Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Your Face wrote: »

Once regularly serviced as per the manufacturer there isn't as issue
    Most Irish motorists don't bother

I recently got a 2011 Renault megane estate from an English lad living locally.
    He had it so well serviced it was crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

For 09 it definitely looks like a much younger car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

wonski wrote: »
    For 09 it definitely looks like a much younger car.

It's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Quick question that you guys here may be best placed to answer. My trusty 04 Golf is on it's last legs. Considering a 06 corolla hatch 1.4vvti. 2 owner car with 110k miles on the clock. Serviced and years test from a trusted local dealer for a few hundred north of bangernomics money. I know they can be got cheaper, but usually have more miles and not in great shape. This one in fairness is very clean with a high UK spec.

We do about 15-20k miles a year. Would this be a good buy for a couple of years?

I take it there isn't much to be worried about as they seem to have a good reputation for being pretty trouble free?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Quick question that you guys here may be best placed to answer. My trusty 04 Golf is on it's last legs. Considering a 06 corolla hatch 1.4vvti. 2 owner car with 110k miles on the clock. Serviced and years test from a trusted local dealer for a few hundred north of bangernomics money. I know they can be got cheaper, but usually have more miles and not in great shape. This one in fairness is very clean with a high UK spec.

We do about 15-20k miles a year. Would this be a good buy for a couple of years?

I take it there isn't much to be worried about as they seem to have a good reputation for being pretty trouble free?

Would you not be looking at a diesel at 20k miles?

1.4 d4d Toyota perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Would you not be looking at a diesel at 20k miles?

1.4 d4d Toyota perhaps.

Yeah that's also a possibility. Car sold when I rang. Would the 1.4 d4d be more risky?

Yeah that's also a possibility. Car sold when I rang. Would the 1.4 d4d be more risky?

No they're a good plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Interslice wrote: »

He wants something 2005 , 1.6 to 1.8 petrol less than 2k euro. Told him id go look at a 1.8 civic but hes mad for a mazda 3 for some reason...
    Has he been in a Mazda 3 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Question time.

2009 Toyota Avensis 1.6 Strata.MRK 3 .Got offered one for 2k with about 200,000KM and fresh NCT.

Pretty clean, some slight wear etc.

Is that a good bargain? Anyone familiar with what you need to watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭CoBo55

flexcon wrote: »
    Question time.

2009 Toyota Avensis 1.6 Strata.MRK 3 .Got offered one for 2k with about 200,000KM and fresh NCT.

Pretty clean, some slight wear etc.

Is that a good bargain? Anyone familiar with what you need to watch out for?

Ex taxi.. They aren't as trouble free as people make out, head gasket failure is rife and despite the best efforts of indie mechanics who still think they're the best thing since sliced pan, it usually means the engine is scrap. Egr problems can be an absolute pain in the hole to fix properly being almost impossible to get the stupid light to stay out, eventually you'll just have to ignore it and just drive it. Check for heavy clutch, if it is it will need replacing soon as it will get to the point where you'll need the leg of a sumo wrestler to work it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Bought an 05 1.4 petrol one from a dealer in late last year, after it was posted on here, for 1.4. Had 115k miles and was very clean. That price is too high.
    I paid 1400 btw.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ex taxi.. They aren't as trouble free as people make out, head gasket failure is rife and despite the best efforts of indie mechanics who still think they're the best thing since sliced pan, it usually means the engine is scrap. Egr problems can be an absolute pain in the hole to fix properly being almost impossible to get the stupid light to stay out, eventually you'll just have to ignore it and just drive it. Check for heavy clutch, if it is it will need replacing soon as it will get to the point where you'll need the leg of a sumo wrestler to work it.

This ones the 1.6 petrol

FWIW, Strata spec on them is good, it’s pretty much the same as Luna spec on the older model.
    I think the price is ok, it’s not a bargain or anything, it’s about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-207-gt-1-6-hdi-110hp/21631957

Decently specced 207. The folks had a petrol one a few years back and I remember liking the weighty steering. Colour a tad garish.

Higher spec one with full cow:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-peugeot-1-6-diesel/21558698

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

Subaru outback
    High spec outback. Big petrol engine might be a problem for running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-2-0-nct/21393921
    What does everyone think? Seems way too cheap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wait till I go fetch my binoculars.

The seller could at least take closer photos of the exterior but I'm guessing it's rough as a bear's arse which is why they were taken from so far away.

I'd also be wary of the multitronic gearbox, it's well known for being unreliable. The oil pump balance shaft is also a weakness on those engines so check if it has been replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

TychoCaine wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-2-0-nct/21393921
    What does everyone think? Seems way too cheap.....

Last change of ownership was on 3rd Jan this year, so it would just make me wonder why it's moving on again so quick! Could possibly be just to wipe out road tax arrears, but just be cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The mk3 has the valvematic engine which is an excellent unit. The previous vvti was a very reliable engine too but on emissions based tax they are €750 per annum while the newer valvematic is only €390.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'02 Accord 1.8
    NCT March '20
    Low mileage claim - 51k miles
    Nice car

Asking €995

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-honda-accord-1-8-vtec-51k-miles/21708598

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-207-gt-1-6-hdi-110hp/21631957

Decently specced 207. The folks had a petrol one a few years back and I remember liking the weighty steering. Colour a tad garish.

Higher spec one with full cow:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-peugeot-1-6-diesel/21558698

Nice looking cars it has to be said and no doubt they are relatively nippy compared to equivalent cars out there but for the very most part that 1.6 HDI does not get a good report on the forum here so thread with caution I'd suggest. A full documented service history, on time, every time is a must I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

07 Focus Zetec with NCT from a dealer for €1595.. Anybody want to point out what to be wary of here? Drive a Focus myself so am familiar with the car's reliability levels etc

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/focus-1-4-zetec-new-nct-today-service-history/21685152

CiaranMT wrote: »
    07 Focus Zetec with NCT from a dealer for €1595.. Anybody want to point out what to be wary of here? Drive a Focus myself so am familiar with the car's reliability levels etc

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/focus-1-4-zetec-new-nct-today-service-history/21685152

Dead slow to be honest even the 1.6 struggle in that era.

Coil packs, hoses for power steering due to go if haven't yet. Has tb been done?

Dead slow to be honest even the 1.6 struggle in that era.

Coil packs, hoses for power steering due to go if haven't yet. Has tb been done?

Slow and steady is fine for me, not doing huge mileage in any particular hurry. Would be aware of coil pack issue (replaced them on my MK1 last year). Don't know about TB.

These cars seem to be cheap enough to maintain with readily available parts apart from the big ones like timing belts. It's more the ad itself that I'd be looking for snags with, ie as it's a dealer how likely is it that it is indeed a 1 owner car?

Slow and steady is fine for me, not doing huge mileage in any particular hurry. Would be aware of coil pack issue (replaced them on my MK1 last year). Don't know about TB.

These cars seem to be cheap enough to maintain with readily available parts apart from the big ones like timing belts. It's more the ad itself that I'd be looking for snags with, ie as it's a dealer how likely is it that it is indeed a 1 owner car?

Obviously a dealer sure look up all his ads.

You will only know if 1 owner by checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Its a two owner car, the ad lists the number of previous owners as 1. That information is correct and is automatically put in by Donedeal, not the seller, so you can be assured its genuine.

I wouldn't exactly be treating it as anything more than a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

This seems cheap enough, but of all the cars for sale on the market VW Passet's seems to be everywere.
    https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/passat/2007-volkswagen-passat/17823393

NOW sold apparently.

Its a two owner car, the ad lists the number of previous owners as 1. That information is correct and is automatically put in by Donedeal, not the seller, so you can be assured its genuine.

So when a car pops up as having 0 previous owners, that indicates a first sale since new? Donedeal perform a vehicle check on all cars listed to fill this information?

So when a car pops up as having 0 previous owners, that indicates a first sale since new? Donedeal perform a vehicle check on all cars listed to fill this information?

Just to note. The previous owners is for Ireland only, so for example a car with 4 owners in the uk and 1 in Ireland will show up as 0 previous owners on donedeal and on the vehicle registration certificate field for Irish owners.

Donedeal will have a link into the motor registration database.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

It only means that there have been no other registered owners, but it doesn't mean that the original owner is the one selling it.

And yes Donedeal perform this check. You have to supply the reg number to place an ad now, and they automatically insert the ownership info (and some other bits) into the ad from it

• Advertisement

Cheers lads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement