Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't scroll through every comment before posting, I'll go sit on the naughty step now!

It is now 850 though!

What about a 2.0 d4d Avensis with NCT 09/19 and Tax 04/20 allegedly 695 euro

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-toyota-avensis-d4d/22259421
    Taxi.So the tax isn't worth a shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-2004-multitronic/22378905

999 for a Audi diesel with 11 months NCT

Edit: High mileage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That looks incredibly good inside for 300k!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-2004-multitronic/22378905

999 for a Audi diesel with 11 months NCT

Edit: High mileage :(

With that engine it's still only being broken in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

pippip wrote: »

It's the gearbox I'd worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Leather seats yet windy rear windows, only from the Germans. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

pippip wrote: »
    Anything with 300k miles on it is far from still being broken in irrespective of the engine.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-citroen-c5-1-6-diesel-nctd-6-20-taxed-8-19/22379389
    I wouldn't normally recommend one of these in particular with the 1.6 HDI but this looks well minded and hey if its got to 279k km
    NCT 06/20;
    Tax 08/19;
    Just serviced and 4 new tyres were told;
    Asking €1,650
    Would like to be seen a fully documented FSH though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Is it wrong that I like this?

Thought it was a ford for a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Same, first glance I thought it was some kind of funny jap C-Max crossover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oddly, this predates the Cross Polo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

From your post I had initially asked myself, "what sort of Ford is that?"!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gatling wrote: »
    Thought it was a ford for a minute

Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Yes, you are sick, its an illness, check yourself in somewhere and get treatment :pac:.
    Is a 2007 Getz worth 1500 with near 200k kms on the clock, or even without 200k km on the clock? Does the cross name imply something or is it just a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

1874 wrote: »
    Yes, you are sick, its an illness, check yourself in somewhere and get treatment :pac:.
    Is a 2007 Getz worth 1500 with near 200k kms on the clock, or even without 200k km on the clock? Does the cross name imply something or is it just a name?

I feel for the two owners who amassed 200k on it. !,;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I feel for the two owners who amassed 200k on it. !,;)

Genuinely made me LOL

In terms of bangernomics if you're looking for a car for 1-2 years for around 10-15km driven in that time, should high mileage really be a worry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

In terms of bangernomics if you're looking for a car for 1-2 years for around 10-15km driven in that time, should high mileage really be a worry?

Mileage is just one of the factors that determine the price ( or value) of a car, other than age, engine size and condition. From a bangernonics perspective, it makes newer cars fall into the budget - but at a slightly higher risk level. But if you dont plan on adding too many more miles to it, then its less of an issue.

Personally, high mileage doesnt bother me as long as the car is in good overall condition and everything is working as it should at the moment. Mega milers that spent a few years flying up and the down the motorways can sometimes show less wear and stress than a low-miler that was used exclusively for stop/start, short trips in a city.

You should always buy on "condition and history", and let the mileage/age dictate only the price you pay.

Mileage is just one of the factors that determine the price ( or value) of a car, other than age, engine size and condition. From a bangernonics perspective, it makes newer cars fall into the budget - but at a slightly higher risk level. But if you dont plan on adding too many more miles to it, then its less of an issue.

Personally, high mileage doesnt bother me as long as the car is in good overall condition and everything is working as it should at the moment. Mega milers that spent a few years flying up and the down the motorways can sometimes show less wear and stress than a low-miler that was used exclusively for stop/start, short trips in a city.

You should always buy on "condition and history", and let the mileage/age dictate only the price you pay.

Cheers, some of the cars I'm seeing have highish mileage so I'm not looking into them, but may do so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Hi guys, a little help, if possible. This is a great thread I’ve been following for s few weeks now.

At the moment I’m driving an 02 Audi A3 1.9tdi. It’s a great little car, I’ve been driving it for a couple of years with no trouble. As I said great car, mileage of 160,000 but I know it would be good for another 100k at least. The problem is the insurance is getting ridiculous because of its age. Just been quoted 800 and with the tax for the year of just under 700, it’s not making sense anymore, bangernomically!

So I’m on the market for something for something a bit further up in the years, anything really, diesel or petrol. I’m looking myself all the time on donedeal but any help would be appreciated. I’m in the Limerick/Clare area so preferably around there but I suppose I could travel for the right car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Hi guys, a little help, if possible. This is a great thread I’ve been following for s few weeks now.

At the moment I’m driving an 02 Audi A3 1.9tdi. It’s a great little car, I’ve been driving it for a couple of years with no trouble. As I said great car, mileage of 160,000 but I know it would be good for another 100k at least. The problem is the insurance is getting ridiculous because of its age. Just been quoted 800 and with the tax for the year of just under 700, it’s not making sense anymore, bangernomically!

So I’m on the market for something for something a bit further up in the years, anything really, diesel or petrol. I’m looking myself all the time on donedeal but any help would be appreciated. I’m in the Limerick/Clare area so preferably around there but I suppose I could travel for the right car.

Why not move up 7 years, save over 400 euro on tax a year, save on diesel and halve your insurance premium. With only 30k miles And NCT for another 14 months. All for 1550 euro!!

You'd be literally losing money if you didn't!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-chevrolet-matiz-30k-miles-new-nct-09-2020/22388579

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd rather suck up the higher cost of insurance on the A3 than endure that if it were me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd rather suck up the higher cost of insurance on the A3 than endure that if it were me.
    Well he did say "anything really"

Can't please em all I guess!! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Well he did say "anything really"

Can't please em all I guess!! 🙄

Someone else saw the sense in whatever it was, its gone now. :)

I think a Civic would be a good option. Tax isn't particularly cheap even on the post-08 1.8 models, at €570, but they are a very good car in every respect really and you shouldn't have to worry about coming from a car that has given you years of trouble-free driving, to something that will break your heart.

Something like this for example

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-honda-civic-nct-1-20/22199806

Mjk1Mzg4MWQzZjQwMDRjYWM5MTU4ZWQyOTcxOWIwZDe62AIEGl-TW-AUDJdKD4jfaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgxMDI0NjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Or an Avensis maybe, this looks nice

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-toyota-avensis-1-6-petrol/22388169

YTNmMzJmOTU5NmYxZWYyMmE3ZmIzNGQwNzA1Zjg1OTWTUacGT2eHvlnQDbaM9U4DaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgyMTUwOTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-1-8-manual-4dr-saloon-2007-superb/22374067

ZmU2MzkwZjg2MDJhNWZmMWI0Nzg5MmZlM2IwZmFiMTLBSseCyUQYMH33upHS6B3RaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgxMTM1NzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is a bit expensive but I know this seller and all of his cars tend to be very nice low owner low mileage south Dublin cars

89k miles, NCT till March 2020, tax till September, €1995

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A lot of car for the money. That engine is a Pandora’s box of pain though unless it’s been religiously maintained.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A lot of car for the money. That engine is a Pandora’s box of pain though unless it’s been religiously maintained.

Good to know, I had a Citroen with the 2.0hdi before and it was faultless, I take it the 1.6hdi is a different beast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Good to know, I had a Citroen with the 2.0hdi before and it was faultless, I take it the 1.6hdi is a different beast?

Just a tad .. in any car/van it's in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement