Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

Too good to be true?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-c30-1-6/21668410

Low mileage
    2 months tax
    2 months test

It's 3 door and tiny. And without the reputation of a corolla, civic or golf so it's correctly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

jharr100 wrote: »

Looks like a Volvo with 2 dents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Drew P. Wiener

rn wrote: »
    It's 3 door and tiny. And without the reputation of a corolla, civic or golf so it's correctly priced.

Noted, always kind of fancied them for some reason. Illogical choice tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

jharr100 wrote: »

Diesel A4 with a dent :D

YmM3ZmZlMjc4ODdiOWJjNjRkMWI2MTRlYmFkNDEzOWZm6MMeXqDUOKZJp5zBQ_ZJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI5NzcxOTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Asking €1550
    NCT until Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Diesel A4 with a dent :D

YmM3ZmZlMjc4ODdiOWJjNjRkMWI2MTRlYmFkNDEzOWZm6MMeXqDUOKZJp5zBQ_ZJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI5NzcxOTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Asking €1550
    NCT until Nov

Changed hands on the 21st of January this year. Wonder if it has some issues

• Advertisement

Changed hands on the 21st of January this year. Wonder if it has some issues

Just saw that alright after i posted it here. Seems a short time alright, unless it's a trader finding it hard to shift with the damage and having to drop price to get rid of it :confused:

Also, no mention at all of mileage!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Get a load of this!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-607/21676112

ODg5MGNkYTRkOWI4MzYzMjUzZmQyMDA4OTlkYTg3NzFHwWFUmkZSMwd2NxEKcNATaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMxNzY4Mjl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

V6, nice leather, low miles, NCT till November, €1250

Peugeot just have a way with Cars aging well.

That's a beaut. Even if the tax is beyond my capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

rn wrote: »

I actually thought it was expensive for what it is?

12 year old, 3 door, oddball Volvo yoke with SFA tax or test, €1k car.

It does look tidy and 1 owner from new though, worth a look if you were in the market for one but the price needs negotiation IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Was looking at some cheap fun motoring for about 6 months.

Would a 02/03 Mini cooper for around the €1200 mark be fun??

Or a timeless classic?!!??

Was looking at some cheap fun motoring for about 6 months.

Would a 02/03 Mini cooper for around the €1200 mark be fun??

Or a timeless classic?!!??

I toyed with the idea of a Mini for a while recently, but after a bit of research and following adverts on Donedeal etc, they really don't seem to be a car I'd bank on as a main car

One of the huge things that will strike you when trawling through the adverts are the number of them without NCT's and also listed with faults and heating issues etc.

Not saying not to, just research them well and know what to watch out for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

That is a scandalous price for that motor.

Went to see this today, it’s spotless. The body is immaculate

Engine had plenty of Milk around the oil cap and and dip stick so i walked away. Such a Shame as the car itself is in great condition

I toyed with the idea of a Mini for a while recently, but after a bit of research and following adverts on Donedeal etc, they really don't seem to be a car I'd bank on as a main car

One of the huge things that will strike you when trawling through the adverts are the number of them without NCT's and also listed with faults and heating issues etc.

Not saying not to, just research them well and know what to watch out for

Most I have seen have an NCT until the end of the year. Around the €1k mark, wouldn't be a main car either. Just something for a bit of fun driving and wouldn't care if it blew up come October!

flexcon wrote: »
    Went to see this today, it’s spotless. The body is immaculate

Engine had plenty of Milk around the oil cap and and dip stick so i walked away. Such a Shame as the car itself is in great condition

If the mileage is genuine on that car, it's doing about 5k a year, which is only about 100 miles a week, so it's quite possible it is only doing short runs and never running long enough to build up decent heat, so that could be just condensation on the cap and dipstick.

A mate of mine drove an E46 for over 2 years, and he drove 5 miles to work, on country roads, got there in about 5 or 6 mins. Car sat all day, and then 5 miles home in the evening. He constantly had milk under the cap and in around the top of the engine, and on the dipstick as the car never got a chance to warm up properly, but never had an issue with the car.

Having said that, it's always better to be safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

If the mileage is genuine on that car, it's doing about 5k a year, which is only about 100 miles a week, so it's quite possible it is only doing short runs and never running long enough to build up decent heat, so that could be just condensation on the cap and dipstick.

A mate of mine drove an E46 for over 2 years, and he drove 5 miles to work, on country roads, got there in about 5 or 6 mins. Car sat all day, and then 5 miles home in the evening. He constantly had milk under the cap and in around the top of the engine, and on the dipstick as the car never got a chance to warm up properly, but never had an issue with the car.

Having said that, it's always better to be safe than sorry!

This would be my thinking entirely

I've never heard of mayonnaise on a dipstick from lack of mileage, a little bit around the oil cap sure.

I've never heard of mayonnaise on a dipstick from lack of mileage, a little bit around the oil cap sure.

Not as common as the oil cap, as it's closer to the heat from the oil in the sump, but have seen it a few times. Basically its the same reason. Heat builds up slightly, car is switched off, you get condensation in the tube as it cools down and the moisture mixing with the oil on the dipstick looks slightly creamy

It’s certainly possible that build up can happen on the dipstick

snigger :D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry I am 16!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Actually did a bit of Googling as I wasn't 100% sure, but the N46 engine in the 318 uses the BMW CCV system to let the vapours out of the engine block.

Most cars just let this back in the inlet manifold with a simple PCV, but BMW's CCV tries to separate the oil from the vapour, and has the oil drain back into the pan, and often when the CCV gets clogged, it lets the vapours drain back into the oil too.

A quick Google will show that a badly clogged CCV can be full of yellow gunk where the oil and vapours mix, and it would explain both the cap and dipstick and appears to be very common on the E46

attachment.php?attachmentid=274149&d=1302596015

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Was reading in a classic car magazine briefly that quinton Wilson recently paid 3000 stg for a low mileage 01 mini...food food thought màybe?
    Often wondered what they would be like but with grandchildren dog and wheelchair could never justify it...

• Advertisement

http://www.oreganmotors.ie/vehicles/mini/hatch/dublin/2202005

This one caught my eye. Although it is 7 owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Was reading in a classic car magazine briefly that quinton Wilson recently paid 3000 stg for a low mileage 01 mini...food food thought màybe?
    Often wondered what they would be like but with grandchildren dog and wheelchair could never justify it...

I almost bought a copper s recently for the school run once/twice a week as I normally drive a van figured it'd be a bit if craic for small enough money.

Drove out to look at one cash in hand lovely looking example and ticked all the boxes. Looked in the back and only 2 feckin seat belts :eek: ah bollox there goes that bit of fun :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The really early 01s seem to have some OTT (imo) interest from some folk.

Seems to be a Rover* link to this interest as the MINI is seen by some enthusiast types as a car with heavy Rover involvement.

*all the hype I've seen re 2001 built/registered MINIs comes from Rover enthusiastso etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Actually did a bit of Googling as I wasn't 100% sure, but the N46 engine in the 318 uses the BMW CCV system to let the vapours out of the engine block.

Most cars just let this back in the inlet manifold with a simple PCV, but BMW's CCV tries to separate the oil from the vapour, and has the oil drain back into the pan, and often when the CCV gets clogged, it lets the vapours drain back into the oil too.

A quick Google will show that a badly clogged CCV can be full of yellow gunk where the oil and vapours mix, and it would explain both the cap and dipstick and appears to be very common on the E46

attachment.php?attachmentid=274149&d=1302596015

I had a thought it could be this but it was fairly sludgy. Car wasn’t over heating and no smell from air vents etc. A bit of oil at the back of the engine in the catchment area.

Problem
    is if it is a head gasket it defeats the purpose of paying that price for that car. I’d have taken it otherwise as structurally it is an insane condition of that year.

Guess i got stung too many times before

flexcon wrote: »
    I had a thought it could be this but it was fairly sludgy. Car wasn’t over heating and no smell from air vents etc. A bit of oil at the back of the engine in the catchment area.

Problem
    is if it is a head gasket it defeats the purpose of paying that price for that car. I’d have taken it otherwise as structurally it is an insane condition of that year.

Guess i got stung too many times before

Exactly. It's probably better to be safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

flexcon wrote:

Absolutely clueless about engine condition etc but like the whole bangernomics idea... What does "milk around the oil cap and dip stick" mean? Not good judging by your reaction to seeing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

flexcon wrote:

Absolutely clueless about engine condition etc but like the whole bangernomics idea... What does "milk around the oil cap and dip stick" mean? Not good judging by your reaction to seeing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bahanaman wrote: »

Could be head gasket as in water and oil don't mix well.

Could well be short drives as I've seen this on say little fiesta with only tiny miles but on in the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Bahanaman wrote: »
    flexcon wrote:

It's seen as a sign of oil and water mixing - and a failed head gasket is often a cause.

A big problem because even if you are lucky and it's just the gasket - its fequently a big job.

Headgasket is often a result of other issues too.

For example - radiator has an issue - car overheats and the overheating causes the headgasket to fail.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-1-9tdi-silver/21601703?campaign=3

YmUyNGNlMTAwYjA2YmJhMThiMDM4NjliNjVhMWNjNmbJf985lf-IgKJDsoxwb_ldaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMyMDI1NDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I think I would be inclined to lose the alloys, but otherwise this looks very nice

130 bhp TDI, leather, sat nav, Bose sound and seemingly very well sorted altogether. Tax till June and test till August, €1200. A bangernomics favourite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement