Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I know it's bangernomics, but that colour is dreadful:mad:

Dreadful? I think it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

it's objectively dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭CoBo55

In 1972:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lawred2 wrote: »
    maybe but at that price!? that's a comfortable looking cruiser..

It's a gamble imo. Those engines are known for head gasket failure, egr valve problems, etc. It could also be due a new clutch/flywheel. The cynic in me would think that it's former keeper knew these expenses were on the horizon so decided to part ways with it instead, maybe when the tax/nct ran out. It's being sold as a trade sale by the dealer so the risk is totally on the buyer even at that asking price. It could get someone out of a bind for a few months if there was a bit of tax and/or NCT on it but imo it would still really want to be a sub 1k car for that so that you can walk away from it without it owing you too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

woodseb wrote: »

Not one pic of the black leather interior- how do I know if it was a short arse or a chubby that did those miles 🀔

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

woodseb wrote: »

Had to almost give my one away, they are a ball of manure. Engine nothing but hassle and won't pull you out of bed. PCV valve leaking and getting blocked, gaskets going, chain issues, sensor issues, lot of them blow smoke, warm start issues. Never again.. Mind you it didn't put me off BMW, just a horrendous engine.

Almost forgot, the wings love to rust too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I know it's bangernomics, but that colour is dreadful:mad:

Just highlights how subjective a car colour is. I personally like it. Not the usual greys or browns they are so common in.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-july-2019-mercedes-clk/21875011
    Mercedes CLK 2.0
    NCT 07/19
    Asking €750.
    I wouldn't normally put one in here and arguably the dodgy wheel bearing strictly rules it out but it struck me as a very nice original looking example. These have surely bottomed out in value and can only rise, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just highlights how subjective a car colour is. I personally like it. Not the usual greys or browns they are so common in.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-july-2019-mercedes-clk/21875011
    Mercedes CLK 2.0
    NCT 07/19
    Asking €750.
    I wouldn't normally put one in here and arguably the dodgy wheel bearing strictly rules it out but it struck me as a very nice original looking example. These have surely bottomed out in value and can only rise, right?

Why has he got it up on a step for the photo?

I never like that frontend tbh and I never thought it suited the CLK body. Always looked too ungainly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why has he got it up on a step for the photo?

I never like that frontend tbh and I never thought it suited the CLK body. Always looked too ungainly for me.

It looks like the phoenix park. I also never liked the front end on that era merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Been ogling this for the last week, he has reduced the price by €300 since then. I know it has the 2.0 diesel over the 1.9 but FSH is nice. NCT and decent chunk of tax. Love the look of the Avants personally

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21810169

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Been ogling this for the last week, he has reduced the price by €300 since then. I know it has the 2.0 diesel over the 1.9 but FSH is nice. NCT and decent chunk of tax. Love the look of the Avants personally

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21810169

Needs leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

terrydel wrote: »
    Needs leather.

Far from a deal breaker in this part of the world. Nice example, and one of the best shapes of that era in estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dodzy wrote: »
    Far from a deal breaker in this part of the world. Nice example, and one of the best shapes of that era in estate.

Its a lovely shape alright, very timeless and classy. You're right, its one of the best shapes of many an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

terrydel wrote: »
    Its a lovely shape alright, very timeless and classy. You're right, its one of the best shapes of many an era.

Agreed, very classy and sits lovely on those RS6 wheels. I typed in the details into an insurance website and it’s coming back as being the 170 bhp variant. Not sure if that’s good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What's the hoohah about it being the 2.0l instead of the 1.9l?

I've seen it all the time, but never seen a reasoning for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Oil pump failure resulting in written off engines very common in the first couple of years of the 2.0. you'd have to check any VAG with a 2.0 to see if it has an effected engine code. I think I read the 170 wasn't effected but worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Back in the day they had oil pump issues with the drive mechanism for said pump.

The 170s had Siemens injectors issues that were bad enough to create a recall.

Some of them had cylinder heads go pourous too.

This is on the PD 2.0

Reversal wrote: »
    Oil pump failure resulting in written off engines very common in the first couple of years of the 2.0. you'd have to check any VAG with a 2.0 to see if it has an effected engine code. I think I read the 170 wasn't effected but worth looking into.

On a 13 year old car, wouldn't any issues have presented before this, and you're taking a risk on any parts failing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I ran a 07 A3 2.0 tdi years ago and bar an egr dying it was flawless. My other half had an 06 A3 2.0 tdi too and it never let us down in 3 years of ownership. Flywheel was beginning to rattle when I sold it but it still had plenty left in it. They are very good on diesel. Noisy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Reversal wrote: »

Same issues unfortunately. On this particular motor, there is a twin balance shaft setup inside the sump that is either chain or gear driven. The former was more troublesome as both the chain tensioner and the hex drive key could cause issues, worst case resulting in failed turbo and ultimately death to engine. The precursor for this is a red oil pressure warning light. See this, stop immediately and you should be OK. The later model had the same balance shaft assembly but was gear driven, eliminating the tensioner as a fail point but the hex key remained. Sad to think that a 5€ part could kill an engine.

All that aside, they sold millions on units, many of which never caused trouble. But it was well documented across multitude of fora on the issue. Would not put me off in the slightest in this price range. If you hear any rattles from underneath, then that'll be the chain slack on the drive sprockets - in which case, walk away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'03 Polo with test
    It qualifies
    :pac::pac:

Asking €1,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bagged-polo-price-drop/21274244

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

W123-80's wrote: »
    '03 Polo with test
    It qualifies

Asking €1,950

Wasn' t there a condition that it should be something you would be ok to drive yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

W123-80's wrote: »
    '03 Polo with test
    It qualifies

Asking €1,950

That's horrendous and not just the price

I'd drive it.

It'd kill me to pay 2k for an 03 polo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 20,583 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

fairly high mileage, but a decent price. What's the tax on it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

2smiggy wrote: »
    fairly high mileage, but a decent price. What's the tax on it ?
    710 for the year according to motortax.ie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement