - 25 odd years ago? - generally yes. Have they got dramatically more efficient compared to the equivalent cars of 15 - 25 years ago? - generally no. If its down to a question of which is more environmentally friendly then remember the amount of raw material and general demand on the environment is considerable to build a new car.
    Electric cars? - remember they use electricity which for the very most part is still generated by burning fossil fuels - in this country anyway, although that is slowly changing.

I think any calculation would have to consider how long you will have the new car for. If its 5 years, then in that time will its benefits offset the negatives of keeping an older car on the road. I genuinely dont know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Nuts.

I was seriously tempted to ring and go see this and take it away. Cant get insurance on it. Its over the max 20 year old limit.

Any suggestions for insurance companies out there that offer this?

Awaiting one company to come back on a quote.

rn wrote: »

First thing I noticed too. So many pics from other angles, it makes me wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

flexcon wrote: »
    I was seriously tempted to ring and go see this and take it away. Cant get insurance on it. Its over the max 20 year old limit.

Any suggestions for insurance companies out there that offer this?

Awaiting one company to come back on a quote.

Sertus/rsa through chill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That 607 is amazing value.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement