Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

If that Astra has an ecotech engine which I reckon it does then forget about it, it’s at its max mileage now. It’s head gasket is probably blown. By all means for have a look at it but I wouldn’t touch an Opel with one of those engines ever again. They just chew themselves up overtime and poof!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

Listen for timing chain rattle aswell that's what killed my GFs one

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Peugeot 106 with NCT for €425.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21759952

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very holy.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Very holy.

Indeed. Only missing a set of rosary beads dangling from the rear view mirror. Tidy car all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If I could insure that, I'd love to get that...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Indeed. Only missing a set of rosary beads dangling from the rear view mirror. .......

I dont see a 'St Christopher' stuck on the dash :D

IIRC you have to have very small feet to avoid working two pedals at once on that yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Lads, what's a better car, 1.6 petrol or 1.8 tdci Mondeo, 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The wet timing belt difficulty with the 1.8 tdci of that vintage makes the 1.6 petrol potentially a safer buy.

Theyve been known to break and even if the car is running okay now - it's a big enough (expensive) job to do.

The 2.0 TDCI would be better then either though ideally

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m sure I took that car as a trade in around 15 years ago. Had tiny mileage then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Old diesel wrote: »
    The wet timing belt difficulty with the 1.8 tdci of that vintage makes the 1.6 petrol potentially a safer buy.

Theyve been known to break and even if the car is running okay now - it's a big enough (expensive) job to do.

2008 1.8 may or may not have a wet belt. Could just be a chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

That particular 1.6 petrol is a great engine, but I had it in a car a few hundred kilos lighter than the Mondeo. The fuel economy above 100km/h wasn't great - probably down to it being paired with a 5 speed gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Interslice wrote: »

2008 1.8 may or may not have a wet belt. Could just be a chain.

I thought mid 2007 was change over point????.

Edit I mean change over point for the engine going from chain to wet belt.

I though mid 07 was mentioned in the big thread that was running here at one stage on the wet belt issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

That particular 1.6 petrol is a great engine, but I had it in a car a few hundred kilos lighter than the Mondeo. The fuel economy above 100km/h wasn't great - probably down to it being paired with a 5 speed gearbox.
    The 1.8 diesel in the MK4 Mondeo has the wet belt, and it's a bugger to change. I have an 08 with the 1.6 petrol engine. It's power is adequate in a car that size, but only just. The engine is bullet proof, and costs pennies to fix if it ever does go wrong. The 5 speed gearbox is the standard yoke that's been in pretty much every Ford of that era, and my only gripe is a rather low top gear. The engine is buzzing away at 3,600rpm on the motorway. I'm getting 8.2l/100km, or 34MPG in old money, which isn't great. As mentioned previously, it's probably down to all the motorway driving I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I said Id ask for a friend, any chance of a small van in this price range with tax/nct etc? Ill ask in the other thread aswell if the mods dont mind...

TychoCaine wrote:
    The 1.8 diesel in the MK4 Mondeo has the wet belt, and it's a bugger to change. I have an 08 with the 1.6 petrol engine. It's power is adequate in a car that size, but only just. The engine is bullet proof, and costs pennies to fix if it ever does go wrong. The 5 speed gearbox is the standard yoke that's been in pretty much every Ford of that era, and my only gripe is a rather low top gear. The engine is buzzing away at 3,600rpm on the motorway. I'm getting 8.2l/100km, or 34MPG in old money, which isn't great. As mentioned previously, it's probably down to all the motorway driving I do.

Would the 2L petrol be a better shout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

colm_mcm wrote: »

Lovely looking car. Only concern is no mention of mileage apart from stating it had 165,000 when imported from the UK and it would appear the current owner owns it 6 years, so could be fairly steep, although it looks very fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Thargor wrote: »
    I said Id ask for a friend, any chance of a small van in this price range with tax/nct etc? Ill ask in the other thread aswell if the mods dont mind...

Do you mean a car/van?
    Petrol or diesel?
    Any particular size needed?

A van will have CVRT rather than NCT regardless of whether it is taxed commercially or privately

Also, if they are looking for one with tax, that too will depend on whether they plan to tax it commercial or private

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Would the 2L petrol be a better shout?

I had a 1.6 petrol Mondeo, 09 (I think) away back in the day for the bones of a week as a courtesy car from insurance when someone ran into the back of my Vectra and totalled it. Was actually a pleasant and adequately agile car to drive I thought at the time. When I say adequately agile enough I'm bearing in mind that on our roads 80 - 90% of the time you are only as fast as the red tail lamps of the driver in front of you. Don't get that confused with me saying it was a fast car. It certainly was a lot more nippy than a Mk1 1.4 Focus though. I had away too much going on at the time to be calculating fuel consumption but don't recall it being a pig on juice.

The 2.0 petrol is actually relatively ok on the CO2 tax at €710 but no doubt it'll scare a lot off which would make them not a bad used buy in that regard. By comparison the 1.6 petrol is €570 pa to tax on CO2 tax so not a hell of a lot in it. Don't assume the 2 litre will be near as frugal as the 1.6 petrol (even though there are whacko's out there who will try to convince you otherwise). Of course take potential difference in insurance cost into consideration also. The 1.6 petrol should be adequate for most for day to day driving though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2-2-ctdi-cheap-tax/20785678

2008 Accord 2.2 CDTi;
    303K KM;
    NCT 09/19;
    €390 pa tax
    Half leather;
    On at €1,650

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I thought mid 2007 was change over point????.

Edit I mean change over point for the engine going from chain to wet belt.

I though mid 07 was mentioned in the big thread that was running here at one stage on the wet belt issue.
    TychoCaine wrote: »
    The 1.8 diesel in the MK4 Mondeo has the wet belt, and it's a bugger to change. I have an 08 with the 1.6 petrol engine.

I was investigating this myself to see if I could pick up a cheap tax 2008 mondeo with a chain. As far as i could gather mondeos built after 10/07 have the wet belt so its only really the odd late reg that will be a 2008 and will probably still be taxed on the old cc system. You could safely say if it a 2008 on the CO2 tax it has a wet belt.

The seller has pushed the price up from 1950 to 2500 on DD for the 1.6 petrol. That's the deal breaker for me. The search continues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mk3-vw-golf-gti/21783577

€2250, would you drive it away for €2k?

The Mk3 is about as unloved as the Mk6 and rightly so but that's a nice colour and nice spec with the seats. I think polished up it'd be lovely. Not old old, but a cheap way to get into older cars you could out that on display at any classic day out IMO and you could still daily it.

Maybe I'm mad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭cletus

Interslice wrote: »
    I was investigating this myself to see if I could pick up a cheap tax 2008 mondeo with a chain. As far as i could gather mondeos built after 10/07 have the wet belt so its only really the odd late reg that will be a 2008 and will probably still be taxed on the old cc system. You could safely say if it a 2008 on the CO2 tax it has a wet belt.

I'm thinking of having a look at a 2011 Mondeo estate with the 1.8 diesel engine, but the last page or so of this thread has me thinking. How much of an issue is the wet belt on the MK4?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mk3-vw-golf-gti/21783577

€2250, would you drive it away for €2k?

The Mk3 is about as unloved as the Mk6 and rightly so but that's a nice colour and nice spec with the seats. I think polished up it'd be lovely. Not old old, but a cheap way to get into older cars you could out that on display at any classic day out IMO and you could still daily it.

Maybe I'm mad :pac:

They will undoubtedly go up in value soon, but there’s no way I’d pay that much for something so slow.

Yeah, 3.0 fuel economy, 2.0 tax and 1.0 performance. It's still a good time to buy that car though I'd say.

What would be the real BHP from these GTIs today?

115 new so 70 or 80 maybe? Laughable really when 1.0's are doing that these days.

• Advertisement

115 new so 70 or 80 maybe? Laughable really when 1.0's are doing that these days.

Good f%ck that's poor. When you look at it that way that's big money to be asking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement