Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris/22096269
    This might be a little gem to keep someone motoring for the next while.
    2001 Yaris 1.0 litre 5 dr.
    197k km
    NCT 03/20
    Asking €400

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

https: //touch.adverts.ie/car/volvo/s40/volvo-s40-2008/18148348

Any thoughts on this. I know there is no nct or tax but only looking for a second run around which will do very little mileage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Daithi101 wrote: »
    https://touch.adverts.ie/car/volvo/s40/volvo-s40-2008/18148348

Any thoughts on this. I know there is no nct or tax but only looking for a second run around which will do very little mileage

Fixed your link.

terrydel wrote:
    Fixed your link.

Thanks for that - had to put the space in to allow it to be posted. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

https: //touch.adverts.ie/car/volvo/s40/volvo-s40-2008/18148348

How much would you be willing to spend to get it through the NCT.

Car is €550, tax €630, that's €1180 before any repairs that might be needed.

It might be a lemon or it could sail through. I don't know why the garage don't put it through for the sake of €55.

• Advertisement

The Mulk wrote:
    How much would you be willing to spend to get it through the NCT.

My thinking was to put it through the nct and see what that threw up then make decision.

Could be a costly one but would expect to notice any major issues and I've a mate who is a mechanic will come look it over with me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

My thinking was to put it through the nct and see what that threw up then make decision.

Could be a costly one but would expect to notice any major issues and I've a mate who is a mechanic will come look it over with me

My thinking is that BGM would throw an nct on it and charge €1k/€1300 for it .
    They know something you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Do you need tax on it to NCT it?

I'm just curious as i know someone has a Rover 45, serviced and repairs done but tax is out a while, he reckons he needs to tax it to put it through the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That dealer has been around along time and is no fool. I'm sure if it was just a matter of sticking it through the NCT they would have done so and would be asking a lot more for it. I'd err on the side of caution, it's really chancery territory where you really need to know your beans whether it's a smart buy or an expensive driveway ornament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

bazz26 wrote: »
    That dealer has been around along time and is no fool. I'm sure if it was just a matter of sticking it through the NCT they would have done so and would be asking a lot more for it. I'd err on the side of caution, it's really chancery territory where you really need to know your beans whether it's a smart buy or an expensive driveway ornament.

This. There's no need to buy a car without an NCT, unnecessary risk when there are plenty out there. Why wouldn't somebody pay €50 for an NCT if it adds hundreds to the value of the car? You don't need to answer that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

My thinking is that BGM would throw an nct on it and charge €1k/€1300 for it .
    They know something you dont.

Brake Control module - same in s60's.
    Dead giveaway is cruse control not working. This is a light on the dash and is a €900 part.
    light cannot be switched off without replacing the module.
    They know exactly what is wrong.

bazz26 wrote:

Yea that makes sense alright. Might give them a call and see what they say.

Just happen to like that model and thought it was a good option

Thanks for all the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

cadaliac wrote: »
    Dead giveaway is cruse control not working. This is a light on the dash and is a €900 part.

Feck me you are on the ball !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Well done, fair play to ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If you like the model you can find one for reasonable money with nct.

They are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'd agree, I had one in very same colour for a very short time, gave the very same problem, got rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yea that makes sense alright. Might give them a call and see what they say.

Just happen to like that model and thought it was a good option

Thanks for all the responses.

Dude, can I just say any advice you get on here is only ever gonna be tip top.

Cadaliac's keen eye above demonstrates that.

Avoid this machine at all costs.

Spend enough time on this thread and you soon learn what sort of expertise is about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar/21867484

YWYzYzM4ZTVmYzNhYWE5N2UzY2I5ZGE5MzdhNWU1N2QIFUsGqXPTgdrpL5vABj7naHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ1NDMxMzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

04 S type NCT'd till 2020, €775

Touch up pen on the bumper, be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Zjk4ZjhiMDRjYWRiZmQ1ZjU3ZDNkZmE0NTBkNjIyZmGaZAadGYePKUoJxxikl_5faHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjYzMDc5NTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A4 Avant 1.6 petrol
    NCT until March next year
    Parrot bluetooth kit and a cold box too!
    How far wrong could you go for 500 blips? :eek::eek:

A year newer
    2.5 instead of 3 litre (little bit easier on the pocket for tax!)
    Just over 80,000 miles, about 6 weeks tax remaining and also NCT'd until 2020
    Seriously tempting!!!

MGYxMmNmMWUwZWI1NTFmZDE3N2Q5MGIxNzI4NmViYzeQ0Hgu43P2zMkxZMtM86QSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjYwNDE2NDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Excellent find (that Audi)

Excellent find (that Audi)
    Doubt that one will sit around too long at that money! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    A year newer
    2.5 instead of 3 litre (little bit easier on the pocket for tax!)
    Just over 80,000 miles, about 6 weeks tax remaining and also NCT'd until 2020
    Seriously tempting!!!

MGYxMmNmMWUwZWI1NTFmZDE3N2Q5MGIxNzI4NmViYzeQ0Hgu43P2zMkxZMtM86QSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjYwNDE2NDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

They’re a great bit of cheap flash. I still miss mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They’re a great bit of cheap flash. I still miss mine.

Arthur Daley style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I know I'm going back here but from experience of friends of mine, if bill Griffin is selling a car sold as soon , no NCT etc. Then there is something wrong with it and he's not willing to fix it

Like that C6 he was selling a while back it had an issue with the gearbox !

But if he's selling with warranty and NCT he should be fine

Thanks for all the advice lads. I'm not in desperate need of a car it was just something that struck me as nice. Anyhow I gave them a ring after lunch and it was sold.

But will defo keep an eye here as there seems to be some great finds popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Thanks for all the advice lads. I'm not in desperate need of a car it was just something that struck me as nice. Anyhow I gave them a ring after lunch and it was sold.

But will defo keep an eye here as there seems to be some great finds popping up.

Be careful though. This thread gets addictive and then you find yourself traipsing down to South Wexford on a wet Tuesday night to pick up a 1990 Carina.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

YWYzYzM4ZTVmYzNhYWE5N2UzY2I5ZGE5MzdhNWU1N2QIFUsGqXPTgdrpL5vABj7naHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ1NDMxMzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Wouldn't worry too much about the bumper, probably just worn from the knees of the people pushing it to the petrol station.

Some WOW factor in the 4th picture, mighty car in fairness.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Should be relatively light on the pocket and looks clean. Ideally a bit light on NCT though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-honda-civic/22120713
    2007 Civic 1/3 litre 6 speed,
    149K miles;
    NCT 09/19;
    Asking €1,450.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Zjk4ZjhiMDRjYWRiZmQ1ZjU3ZDNkZmE0NTBkNjIyZmGaZAadGYePKUoJxxikl_5faHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjYzMDc5NTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A4 Avant 1.6 petrol
    NCT until March next year
    Parrot bluetooth kit and a cold box too!
    How far wrong could you go for 500 blips? :eek::eek:

Good luck ......to who will be this cars 11th owner :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement