Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Nice a6 estate, seems to have a good bit of work done, not sure if some of the essential stuff on these is still required tho?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-avant-s-line/22039342

1995 and nct til Feb next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

terrydel wrote: »
    Nice a6 estate, seems to have a good bit of work done, not sure if some of the essential stuff on these is still required tho?

Jesus, if I had my Cooper S sold, I'd be all over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mini850 wrote: »

You considering changing your username?

Baggly wrote: »
    You considering changing your username?

Ha, nah. that was born from my love of the Classic variant of Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Got a link?

• Advertisement

Got a link?

Not up yet. Need to do the control arm bushes and give her a service before I put her up for sale. It’ll be a sad day

Not up yet. Need to do the control arm bushes and give her a service before I put her up for sale. It’ll be a sad day

Plenty wouldn't let that stop them advertising and selling it mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/octavia-2001-1-9-tdi-nct-12-19-tax-7-19/22046058

2 months tax, 7 months test, bit of wear and tear on it, slight whiff of ex taxi but hard to go wrong for €490.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-bmw-320d-msport-fresh-nct/21970190

No BMW lover personally, this looks well though. 320d M Sport in a good colour, test until January 2020.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-nctd-taxed/21994556

Bit of Mini-nomics. Looks tidy, almost a full years test and a bit of tax. Possibly one for the barn?

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/octavia-2001-1-9-tdi-nct-12-19-tax-7-19/22046058

2 months tax, 7 months test, bit of wear and tear on it, slight whiff of ex taxi but hard to go wrong for €490.

With that mileage it was either owned by a broke taxi driver or its clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

MzA0N2ZiN2E2MDUyYWUxZTQxYjVlMDliNWJjMDUxNzMPS_iLbMCeGly3nRJwdgHmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjU2MjY3MDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-skoda-octavia-1-9-tdi-nct-03-20-amp-4-keys/22017034

2009 mk1 1.9tdi octavia
    Test till the end of next march

Tow bar with no electrics

Whats the score with that and the nice people at the NCT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FDave

0lddog wrote: »
    Tow bar with no electrics

Whats the score with that and the nice people at the NCT ?

It's a Fail. It needs to be removed or a socket wired up. They are actively testing for trailer lights since the 2018 NCTS manual revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

FDave wrote: »
    It's a Fail. It needs to be removed or a socket wired up. They are actively testing for trailer lights since the 2018 NCTS manual revision.

This is an interesting one actually. I was told recently that a car with no trailer light socket fitted, passed the test, as there were no lights to test. Thought it was BS, and never checked until I read this here now again, so I went and looked up the current test manual, and it would appear that if the socket is present, it is subject to test, but it also mentions that it is to be tested (only where fitted)

As I tow a trailer myself, maybe 10 times a year, I always have at least one car between myself or my wifes car with a tow bar, and always make sure when buying, that I have a fully working trailer light connection too, but I find it odd the way they word it in the manual, and it certainly appears like it's only to be tested when fitted.

[EDIT]Of course there could be a far simpler explanation on the one above. I recently bought this Saab 9-3 with a tow bar, but only realised when I arrived to view the car that there was no light socket fitted...or so I thought! Turns out there is in fact a light socket to the left of the towbar and just under the rear bumper, but it's more or less invisible in pics and even looking at the car from behind, until you are down at the same level as the towbar[/EDIT]

saabtowbar.jpg

Plenty wouldn't let that stop them advertising and selling it mate!

Oh I know, but ill just get it done, and the NCT is just up, so ill get that sorted too. The Cooper S deserves it. Bloody awesome car, just need a bigger car for lugging dead bodies and such.

I would be giving out about someone else putting a car up for sale like that so, ill not be called a hypocrite god damn it :D

Oh I know, but ill just get it done, and the NCT is just up, so ill get that sorted too. The Cooper S deserves it. Bloody awesome car, just need a bigger car for lugging dead bodies and such.

I would be giving out about someone else putting a car up for sale like that so, ill not be called a hypocrite god damn it :D

I'm hoping to sell mine (04 a3) soon too, got nct renewed Tuesday and a oil and filter service a couple of weeks back. I just wouldnt sell without making sure all that is sorted at the very least. I just think its the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looks a great buy. If all the work checks out I might snap it up. I already have a 2006 Sline saloon but needs a few jobs done on it.

Is the price about right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looks a great buy. If all the work checks out I might snap it up. I already have a 2006 Sline saloon but needs a few jobs done on it.

Is the price about right ?

That's a lovely car

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jollyballs

I'm hoping to sell mine (04 a3) soon too, got nct renewed Tuesday and a oil and filter service a couple of weeks back. I just wouldnt sell without making sure all that is sorted at the very least. I just think its the right thing to do.

Petrol or Diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I would inspect the left front side for any evidence of an accident as it appears to have a newer headlamp, also is this too new for the oil pump hex bar issue, or was that also updated to gear driven??

Apart from that, I would.

• Advertisement

I would inspect the left front side for any evidence of an accident as it appears to have a newer headlamp, also is this too new for the oil pump hex bar issue, or was that also updated to gear driven??

Apart from that, I would.

I was wondering about the headlamp as well. The RHF looks cloudy and oxidized. I can check out the service history and take for a spin if its still available.

Prob could get it for €1750

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

At my wits end. How do those of you buying 'bangers' and who aren't good with engines and specs make sure you don't buy hapes of shite. I test drove a 06 Focus 1.6 diesel and it seemed to drive well, NCT'd till September. I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a bag of trouble come the NCT so asked my mechanic to have a look at it. He was all gung-ho and then told me that that the 1.6 diesels give lots of trouble as they go up in the years and that he knows someone with a 07 1.8 diesel which would be much better as the engines are more reliable and then dug his heels in on going to check out the 06 because he's trying to flog me an older car with much higher tax.

Everybody has a different idea about the various cars I've looked at. Focuses are grand, n'er a bit of trouble. Focuses are crap, always in the garage. And the same goes for every make I've looked at. I'm on the verge of buying the next car I look at if it starts up first time but I can't because I don't have the money to make mistakes.

Any advice please?

Jollyballs wrote: »
    Petrol or Diesel?

Petrol 1.6 3 door.
    Theres a poster here and we've agreed a price on it, so if I find a replacement soon its his if he wants it. Hoping to get something by end of the month, but buying a house is taking up all my time now, living out in the sticks means going to look at anything takes so much time.

At my wits end. How do those of you buying 'bangers' and who aren't good with engines and specs make sure you don't buy hapes of shite. I test drove a 06 Focus 1.6 diesel and it seemed to drive well, NCT'd till September. I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a bag of trouble come the NCT so asked my mechanic to have a look at it. He was all gung-ho and then told me that that the 1.6 diesels give lots of trouble as they go up in the years and that he knows someone with a 07 1.8 diesel which would be much better as the engines are more reliable and then dug his heels in on going to check out the 06 because he's trying to flog me an older car with much higher tax.

Everybody has a different idea about the various cars I've looked at. Focuses are grand, n'er a bit of trouble. Focuses are crap, always in the garage. And the same goes for every make I've looked at. I'm on the verge of buying the next car I look at if it starts up first time but I can't because I don't have the money to make mistakes.

Any advice please?

For me its about doing a bit of research and evaluating the risk.
    At 2k or less, if you have it 2-3 years and only have to do basic servicing, its a good deal, so if you think that will be the case, go for it.

I was wondering about the headlamp as well. The RHF looks cloudy and oxidized. I can check out the service history and take for a spin if its still available.

Prob could get it for €1750

If it wasnt so far away I'd go myself.
    That lamp on the left is deffo replaced or refurbed tho.

I had sent the seller a message on phone and done deal at 10.30. The advert has now changed to CAR ON HOLD.

It seems like I may have missed out :(

Edit: seller had deposit so car gone. I’ll keep a look out for another similar one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

Any advice please?
    stick with the jap stuff....Toyota , Nissan ect. the are generally reliable and don't cost a fortune for parts.

I had sent the seller a message on phone and done deal at 10.30. The advert has now changed to CAR ON HOLD.

It seems like I may have missed out :(

Booooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

oceanman wrote: »

Any advice please?
    stick with the jap stuff....Toyota , Nissan ect. the are generally reliable and don't cost a fortune for parts.

Nissans arent always great either - the Almera of this era were poor enough, ditto Micra and Primeras.

On the Focus - I'd look towards a 1.6 petrol rather then a diesel.

The better the history of the car and the cheaper it becomes the less important the make becomes.

A nice Corolla should be safe enough.

I wouldnt completely rule out the Mechanics "friends" car either.

Unless the mechanic is a complete moron - it's not really in his interest to direct you to a completely crap car.

It might be that he is directing you to this other car because he genuinely thinks that the particular car in question is a good car that's been well minded.

Especially if he's actually done the servicing on it for his friend and thus knows it's all good.

The 1.6 diesel poor rep isnt exactly undeserved either. Granted part of the issue is that so many cars from MINIs to Volvo S40s used it - so LOTS of reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'04 Peugeot 307cc Cabrio
    Heap of Test - June '20
    Heap of work done incl. T/B

Eddy has a few other yokes for sale, so bear that in mind.
    Very limited market for this car I'd imagine.
    Might be of interest to someone.

Asking €1,199

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-peugeot-307cc-cabrio-nct-06-20/21701139?campaign=3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement