Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Interior looks very rough for 90k miles....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Interior looks very rough for 90k miles....

Most older folk that bought these wouldn't be ones for keeping their motor clean or in good body repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Anyway I could check if it was a taxi ? I could do a motor history check but its 35 euro, Is there any other alternative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

dodzy wrote: »
    No offense intended, but if you are genuinely interested in something, call the person. Messages have their place. IMO, they indicate a half-arsed interest only.

Yeah I did ring him as well but no answer thats why I messaged , but you are correct about messages they do give out the signal of half arese interest

After doing a cartell report, the tax band was never changed and the same owner for the last 14 years.
    Doesn't look like it was a taxi anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The steering wheel looks a bit worn for 90k miles though doesn’t it? And that Bluetooth kit thing to the right of the wheel is a bit taxi-ish..

This is what I was getting at TBH, but deleted my comment on the state of the wheel.

Its a fairly battered car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Most older folk that bought these wouldn't be ones for keeping their motor clean or in good body repair.

Hmmmm......I'm Wondering

Generally older folk dont do Bluetooth kits

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To be fair, I think there's almost too much suspicion around the car from here.

Is the bodywork/ interior in good condition? Honestly, no, not really.

The reality is though, the car appears honest.

It has all the hallmarks of a car that some auld fossil has been rocking around south county Dublin in for the last decade; Avensis, 1.6 petrol, more hits than Justin Bieber, grubby interior, spurious hub caps, glue ring on the dashboard where the plastic Jesus used to be stuck and a clutch replacement with a relatively low mileage. The mid 00's was the prime time for retrofit Parrot kits into new cars. A 70 something was 55 then and wanted their 3510i to pair to their new Eventless.

If you can live with the dodgy bodywork in the acceptance that it's a <€750 car, it's a reliable Toyota model, had recent replacement clutch, battery, some brake repairs (hopefully the rigid rear hoses), low mileage, new NCT, 3 original keys and the same owner for the last 14 years. It even still has the original dealer plate surrounds fitted.

Take it as it is and it's probably a good go-er of a car, if a little ugly.

It has all the hallmarks of a car that some auld fossil has been rocking around south county Dublin in for the last decade; Avensis, 1.6 petrol, more hits than Justin Bieber, grubby interior, spurious hub caps, glue ring on the dashboard where the plastic Jesus used to be stuck and a clutch replacement with a relatively low mileage. The mid 00's was the prime time for retrofit Parrot kits into new cars. A 70 something was 55 then and wanted their 3510i to pair to their new Eventless.

If you can live with the dodgy bodywork in the acceptance that it's a <€750 car, it's a reliable Toyota model, had recent replacement clutch, battery, some brake repairs (hopefully the rigid rear hoses), low mileage, new NCT, 3 original keys and the same owner for the last 14 years. It even still has the original dealer plate surrounds fitted.

That's all i'm looking for. She's taken a few bangs but its character at the end of the day. Gonna do a job on those seats. This isn't a car for life just something to last 12 months. Hope I didn't drag the thread off topic too much.

Here's a decent looking machine, high mileage though 300,000km i believe from speaking to the guy yesterday.
    He accepted my offer of 800 but then went silent on me.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-new-nct/22073633

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You'd be much better off in the 'Yota, than that yoke IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

The avensis might be prone to using a bit of oil at this stage. Those 3zzfe's had an issue with their piston rings at least the earlier versions did.

The avensis might be prone to using a bit of oil at this stage. Those 3zzfe's had an issue with their piston rings at least the earlier versions did.

Will look out for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gearboxes can give bearing trouble on them also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

That post is comedy gold, and I mean that as a compliment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

wiz569 wrote: »
    No interior pics I presume, well bar a bit of the front seat :)

Blacked out.. For security /data protection reasons...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Got the yota for a cool 600 blips.
    The guy I got it off was late 40’s from a lovely neighbourhood and seemed a genuine dude!
    Checked the nct certs and mileage is genuine. Gearbox feels sturdy. Seats looked worse in the pics. Drives really well. Pretty happy !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Got the yota for a cool 600 blips.
    The guy I got it off was late 40’s from a lovely neighbourhood and seemed a genuine dude!
    Checked the nct certs and mileage is genuine. Gearbox feels sturdy. Seats looked worse in the pics. Drives really well. Pretty happy !

At that kind of money, you can't go wrong really. Certainly ticks all the bangernomics boxes. Best of luck with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Another Toyota with NCT... had a 3 door one of these in the same colour a few years back in GS spec. Most reliable bus I’ve ever had

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22008516

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Love an auld Toyota but I still stands by what I believe and that's that so many passed NCT as the auld ones never went over 50 and stop going over ramps ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Love an auld Toyota but I still stands by what I believe and that's that so many passed NCT as the auld ones never went over 50 and stop going over ramps ;-)

Those 4E-FE engines go forever. Shame that many of the cars that have ‘em are uninsurable at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Summer motoring MR2 Roadster.

Y2FlMTM3NGE5ZjQwMDZlMzBiOWY3NTgzNzNjZmVkZDVY7omAtu80XAqrJrGg2XXaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjYxNTA2MzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Might qualifies for classic insurance if you find the right broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ARGINITE wrote: »

Y2FlMTM3NGE5ZjQwMDZlMzBiOWY3NTgzNzNjZmVkZDVY7omAtu80XAqrJrGg2XXaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjYxNTA2MzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

lawred2 wrote: »
    I want

I'm strangely drawn to it too!
    No NCT though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I'm strangely drawn to it too!
    No NCT though
    but should fly it.

:rolleyes: Why don't they 'fly it' so and add the extra 50 quid to the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is nice! I never really liked that gen MR2 in the past but lately the shape has grown on me a lot. I think that one might be tiptronic, which might be a bit of a setback - but for the money you can't complain. Good examples are climbing in price lately too.

I probably tell this story too often - but around 04/05 my father and I went to view an Opel Speedster in a garage in Dublin. Loved it, it was the coolest thing ever etc but at the very last minute he spied one of these and bought that (and a Golf cabriolet) instead from the same garage. Talk about a missed investment opportunity..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Those 4E-FE engines go forever. Shame that many of the cars that have ‘em are uninsurable at this point

You could write ballads to the 4E-FE at this stage.

You'd have to find summer first 😀

dmc17 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Why don't they 'fly it' so and add the extra 50 quid to the asking price

The ridiculous thing is it would add a fair bit more, or at least not having it certainly deducts a lot more than 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

+1,000,000

A 90 second phone call will generally ease a lot of concerns over the honesty of a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

After owning one for a couple of years I wouldn't rate them that high overall. They are far from the best built Toyota ever and lots of rattling in the cabin with roads anything less than perfectly smooth but I'd let that go given that is not what the car is about. Very impractical but again I'd let that go given that is not what the car is about. The 140bhp version is at best described as reasonably peppy and I have drove mundane every day saloon cars that would easily keep pace with it. For all the ranting and raving about it being a perfectly balanced chassis the handling is nothing fantastic, in fact its dangerous if you push the car on.

Also check and double check insurance first before buying one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement