Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-vrs/21798380

MGFjY2JhOWQ5NTVkNzY1ZDcwZDA1MTExYWJiY2UyNjLrlY1NMOwYbzG07QBlujjBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQwMjk0NTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

VRS diesel with test till November and a wisp of tax, €1750

WCPGW?

With the gearbox, clutch and flywheel all done, that would be my biggest concern on that particular car with the mileage on it, so to answer your WCPGW....possibly very little! Nice find

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think they give DPF trouble dont they? Either way, probably work out ok for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I think they give DPF trouble dont they? Either way, probably work out ok for the money.

Straight pipe and remap for preventative maintenance...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I’m kind of tempted by it myself. Been looking at it all day..

Obligatory:

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I’m kind of tempted by it myself. Been looking at it all day..

Obligatory:

hqdefault.jpg

Me too actually. Looking for something like this a cheap reliable diesel due to longer commute.
    What are these like to live with in reality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

oceanman wrote: »
    you could get better for the money.

Cheers lads. I've no experience with Opel at all.
    I'll keep looking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

W123-80's wrote: »
    Swap complete. Mayo to Cork and back today.
    A6 sitting outside now!
    Got it for €780 in the end. It's as good as I expected. Not spotless bodywise, interior is very clean. Drives lovely. Ate up the miles from Cork to Mayo on the way home.
    Delighted with it tbh!
    Viva la Bangernomics!

Bangernomics update!

The A6 passed the NCT first go this evening. I had it serviced last week and had 2 other issues sorted. Alternator pully belt and a front bushing.
    I've done almost 3k in it since I bought it. Eating up miles.
    The timing belt is due in the next month and it needs two front tyres soon.
    The Octavia was due a belt and a service when I sold it so I'm justifying the jobs due on the A6 that way! I would have been spending that maintenance money anyway.
    In saying all that it would have been nice to have picked up something that didn't need as many little jobs in the first couple of months.
    It's a lovely old car though, really comfortable, plenty of poke not that I'm a fast driver and looks fairly respectable.
    I'll keep it for approx 20k miles and weigh up my options then.
    Viva la Bangernomics!

Bangernomics update!

The A6 passed the NCT first go this evening. I had it serviced last week and had 2 other issues sorted. Alternator pully belt and a front bushing.
    I've done almost 3k in it since I bought it. Eating up miles.
    The timing belt is due in the next month and it needs two front tyres soon.
    The Octavia was due a belt and a service when I sold it so I'm justifying the jobs due on the A6 that way! I would have been spending that maintenance money anyway.
    In saying all that it would have been nice to have picked up something that didn't need as many little jobs in the first couple of months.
    It's a lovely old car though, really comfortable, plenty of poke not that I'm a fast driver and looks fairly respectable.
    I'll keep it for approx 20k miles and weigh up my options then.
    Viva la Bangernomics!

What year is the A6. Is it the 2.0 tdi engine?
    Lovely car in fairness.

christy02 wrote: »
    Lovely car in fairness.

'03
    It's a 1.9.
    Not sure what code, I never checked. I am led to believe some are better than others?

They really are such brilliant cars!

• Advertisement

'03
    It's a 1.9.
    Not sure what code, I never checked. I am led to believe some are better than others?

Is yours 5 speed?

Is yours 5 speed?

6 speed
    Had gearbox removed and bearings done late 2017. Receipts with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Lovely car in fairness.

'03
    It's a 1.9.

AWX is the 130hp PD job.

6 speed is AVF isn't it?

Mine was AWX, 5 speed 130 bhp

AWX is the 130hp PD job.

Mine is a 130hp, so presumably AWX?
    Is that good or bad?!

Mine is a 130hp, so presumably AWX?
    Is that good or bad?!

Its very good, AVF and AWX are basically the same thing with a few differences (namely 5 v 6 speed)

Its very good, AVF and AWX are basically the same thing with a few differences (namely 5 v 6 speed)

The 2.0 is the engine that had issue with oil pump balancing shaft right?
    Apparently best to be avoided, however lots out there with mega mileage so can’t be too bad. Only hear about the ones that go wrong I suppose.
    Looking at a 05 2.0 tdi. Super looking car.

The 2.0 is the engine that had issue with oil pump balancing shaft right?
    Apparently best to be avoided, however lots out there with mega mileage so can’t be too bad. Only hear about the ones that go wrong I suppose.
    Looking at a 05 2.0 tdi. Super looking car.

I had two of them and they were fantastic cars. I did near enough 20k miles in the gold one alone in the space of 12 months and never had an issue, never even had to lift the bonnet on it actually. The black one would have done the same again I'd say but I didn't keep it as long. They were great cars. I was literally in every corner of the country in the gold one and could always step out of it feeling fresh as a daily no matter how long I'd been on the road. By this stage most of them have been sorted I'd say. I'd recommend one to anybody and just advise checking the history for preventative maintenance re. the oil pump or just pay to have it done, you'll have a great car then.

39803885763_f5aefd3cec_c.jpg

31827678817_33ea5b5388_c.jpg

I had two of them and they were fantastic cars. I did near enough 20k miles in the gold one alone in the space of 12 months and never had an issue, never even had to lift the bonnet on it actually. The black one would have done the same again I'd say but I didn't keep it as long. They were great cars. I was literally in every corner of the country in the gold one and could always step out of it feeling fresh as a daily no matter how long I'd been on the road. By this stage most of them have been sorted I'd say. I'd recommend one to anybody and just advise checking the history for preventative maintenance re. the oil pump or just pay to have it done, you'll have a great car then.

39803885763_f5aefd3cec_c.jpg

31827678817_33ea5b5388_c.jpg

They look unreal and great value. Do you reckon if they have done 180k miles they would have gone wrong by now if they were going to?

Might try and get up to see that Octavia VRS later in week also. Probably be snapped up quickly though.

To be fair neither were exactly bangernomics money when I had them. I paid €2500 for the gold one and sold it for about 17 I think, but I had well gotten my money’s worth by the time I was done with it.

The black one was €3000 and I ended up trading it for an 06 CLS after a few months.

But they are well in bangernomics territory now. Look for the best example you can afford (a well put together is the first good sign IMO) and go from there. Ring and ask about history, go and check for yourself but to be honest at this stage in their lives I wouldn’t really be worried about one issue that has been around and recorded for the last what, 12-13 years?

• Advertisement

To be fair neither were exactly bangernomics money when I had them. I paid €2500 for the gold one and sold it for about 17 I think, but I had well gotten my money’s worth by the time I was done with it.

The black one was €3000 and I ended up trading it for an 06 CLS after a few months.

But they are well in bangernomics territory now. Look for the best example you can afford (a well put together is the first good sign IMO) and go from there. Ring and ask about history, go and check for yourself but to be honest at this stage in their lives I wouldn’t really be worried about one issue that has been around and recorded for the last what, 12-13 years?

Yeah plenty around so can be picky. Mind me asking were they auto or manual? I saw a nice auto one but unsure would it be a lot heavier on diesel than manual.

They were both manual. I’d stick with a manual if I was buying another personally, and I say that as someone who usually prefers an auto box. They are a car that is not exactly better suited to one of the other IMO, but generally the Audi multitronic box isn’t brilliant.

They were both manual. I’d stick with a manual if I was buying another personally, and I say that as someone who usually prefers an auto box. They are a car that is not exactly better suited to one of the other IMO, but generally the Audi multitronic box isn’t brilliant.

Yeah thought as much. Will give auto one a miss. Any issues with the electronic hand brake?

No issues. They used to creak like mad when engaged, but still worked and never was trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Short NCT, might be a bit low but it's a LWB V8 for less than €2K. Only for the brave/foolish. €600 of tax left on it males it tempting and drops the real price down to below €1,400.

2001 S430L, 07/19, €1,995

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-s430l-nct-tax-1-995/21796555

YmNkMTc3NmQ0MGFjODBjNzY4YzJjZjFiODQxZDFjZmJbQCfXvZrFlk05KIvpt5FEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQwMTYyMzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    MzA3OWFkNzlhN2Y1YWFkNzNjMDJiNjQ3NWZiMjkxZmYf-urD2Qcwu6rX7UsTOLyyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQwMTYyMzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'll give this a mention, it's €2,500, I doubt the seller will let it go for €2K, but it's possibly the last year you will see one of these for sale for near this price.
    Roof looks good, which is a bonus.

1992 MX-5, 09/19, €2,500

ZTc2ZTcyZmY3MmE5NjU3ZDc4MmRiOGJjN2Q5MTM5NmFhQP73OM55tuLuH57WAI5RaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM5ODY4MzB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

'03 Civic 1.6
    NCT July '20
    84k miles

Bit of a shouty advert, but looks like a nice car if it checks out.

Asking €1,000

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/honda-civic-new-july-2020-nct-only-84000-miles-/21729388

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Looks lovely and all. Also an import eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Looks lovely and all. Also an import eh?

Could be UK import? but definitely not japanese import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Could be UK import? but definitely not japanese import.

More likely a UK import. But it's still an import :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement