Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Unfortunately that can be a big risk when it comes to bangernomics. You can get lucky and buy a car on the cheap that has had loads of work done to it in the last 5/8/10/12k miles and will run then for a good while without needing anything doing, or you can get unlucky and buy something that needs this, that and something else done to it all at the same time.

Case in point, I bought a 03 A6 TDI last June for €900 that had a heap of expensive maintenance carried out by the previous owner over the previous 18 months. Clutch, timing belt, tyres etc. It was great, I drove it for about 6 months and got a good 8k miles out of it without needing to spend a cent on it.

I have a 07 Civic hybrid now, bought a few weeks ago for €1k. Already its had two tyres at €160, its due a service and transmission fluid change, new wipers and it will probably need a few bits for an NCT in a few months. ****e luck really, but the car was cheap to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Unfortunately that can be a big risk when it comes to bangernomics. You can get lucky and buy a car on the cheap that has had loads of work done to it in the last 5/8/10/12k miles and will run then for a good while without needing anything doing, or you can get unlucky and buy something that needs this, that and something else done to it all at the same time.

Case in point, I bought a 03 A6 TDI last June for €900 that had a heap of expensive maintenance carried out by the previous owner over the previous 18 months. Clutch, timing belt, tyres etc. It was great, I drove it for about 6 months and got a good 8k miles out of it without needing to spend a cent on it.

I have a 07 Civic hybrid now, bought a few weeks ago for €1k. Already its had two tyres at €160, its due a service and transmission fluid change, new wipers and it will probably need a few bits for an NCT in a few months. ****e luck really, but the car was cheap to begin with.

You think that's bad, I saw a delivery guy today trying to get a jump start on his small 191 Renault van.

The electric windows were working but nothing happened when he turned the key to start it. Not a light lit up on the dash and a load of perishables in the back.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

10l/100km is about it and may improve slightly on a long run but not hugely.

I've been running a 1.6 petrol Stilo (which should be about the same as a 1.6 focus) for the last 3 years and ive never averaged 10l/100km. Worst case of nothing other than cold start school runs/trips to shop is 9l/100km. If a 1.6 hatch from that era is only doing 10l average, then you should be getting it checked.

Average for a 200km round trip of N-roads (no motorway) without being too careful is an easy 6l/100km. 5.6 is my record. Because of the realtively low gearing in these cars, motorways will drop that to about 7.

On a side note: Yes, that bangernomics fixerupper 2004 Stilo Multiwagon that I picked up for 350 euros over 3 years ago passed its latest NCT in march only needing tyres. Still going strong! nearly 60,000kms up on it.

That car deserves it's own thread :).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've been running a 1.6 petrol Stilo (which should be about the same as a 1.6 focus) for the last 3 years and ive never averaged 10l/100km. Worst case of nothing other than cold start school runs/trips to shop is 9l/100km. If a 1.6 hatch from that era is only doing 10l average, then you should be getting it checked.

Average for a 200km round trip of N-roads (no motorway) without being too careful is an easy 6l/100km. 5.6 is my record. Because of the realtively low gearing in these cars, motorways will drop that to about 7.

On a side note: Yes, that bangernomics fixerupper 2004 Stilo Multiwagon that I picked up for 350 euros over 3 years ago passed its latest NCT in march only needing tyres. Still going strong! nearly 60,000kms up on it.

Speaking of fixer upper. I was over in the luxobarge thread earlier. Is the fixer upper thread still going or where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Wow! Ok so your an experienced Banger :)

What do people make of this

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21343503

Tax is the only thing putting me off.
    He dropped the price recently. Then again we would need to know the maintenance carried out I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

He dropped the price recently. Then again we would need to know the maintenance carried out I suppose.

Actually judging by the worn gearstick this car might be clocked. Hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Actually judging by the worn gearstick this car might be clocked. Hmmmm....

True I would be very sceptical of it been a near 50k mile car to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Abs light is on too I think.

That car looks okay on the face of things, and it would be a nice buy at a grand. I too would be skeptical of the mileage though. The steering wheel/gear knob/driver's seat bolster (you can just see in photo 5 where the offside bolster is gone a bit white from wear) don't look right for a car with 86k kms.

I think the yellow warning light in photo 9 is just a brake pad wear light.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-bluebird/21742367

YzZhODgzNDcyMTBiMjkyMDFhNjFjMjk0M2YzYjQ0ODXQMbMl6JaDUCVnrcEFzMySaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM2NDg4NDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Look at this! NCT till end of the year, nearly classic tax..€1400

I'd bet this could be had close enough to a grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The rust would be a concern. They were notorious for rotting especially around the wings and doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Speaking of fixer upper. I was over in the luxobarge thread earlier. Is the fixer upper thread still going or where is it?

Its slow enough over there lately, but Colm posted a shady Octavia recently. Fully NCT'ed cars can be had for so little these days it hardly makes sense to chance anything without one.

linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

ZGY1ZmNjNjMyMTA3ODk4ODRiNDVhY2Q0YjBlNjkxMDIMx63BN5n4qCZnry0wFQQyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM2NDQzMjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT until next year and 2 months tax
    Asking €650

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

MmQzNzQyNjVmNDllZmJjMDdmODE3ZjBlNDVjOTAxYzQUagELvT64gaHDDyWr0jgHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM2NDA3NDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Same owner from new
    NCT until Feb 2020
    Motor Tax until Feb 2020
    105,000 miles
    Looks like a genuine car
    €650 also! The road tax alone is probably worth about 3 or 400 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    MmQzNzQyNjVmNDllZmJjMDdmODE3ZjBlNDVjOTAxYzQUagELvT64gaHDDyWr0jgHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM2NDA3NDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Same owner from new
    NCT until Feb 2020
    Motor Tax until Feb 2020
    105,000 miles
    Looks like a genuine car
    €650 also! The road tax alone is probably worth about 3 or 400 quid

Seller could nearly fill this thread by himself

https://www.donedeal.ie/all

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-bluebird/21742367

YzZhODgzNDcyMTBiMjkyMDFhNjFjMjk0M2YzYjQ0ODXQMbMl6JaDUCVnrcEFzMySaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM2NDg4NDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Look at this! NCT till end of the year, nearly classic tax..€1400

I'd bet this could be had close enough to a grand

Jesus. This is like the carina again. I need to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wow haven't seen a bluebird in yonks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

wow I didn't think there were many bluebirds left on the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I didn't think there were many bluebirds left on the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lads someone needs to buy this. If only as an investment.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Lads someone needs to buy this. If only as an investment.

It can be the boards bluebird.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Like a Bulgarian time share.

But more likely to appreciate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My folks rented a stanza for my communion, I'd buy one if it popped up.
    We didnt have a car til years later, so that thing felt like a porsche to us!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Check the engine. They are bad on burning oil and issues with head gasket leads to coolant going in. It's also too much for the 4door saloon. There was another last week only a few pages back, with a lot of info on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Mask 13

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-toyota-corolla/21654848

Seems like Good value for a run around or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-toyota-corolla/21654848

Seems like Good value for a run around or am I missing something?

Drives good

instead of perfect ;)

Still, that is cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Tempted to buy and keep as a donor! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thats a bargain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement