Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Not saying it's a total deal breaker at that price but the panel gaps around the front of the car wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Maybe it's my eyesight, but I can't genuinely see anything that is majorly off in those pics??

Also, I see it's now down to 1995 from 2350, but as you said, at this money, it certanly would not be a deal breaker for me either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-prius-t-4/21941473

ZThmNGEwNGYxZGRkNDVkMDcyMGUzNDViOGNlMTIxMDefE-r-U5l0qJTXIFNv6ZQgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjUwODAxOTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking Prius with good spec and low miles, test till November, €1999

Lovely looking car.

These questions are not directly at you Duke but you might hazard a guess, would something like that be expected to last a while without major investment and be practical for doing maybe 300km's a week made up of lot's of short journeys?

Can these be plugged in at home without hassle? There's a public charger near where it would be parked and I've rarely seen a car plugged into it. How much would it cost to run if it was nearly fully charged all the time?

I know there are a lot of variable factors involved but I'm only looking for educated bar stool advice not a written warranty.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lovely looking car.

These questions are not directly at you Duke but you might hazard a guess, would something like that be expected to last a while without major investment and be practical for doing maybe 300km's a week made up of lot's of short journeys?

Can these be plugged in at home without hassle? There's a public charger near where it would be parked and I've rarely seen a car plugged into it. How much would it cost to run if it was nearly fully charged all the time?

I know there are a lot of variable factors involved but I'm only looking for educated bar stool advice not a written warranty.

It's a Hybrid so petrol and electric. You do not need to plug in as the engine and braking charge the battery. They are great for stuck in traffic so if you live in a city with lots of stop start driving the electric motor is great. Then once you have a clear road switch on engine and drive.

In normal engines you use more fuel stuck in traffic stop start driving that is why Hydrids are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Maybe it's my eyesight, but I can't genuinely see anything that is majorly off in those pics??

Also, I see it's now down to 1995 from 2350, but as you said, at this money, it certanly would not be a deal breaker for me either

You could park another A6 in the gap between the bonnet and bumper, or the gaps under the headlights.

You could park another A6 in the gap between the bonnet and bumper, or the gaps under the headlights.

I went back to have a look and don't see anything out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lovely looking car.

That has the self parking too. Great tech for such an old car.

It's a Hybrid so petrol and electric. You do not need to plug in as the engine and braking charge the battery. They are great for stuck in traffic so if you live in a city with lots of stop start driving the electric motor is great. Then once you have a clear road switch on engine and drive.

In normal engines you use more fuel stuck in traffic stop start driving that is why Hydrids are great.

Ahhh, thanks for explaining wotzactuallygoingon!

Would something like this be suited for non stop 10km journeys doing at most 50km an hour? As in would it work out more economical to run than something similar sized and age in straight petrol?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Actually now that you say it, i can't unsee it, but seems to be an A6 thing :confused:

a6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lovely looking car.

It isn't a PHEV, you don't charge it from the plug. Its hybrid nature helps it achieve excellent fuel economy - the energy otherwise lost during breaking is captured instead and reused.

Fantastic car, despite being awful ascetically, the best car I ever owned.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Actually now that you say it, i can't unsee it, but seems to be an A6 thing :confused:

https://i.ibb.co/mFn6n4F/a6.jpg

Yeah, must just be the way they are then, they all look similar.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    It isn't a PHEV, you don't charge it from the plug. Its hybrid nature helps it achieve excellent fuel economy - the energy otherwise lost during breaking is captured instead and reused.

Fantastic car, despite being awful ascetically, the best car I ever owned.

Would you think one like the one in the ad would do another 100k miles without any big outlay looming?

I have a dread of some big expense lurking in the long grass with these modern yokes, there could be chocolate or cheese or tofu gearboxes just waiting to give in after 150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

When you buy a banger you don't really plan for 150k km ahead.

More like couple of months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yeah, speaking as a bangernomics hybrid owner - don't do it.

One hybrid battery warning light on the dash and its all over. I keep reading about IMA Civic problems online, and I get more and more paranoid. I'm waiting to get a new test on mine before selling it on

wonski wrote: »
    When you buy a banger you don't really plan for 150k km ahead.

More like couple of months ;)

I hear ya wonski, that's why I don't want to buy a banger.

One hybrid battery warning light on the dash and its all over. I keep reading about IMA Civic problems online, and I get more and more paranoid. I'm waiting to get a new test on mine before selling it on

And that Sir is the caliber of advice I was seeking!

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can’t have everything on your wish list.

You’d easily get a petrol Avensis, early 2008 had cheaper tax.

I was told that only the latter half of 08 have the cheaper tax. That's why it's a wish list. I'd settle for some of it if I can't have all. :)

You do know they could still put in an insurance claim against you..... I would be contacting insurance and stating the facts that there was a collision and they took responsibility.

I've contacted insurance and two sets of guards so I should be in the clear. They told me at the scene that they were scrapping it when I offered them the chance to meet up and get the second key if they were intending to sell it on. He also assured the guard that went to speak to him at his residence that the car had been crushed within a couple of hours. The guard who knows them seems to think that I got a good deal and won't have any comeback.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    they gave you some cash for a car that they crashed into?

do you still have the registration cert? Is the car still in your name?

Posted to Shannon.
    bear1 wrote: »
    you can't be serious?

If that's directed at me. Yes, I am. I made the best of a **** situation. They reversed into me trying to make room for a bin lorry coming the other way. They seemed decent enough although looked like they were going to do a runner when I suggested calling the guards. One of them asked me how much I'd paid for my car and I told them.. rounded up slightly. Then they offered to buy it from me. I guessed that the driver wasn't insured and if I lifted my phone to call the guards they'd have legged it in their pick-up. Actually while I was repeating moronically on a loop that "we need to call the guards" a garda car passed us doing 0.5 miles an hour and didn't bother their arses to pause for a moment, open the window and ask if everything was ok when it was obvious that an accident had just occured. Donuts calling or somesuch.

If I'd gone through my insurance I'd have gotten **** all and probably blown my no claims bonus through having to claim from myself. The guard who checked them out seemed to think I'd done well for myself. I was pretty shocked from the accident, slightly intimidated and very nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

And that Sir is the caliber of advice I was seeking!

Thank you.

The Honda hybrid system I have is a bit different to that in the Toyota, but in my case anyway the fuel savings have been minimal over my previous 1.3 petrol corolla.

I was told that only the latter half of 08 have the cheaper tax. That's why it's a wish list. I'd settle for some of it if I can't have all. :)

That's diesel engines. Some clown some where decided diesels are clean and our dumb government decided to give them cheap tax rates. ( you couldn't even make this up)

Yes supposedly they have less C02 but they are still not clean they produce other emissions and that clown mentioned above never seemed to think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, most countries use Co2 as a measurement for environmental performance. The Kyoto protocol is based on the premise that CO2 (amongst others) causes global warming. It’s not just something random like window tax.
    Of course it was shortsighted on the part of the Greens, but these sort of measures in many countries have led to manufacturers upping their game in terms of petrol cars. There’s no way turbocharged petrols would be so commonplace if it weren’t for emissions taxation.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair, most countries use Co2 as a measurement for environmental performance. The Kyoto protocol is based on the premise that CO2 (amongst others) causes global warming. It’s not just something random like window tax.

Never mind me I'm still pissed that diesels got cheap tax while majority of petrol cars got screwed. :D

Petrol all the way..... :cool:

• Advertisement

That's diesel engines. Some clown some where decided diesels are clean and our dumb government decided to give them cheap tax rates. ( you couldn't even make this up)

Yes supposedly they have less C02 but they are still not clean they produce other emissions and that clown mentioned above never seemed to think about that.

NOx isn't a particularly big component of greenhouse gases/climate change. N2O is a huge component, and is largely produced by catalytic convertors. Diesels and Petrols produce roughly the same amounts of N2O.

Diesel produce less Co2, the same N2O, more NOx and more particulate matter. They are definitely better for the environment than an equivalent petrol car, while also being worse for human health. Which is also probably better for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

We have a 08 civic hybrid. Bought it a year ago. IMA light came on shortly after we bought it.
    Got battery replaced under warranty from a guy in Clare for around 800 euro. Fine ever since. Years warranty on battery.
    Does 55 mpg easily. I have monitored it a lot. Wife’s car and she does mainly short spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

NOx isn't a particularly big component of greenhouse gases/climate change. N2O is a huge component, and is largely produced by catalytic convertors. Diesels and Petrols produce roughly the same amounts of N2O.

Diesel produce less Co2, the same N2O, more NOx and more particulate matter. They are definitely better for the environment than an equivalent petrol car, while also being worse for human health. Which is also probably better for the environment.

Never thought about it like that:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

christy02 wrote: »

We have a 08 civic hybrid. Bought it a year ago. IMA light came on shortly after we bought it.
    Got battery replaced under warranty from a guy in Clare for around 800 euro. Fine ever since. Years warranty on battery.
    Does 55 mpg easily. I have monitored it a lot. Wife’s car and she does mainly short spins.

The main hybrid battery?????.

Was it a refurbished/rebuilt one.

christy02 wrote: »

This is the stuff that gives me the heebee jeebees.

It's not actually that bad though is it. If someone got a 2008 A4 and it needed a flywheel or a set if injectors it'd be similar money. The only difficult but is not too many lads will work on those batterys.

Wouldn't be for me either though, for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-tdi-estate-nct-5-20-mint/21830732

Big miles, but plenty of nct and a months tax.
    Looks spotless, good photos too.

Old diesel wrote: »
    The main hybrid battery?????.

Was it a refurbished/rebuilt one.

It was a reconditioned battery. The main hybrid battery. Fitted at my house included in cost.

Why is that? If a flywheel went on car it would cost more than that, and that seems to be perfectly normal nowadays.
    800 euro on a then 10 year old car is hardly horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^That golf #9241 does look mint in fairness - all too often we see cars described as mint that are.....well....far from mint.

This might be handy for first time driver or someone doing a lot of city driving
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-2005-new-nct-5-20-135km/21952885
    2005 Yaris 1.0
    NCT 05/20
    136K KM
    Asking €1,450

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement