Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Vehicle does not need to be taxed for trips to the test centre or to the mechanic for fixes from a test fail

Handy to know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The car is taxed according to the ad anyway, so pretty pointless debate :)

Actually it isn't. My bad. But it is 200 a year so hardly a deal breaker anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Vehicle does not need to be taxed for trips to the test centre or to the mechanic for fixes from a test fail

Oh dear......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't think that that is remotely true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't think that that is remotely true

Thought the same myself.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The car must be signed off the road for it to be legally allowed to drive to the NCT.

There is no other time it can be used apart from home from test also and it must be a booked test

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭CiboC

Not sure why there is so much confusion over this.

If the car is declared off road you can drive it legally without tax to the test centre for the NCT or to a garage for repairs on foot of an NCT failure.

Q15. What if I'm due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
    A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases:

to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
    to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
    The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.
    If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.

(Source - https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/faq)

There seems to be a typo here and the line 'to bring it for repair after a re-test' should probably read 'to bring it for repair before a re-test'

What is not covered above (and what I have done on more than 1 occasion) is driving to a garage without tax for work in preparation for the initial test (not for repairs for a re-test).

This is for a summer use only car that unfortunately has it's NCT in November (yes, I know I can re-set it!). It's only been driven with an NCT appointment already made and a printout of same with me. I've never had an issue with this and you would want to be unlucky enough to meet a guard having a really bad day for them to get sticky over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The high horse brigade on here will certainly insist it needs to be taxed to take it in for NCT though.

And not driven there either ,need a car transporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

CiboC wrote: »
    Not sure why there is so much confusion over this.

If the car is declared off road you can drive it legally without tax to the test centre for the NCT or to a garage for repairs on foot of an NCT failure.

Q15. What if I'm due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
    A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases:

to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
    to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
    The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.
    If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.

(Source - https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/faq)

There seems to be a typo here and the line 'to bring it for repair after a re-test' should probably read 'to bring it for repair before a re-test'

What is not covered above (and what I have done on more than 1 occasion) is driving to a garage without tax for work in preparation for the initial test (not for repairs for a re-test).

This is for a summer use only car that unfortunately has it's NCT in November (yes, I know I can re-set it!). It's only been driven with an NCT appointment already made and a printout of same with me. I've never had an issue with this and you would want to be unlucky enough to meet a guard having a really bad day for them to get sticky over it.

interesting - good to know

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

dodzy wrote: »

Oh dear......

As always, the devil is in the detail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Sold

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The high horse brigade on here will certainly insist it needs to be taxed to take it in for NCT though.

The high horse brigade makes good points on how to avoid getting in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭pah

It doesn't need to be taxed in order to get an NCT. If it's out then you risk getting a fine. If it's out more than 2 months you risk having the car seized and getting a fine plus vehicle release fees.

The height of a horse isn't very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

grogi wrote: »
    The high horse brigade makes good points on how to avoid getting in trouble.
    Yeah but away too often the high horse brigade spouted their own made uppy law in their own minds about this one on this forum. One thing helping others avoid getting into trouble but one should refrain from commenting if they are not aware of the law yet think/ assume they are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Have an 02 Octavia off the road that I’ve given up on.
    Need to get back on the road ASAP, off work at the moment and can’t afford another moneypit:)

On the look out for 1.4 petrol or smaller
    Budget 1k
    NCT and taxed if possible

Have been looking on the usual sites but not a mechanic so don’t know what duds to avoid.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Does this car really have a turbo?

I asked on the ad but hes unsure

http://www.adverts.ie/18212788

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's an n/a and if the actually owner of the car doesn't know if it has a turbo then I wouldn't be buying it

bear1 wrote: »
    It's an n/a and if the actually owner of the car doesn't know if it has a turbo then I wouldn't be buying it

Loads of people drive cars, jeeps with a turbo and are unaware of it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There's a big difference in being unaware of the fact and making a point of the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

He writes in the ad that it's a 1.6 turbo and then says he doesn't know if it's a turbo.. bit of a contradiction wouldn't you say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't know a car has a turbo then you wouldn't tend to mention it in an advert. To emphasize it in an advert when in fact the car doesn't have one just makes the seller out to be silly. Then saying he doesn't actually know is even dafter.

The only models of that Mazda 3 that had a turbo was the diesel version and petrol MPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

He writes in the ad that it's a 1.6 turbo and then says he doesn't know if it's a turbo.. bit of a contradiction wouldn't you say?

Can we all at least agree that the car does, indeed, have a windscreen? :p

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There's a big difference in being unaware of the fact and making a point of the fact.

I'm well aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm well aware of that.

Then clearly you missed the point or bear1 comment :rolleyes:

He also writes that he knows little about cars and that the car registration book says it's a Mazda 3 Automatic Turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

It’s a 1.6 Sport

I’d guess the owner - probably not a native English speaker - has just made a blunder

minikin wrote: »
    Have an 02 Octavia off the road that I’ve given up on.
    Need to get back on the road ASAP, off work at the moment and can’t afford another moneypit:)

On the look out for 1.4 petrol or smaller
    Budget 1k
    NCT and taxed if possible

Have been looking on the usual sites but not a mechanic so don’t know what duds to avoid.

Cheers.

Where are you based?

I just had a look on Donedeal for something fitting your criteria, and there is an awful lot of junk out there at the minute.

If you're not too concerned with cosmetics this could be a nice buy:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2004ncttax/22331500

ODRhZmU0YWEzNWViMDdlOWYzY2UwNjY5MmYxMWY2OWItvQDXKtklxhj_l74qphKkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjc4MDMzNTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Low(ish) miles, NCT till April 2020, tax till end of August, €750

Or this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-suzuki-liana-1-3l-tax-amp-nct/22320076

YjYyMDFlOWFkOTI0YTVlZDdlMTEwM2NhMzkyMWE0Y2MF7jAF04AWDCExVrSHfgW-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjc3MTg5NDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till March 2020, and taxed till the end of this month, but its only €450 so you should be able to throw 3 or 6 months tax on it and still come in under budget.

Neither car will set the world alight but they are dependable and reliable options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Where are you based?

I just had a look on Donedeal for something fitting your criteria, and there is an awful lot of junk out there at the minute.

If you're not too concerned with cosmetics this could be a nice buy:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2004ncttax/22331500

Thanks for the links Duke, looks like a nice find.
    In Dublin - will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lads I'm looking to spend about 2000

Family car saloon if possible 2008 would be great

Was looking at Volvo

Anyone spot anything at the moment

In Kildare but can travel

• Advertisement

Lads I'm looking to spend about 2000

Family car saloon if possible 2008 would be great

Was looking at Volvo

Anyone spot anything at the moment

In Kildare but can travel

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-2008-5-door-hatchback-taxed-01-20200/22298509?campaign=3

Y2JkNTRlZDdlM2Q1ZTQwYmU5NDdhNGZkMmE0NTAzOTbJYAj2k00utN9PSlTq16V0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjc5NTk2MjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Plenty of space in one of these to cope with family car duties. Loads of test and tax, surely obtainable for €2k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement