Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

The 307's are like buses today

'07 307 HDi estate
    NCT Sept '19
    109k miles
    Looks very tidy for a 12 year old diesel estate
    I'd be enquiring about having it tested. Should be ok to test early by the end of this month?

Asking €995

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-peugeot-307-hdi-estate-5-seater-low-mileage/22051185

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

At my wits end. How do those of you buying 'bangers' and who aren't good with engines and specs make sure you don't buy hapes of shite. I test drove a 06 Focus 1.6 diesel and it seemed to drive well, NCT'd till September. I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a bag of trouble come the NCT so asked my mechanic to have a look at it. He was all gung-ho and then told me that that the 1.6 diesels give lots of trouble as they go up in the years and that he knows someone with a 07 1.8 diesel which would be much better as the engines are more reliable and then dug his heels in on going to check out the 06 because he's trying to flog me an older car with much higher tax.

Everybody has a different idea about the various cars I've looked at. Focuses are grand, n'er a bit of trouble. Focuses are crap, always in the garage. And the same goes for every make I've looked at. I'm on the verge of buying the next car I look at if it starts up first time but I can't because I don't have the money to make mistakes.

Any advice please?
    I've replied for years on carsurvey.org and on honest John.co.uk.

Cars are machines. Read good material like the above and that's half the battle.
    Secondly, and as important, read the person you're buying from. Their ad, previous ads their Facebook, their demeanour etc etc.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    At my wits end. How do those of you buying 'bangers' and who aren't good with engines and specs make sure you don't buy hapes of shite. I test drove a 06 Focus 1.6 diesel and it seemed to drive well, NCT'd till September. I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a bag of trouble come the NCT so asked my mechanic to have a look at it. He was all gung-ho and then told me that that the 1.6 diesels give lots of trouble as they go up in the years and that he knows someone with a 07 1.8 diesel which would be much better as the engines are more reliable and then dug his heels in on going to check out the 06 because he's trying to flog me an older car with much higher tax.

Everybody has a different idea about the various cars I've looked at. Focuses are grand, n'er a bit of trouble. Focuses are crap, always in the garage. And the same goes for every make I've looked at. I'm on the verge of buying the next car I look at if it starts up first time but I can't because I don't have the money to make mistakes.

Any advice please?
    I've replied for years on carsurvey.org and on honest John.co.uk.

Cars are machines. Read good material like the above and that's half the battle.
    Secondly, and as important, read the person you're buying from. Their ad, previous ads their Facebook, their demeanour etc etc.
    Relied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Relied

You can edit posts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I would inspect the left front side for any evidence of an accident as it appears to have a newer headlamp, also is this too new for the oil pump hex bar issue, or was that also updated to gear driven??

Apart from that, I would.
    I know an 07 A6 that had that very issue - so no, not updated to gear driven at that point.
    (same engine)

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Relied

You can edit posts :pac:
    Not on the Android app I can't. It's very buggy.

Thanks though Mod.

Oh wait, you're not a Mod 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I had sent the seller a message on phone and done deal at 10.30. The advert has now changed to CAR ON HOLD.

It seems like I may have missed out :(

Edit: seller had deposit so car gone. I’ll keep a look out for another similar one

No offense intended, but if you are genuinely interested in something, call the person. Messages have their place. IMO, they indicate a half-arsed interest only.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

dodzy wrote: »
    No offense intended, but if you are genuinely interested in something, call the person. Messages have their place. IMO, they indicate a half-arsed interest only.

Not really, sometimes no choice. For example in my case, I'm Deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22073161

High spec, high mileage Passat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Mine field of an engine and that seat belt warning issue is a pain in the hole.
    Car keeps thinking you've no belt on so you have to change the mechanism that clips the seat belt in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

That steering wheel looks awful, is it original or after market?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

high horse wrote: »
    That steering wheel looks awful, is it original or after market?

It’s original!
    And yeah it’s not to everyone’s taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-honda-civic-nct-till-1-20/22046358

OTQzMTk4MTZiOWU5MzA0MDkzYWVhOGQyYjdiNWE0ZDmXIusorRO2OKPzTX6jEW6UaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjU3OTgwODl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tidy, 1 owner, cheap tax, history, €1850

NCT till 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

OTQzMTk4MTZiOWU5MzA0MDkzYWVhOGQyYjdiNWE0ZDmXIusorRO2OKPzTX6jEW6UaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjU3OTgwODl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till 2020

Pity there's no seats in it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

NATLOR wrote: »

Looks like a great car but at that price it would want 12 months tax.

If it had, I'd consider buying it in the morning.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Pity there's no seats in it.:confused:

?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

NCT till 2020
    Tax isn't cheap but still cheaper than the old system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    ?

No interior pics I presume, well bar a bit of the front seat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think the ad should also lose points for shortening the word good to gd.

Nice car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

NCT till 2020
    Tax isn't cheap but still cheaper than the old system
    Could be wrong, but has it missed a service or two from the pictures? Nothing from end of 2014 to end of 2017.

Having had my heart broke by a BMW E90 over the last year, I've decided to go the bangernomics route instead. Seems like a decent buy, but I don't want to be burned as badly as I was the the last time.

Anything to look out for with a civic 2007 - 2009? Petrol or diesel?

Maybe it has, but to be fair its an 11 year old car so I wouldn't pay much attention to a missed stamp from a few years ago. When I see "full service history" in any ad, not least one for a sub €2k car, I tend to take it with a pinch of salt. Of course its nice to have but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I have one of those Civics at the minute, a 1.3 hybrid, and its great. Nice enough to drive and very well put together. To be honest you can't really go too far wrong with them, especially the 1.8 as above. A poster on here Colm_mcm has one and he speaks very highly of it

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

They are actually not a bad car, but I would only really consider it if it was well under a grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

stedeb wrote: »

Y2-Fm-ZTU3-Yj-Vm-Mj-Y2-NDkz-ZGM5-YTIy-Ym-I3-OGVh-M2-Qw-OTgo-OJBrq-AGhiuusl-Uuqf-Vy-H.jpg

Y2-Rj-Zm-Qx-MDU4-Zm-Vm-ZGZk-OTUw-ZDIz-ZDhm-NTVk-Mj-M1-MTAoxk-ERuol-Y8xu-Gs-BWjr-Lr-K.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-vectra-c-2-0-turbo/21944060?campaign=2

Get this one. Test till December More power, more spec, newer reg, nicer colour and probably wouldn't cost a whole lot more to run.
    Asking €1795

The one you've linked looks pretty well minded all the same. As Duke said if you can haggle a reasonable chunk off the asking price it'd be an alright buy.

€33k for a Vectra :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I had one of those while my beemer was in the garage, again;)

Was a 2008 petrol. Seemed a good car & very comfortable. Decent for long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

Sorry lads think i posted in wrong thread.
    Its my car. Opinions on price etc realistic how can i sell for close to price requested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sorry lads think i posted in wrong thread.
    Its my car. Opinions on price etc realistic how can i sell for close to price requested?

Stick a bit of tax on it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement