Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Could be head gasket as in water and oil don't mix well.

Could well be short drives as I've seen this on say little fiesta with only tiny miles but on in the years.

Condensation can be an issue in e46 that doesn't get up to temp. I used to have one. And got rid of it due to high oil consumption issues. Even more than is generally reported in BMW forums as "acceptable."

Going by the condition the other guy is talking about, it shouldn't even be up for sale. That engine is a done for. Its selling point is on looks alone. Which is a shame becuase the dealer would know the condition it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-1-6-nct-amp-tax-a-must-see-car/21664026

Just above the threshold.

Anyone with experience of these? Everything checks out, and the belt has been done. Just looking for something reliable at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That seems like mad money for a 13 year old petrol A3.

Ownership also only changed on April 15th and from the text of the advert is sounds like it's been sold by a part time dealer.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That seems like mad money for a 13 year old petrol A3.

Ownership also only changed on April 15th and from the text of the advert is sounds like it's been sold by a part time dealer.

Yeah it's a trade in car for them.

I don't mind that money, since its got 4 new tyres, just serviced and the belts done. It's sorta ticked the important boxes to me.

I will never go back to the heart breaking diesels again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

flexcon wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-1-6-nct-amp-tax-a-must-see-car/21664026

Anyone with experience of these? Everything checks out, and the belt has been done. Just looking for something reliable at the weekends

Ive an 04 3 door one for 6.5 years. Same 1.6 petrol engine.
    Its been a great car, I've looked after it pretty well.
    They are in my opinion a very nice car inside for their age and class.
    They are ok on fuel, not amazing but not awful either. 5 door might be worse as its heavier.
    The dual climate control is a must in my view if you are buying one.
    Thats very expensive all the same.
    A grand would be a good price for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Really annoys me when an ad says "top spec" and it's far from it. That one is about €750 overpriced and is bog standard SE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I’ve never seen an Audi in that colour that wasn’t anything but total base spec.

I’ve never seen an Audi in that colour that wasn’t anything but total base spec.

You know I was sorta thinking that myself. And looking at the photos there doesn't even seem to be dials on the steering wheel and no aircon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And an emoji in the headline.

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

Really annoys me when an ad says "top spec" and it's far from it. That one is about €750 overpriced and is bog standard SE

The ad, with its numerous spelling mistakes and what not, just screams dodgy door salesman pitch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All the ticks means it must be right.... Right....

You had to pay extra for steering wheel controls on most Audis of that vintage. And that one does have air con, it's integrated into the climate control switches in the centre console. Other than that it's fairly basic.

Personally I think it's a 1500 car at most if it turns out be as described. I wouldn't be paying anywhere near 2k or more for it just because it comes with 4 new tyres. It could well have 4 new cheap Chinese LingLong tyres fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah it's a trade in car for them.

I don't mind that money, since its got 4 new tyres, just serviced and the belts done. It's sorta ticked the important boxes to me.

I will never go back to the heart breaking diesels again!

The transfer of ownership was to an individual rather than to a garage. There was no garage transfer in the last 3 months.

It has aircon BTW. the knobs are actually digital switches.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You had to pay extra for steering wheel controls on most Audis of that vintage. And that one does have air con, it's integrated into the climate control switches in the centre console. Other than that it's fairly basic.

Personally I think it's a 1500 car at most if it turns out be as described. I wouldn't be paying anywhere near 2k or more for it just because it comes with 4 new tyres. It could well have 4 new cheap Chinese LingLong tyres fitted.

Thanks for the advice. I might just cancel the trip up to see it so.

All the other A3 sports back online don't have any proof of the belt being done or there is only 2 months NCT etc.

So perhaps the lack of quality online has pushed me to believe this might be a good buy.

It has dual climate control, so its not base spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

One other thing is the NCT seems to be on it about 7 months at this stage, so it's not even fresh NCT.
    Nice car yeah, but that price is about 7 or 800 quid more than I'd like to be paying

Thanks for the advice. I might just cancel the trip up to see it so.

All the other A3 sports back online don't have any proof of the belt being done or there is only 2 months NCT etc.

So perhaps the lack of quality online has pushed me to believe this might be a good buy.

I'd be looking at something like these if you want something simple and reliable:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-honda-civic-1-3-nct-01-2020-taxed/21234402

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-130-1-4-petrol/21584263

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    One other thing is the NCT seems to be on it about a year at this stage, so it's not even fresh NCT.
    Nice car yeah, but that price is about 7 or 800 quid more than I'd like to be paying

Mine is the 3 door equivalent, 2004 ambition spec with 17 inch alloys, climate control 4 near new good tyres (2 kumho, 2 giti), belt & water pump done very recently (<6 months) usual marks and scrapes for a car of its age driven on rural roads.
    Only issue is it can need a few turns of the key to start sometimes, had it looked at by numerous places but noone has ever got to the bottom of it. Suspect its a sensor or sometime, been like this now over 2 years now and hasnt got any worse or better. It had a new exhaust fitted not long ago and doesnt sound as good as before, but I've had it looked at and its fine, so probably just a spurious part.
    215k kms, nct til July and tax til Oct
    Due a routine service soon.
    If someone gave me a grand I'd bite their hand off.

Is there anything suspicious about the amount of BMW 318i 05-08 range online all with approx 70k miles.

I know they are chain driven, is there anything besides the train that gives trouble on those engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is there anything suspicious about the amount of BMW 318i 05-08 range online all with approx 70k miles.

I know they are chain driven, is there anything besides the train that gives trouble on those engines?

http://mywikimotors.com/n46b20/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Was looking at them for a friend. Low mileage examples there with good spec and condition and long nct for 2k. Id imagine many if not all have one of the vanos chain and or oil burning problems listed in the link. Havent actually gine for a look at one.

He wants something 2005 , 1.6 to 1.8 petrol less than 2k euro. Told him id go look at a 1.8 civic but hes mad for a mazda 3 for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

grogi wrote: »

Run up to the recession of 2009 so the world and their mother had oodles of money and finance was cheap. Sure why not, lets buy a BMW!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The transfer of ownership was to an individual rather than to a garage. There was no garage transfer in the last 3 months.

It has aircon BTW. the knobs are actually digital switches.

He works in the main dealers, the cars he sells are trade ins which he buys from the dealers and flogs on after a bit of a clean up, nice guy to talk to and he will tell you the above if you ask the right questions, I think there are two guys involved.

That's not an endorsement by the way, I just had a look at car he was selling a while back.

Your Face wrote: »

It was mentioned as a do not touch a couple of pages back after a resident motors regular got heartbroken by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It was mentioned as a do not touch a couple of pages back after a resident motors regular got heartbroken by one.

If we were going that road no car would be posted here as all are "don't touch" type of cars.

Anything being sold as a car for around 2k is a risk, but it is low risk, as opposed to buying 6-10k car. Or 15k car. And in many cases the under 2k car is just a better value or just a better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Interslice wrote: »
    Was looking at them for a friend. Low mileage examples there with good spec and condition and long nct for 2k. Id imagine many if not all have one of the vanos chain and or oil burning problems listed in the link. Havent actually gine for a look at one.

He wants something 2005 , 1.6 to 1.8 petrol less than 2k euro. Told him id go look at a 1.8 civic but hes mad for a mazda 3 for some reason...

If he change his mind let me know, trying to sell my 1.6 Civic but it is 2004 and auto.

Tom

wonski wrote: »
    If we were going that road no car would be posted here as all are "don't touch" type of cars.

Anything being sold as a car for around 2k is a risk, but it is low risk, as opposed to buying 6-10k car. Or 15k car. And in many cases the under 2k car is just a better value or just a better car.

Oh Jesus.

As someone who is just putting a 1990 Carina through the NCT as we speak, I'm more than aware of that.

Thing is I wanted him to be alerted to the fact that there was a discussion about that exact car and that exact model a few pages back and he should go gander but that the hive mind was of the opinion of "be wary".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

He wasn't broken by a car, but a dodgy garage that didn't know what they were doing... They butchered the car in the process and it was never the same again.

Those 2.0 HDI engines are the 2-litre diesels to get. One doesn't need a VW Phd in the engine codes to get a good one. They are economical, reliable and nippy enough. The C5 is a very comfortable car and still looks well despite its age.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    He wasn't broken by a car, but a dodgy garage that didn't know what they were doing... They butchered the car in the process and it was never the same again.

Those 2.0 HDI engines are the 2-litre diesels to get. One doesn't need a VW Phd in the engine codes to get a good one. They are economical, reliable and nippy enough. The C5 is a very comfortable car and still looks well despite its age.

All fair. Just directing a guy is all. Not poo pooing.

And yes the C5 looks very very well still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement