Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm always a bit weary when I see those sort of ads where they have complete guarantee the car will pass.
    Makes me think they just have someone ready to give it the stamp without actually doing anything.

I avoid those completely, also those that say "wants for nothing" or "miser on diesel"... Gives the impression of people who don't look after their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If you can get insured......

And only have 1800 euro to spend then there is a case for buying a minter example of a 99 car like that A6 rather then a more modern but not as good condition car.

They are still a nicer car then say a 2006 Corolla.

The problem with the NCT looks to me that Robert has picked this up as a fresh UK import.

As a trader he would only be getting a reg on the car when someone buys it.

You could always buy it (if all checks out) on condition that it will come with new NCT on pick up.

Which Robert already implies he will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's 20 years old, you would easily get classic insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Old diesel wrote: »
    If you can get insured......

And only have 1800 euro to spend then there is a case for buying a minter example of a 99 car like that A6 rather then a more modern but not as good condition car.

They are still a nicer car then say a 2006 Corolla.

A bus ticket is nearly nicer than a 2006 Corolla

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm always a bit weary when I see those sort of ads where they have complete guarantee the car will pass.
    Makes me think they just have someone ready to give it the stamp without actually doing anything.

Robert is saying he will supply with new NCT......

Somewhat different to

"NCT September 2019 but we will guarantee it passes".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-2008/22269731

2008 Mondeo estate,looks tidy. Will come with a new nct apparently. Low miles.
    Whats that 1.8 diesel like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The only real worry with them is the wet/dry belt set up (see here: http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?11230-Ford-mechanics-or-someone-who-understands-Fords-wet-belt-system) and other than that they are a robust enough unit (IMO and from experience)

We've a 08 1.8 hatchback sitting here with 300k miles on it and it still drives nice enough. I loaned it to my brother last year to run around in for a while and he drove the ****e out of it and it never stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I avoid those completely, also those that say "wants for nothing" or "miser on diesel"... Gives the impression of people who don't look after their cars.

:)

That, and "No timewasters". A lot of lads define "time wasters" as fellas who come to look at the car, spot that its either complete scrap or not as advertised and walk away.

Anyway heres a bit of bangernomics good news; the 07 Civic hybrid I bought for a grand in April just got a years ticket

48138603987_9d538215b2_z.jpg

Needed discs and pads all round (€116 off Micksgarage last week) and I put two tyres on it in April for €160 and thats been the total spend so far. I'd be reluctant to spend much more on it from here on in but I've no plans to get rid of it yet anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Anyway heres a bit of bangernomics good news; the 07 Civic hybrid I bought for a grand in April just got a years ticket

Needed discs and pads all round (€116 off Micksgarage last week) and I put two tyres on it in April for €160 and thats been the total spend so far. I'd be reluctant to spend much more on it from here on in but I've no plans to get rid of it yet anyway

And a tenner for a wash :)

• Advertisement

It can look forward to another one at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Now that you have it a while what's the real world fuel consumption like?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Now that you have it a while what's the real world fuel consumption like?

The OBC says its averaging 9.2l/100km or 31 MPG in old money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Jesus that's high! I assume it's all driving in traffic though.
    You need to get out beyond the Pale for a spin! :D

Yeah, practically all of my driving is in Dublin City traffic. Its not really a car I would fancy taking to Cork or somewhere far to be honest. I've said it before but its not very comfortable and it is very slow, I always get the feeling that it would be a bit stressed sitting on a motorway day in day out. Still and all I was kind of expecting more economy out of it but my expectations must be wildly out of touch or theres just something wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Yeah, to be honest, I'm shocked, even if it is all town driving.
    I'd have expected a lot better from a hybrid car, although a quick look on Fuelly and HonestJohn Real MPG seems to show that even though its quoted as 61mpg, most people are achieving about 45ish and I'm assuming thats with a mix of town and long runs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The OBC says its averaging 9.2l/100km or 31 MPG in old money

Scaldy enough, would it be accurate in relation to actual fuel consumed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

terrydel wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-2008/22269731

2008 Mondeo estate,looks tidy. Will come with a new nct apparently. Low miles.
    Whats that 1.8 diesel like?

Car will go up a couple of hundred euro once its NCT'd ;).

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Scaldy enough, would it be accurate in relation to actual fuel consumed?

Yeah, it has a slightly smaller tank than my previous 1.3 Corolla and I'm still filling it at about the same intervals. There is a minuscule difference at best between the two cars.

On what Mike was saying above I read months ago that they don't really perform very well with prolonged city use because it doesn't really allow for the battery to sufficiently recharge (or something like that).

In conclusion, buy a Prius!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1993-toyota-starlet-new-nct-till-2020/22270727

N2RmZGEyYzZmMjNkY2MzMzZlMDQyMGM1Y2IwMjcyODAG-ob4a2LXWK8ElCxlJKsXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjczNjMyOTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Years test on this little dinger, €750.

Paging BonnieSituation!

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1993-toyota-starlet-new-nct-till-2020/22270727

N2RmZGEyYzZmMjNkY2MzMzZlMDQyMGM1Y2IwMjcyODAG-ob4a2LXWK8ElCxlJKsXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjczNjMyOTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Years test on this little dinger, €750.

Paging BonnieSituation!

Im actually a tad suprised that this isnt a "this is my latest purchase post" :D

Youd think at 5 owners at least ONE of them would have have put enough mileage on the car to take it to significantly higher then 126,000 miles. Odd one*

*i AM NOT saying the mileage or the amount of owners is wrong - i just thought it a bit weird tbh that a car with 5 owners would also have such a low mileage.

Im actually a tad suprised that this isnt a "this is my latest purchase post" :D

Don't be giving me ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Youd think at 5 owners at least ONE of them would have have put enough mileage on the car to take it to significantly higher then 126,000 miles. Odd one*

*i AM NOT saying the mileage or the amount of owners is wrong - i just thought it a bit weird tbh that a car with 5 owners would also have such a low mileage.

Very likely the nuns using the changing ownership among themselves trick to avoid paying the back tax I reckon.

It seems to have been a demo in its early life

Second owner had it 17 years

Third owner had it 3 years

Fourth owner had it 13 months

Fifth owner had it 4 years

Sixth owner has it 30 days

All seems pretty above board really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Very likely the nuns using the changing ownership among themselves trick to avoid paying the back tax I reckon.

That's the best conspiracy theory ever in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

A company registered basic spec car on a WX, chances are it was a rental.

Not that that has done it any harm at all.

A company registered basic spec car on a WX, chances are it was a rental.

Not that that has done it any harm at all.

Whoever registered it anyway only had it for three months

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Second owner had it 17 years

Third owner had it 3 years

Fourth owner had it 13 months

Fifth owner had it 4 years

Sixth owner has it 30 days

Where do you find out that sort of information? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100