Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

1600 for a 17 year old golf? Nice car but hardly bangernomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

carzony wrote: »
    1600 for a 17 year old golf? Nice car but hardly bangernomics.

Doesn't have to be new to be bangernomics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Doesn't have to be new to be bangernomics

The main point of bangernomics is something cheap. That Golf is overpriced by hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

carzony wrote: »
    The main point of bangernomics is something cheap. That Golf is overpriced by hundreds.

Doesn't really matter, it's still within the parameters, if you think it's overpriced...dont buy it

Bangernomics rules:
    Under €2000
    Valid NCT
    Something you'd actually drive yourself
    VRT paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

That Golf was imported sometime from 2010 onwards, due to the 00-C-40***

How many owners of it during its life (presumably) in the UK?

Plus another 2 here.

I sold a 1.6 petrol Golf in January 2015 for €1000 with 15 months test,6 months tax and a full service history.

Granted it wasn't a daysul, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That red Golf is a bit on the expensive side imo. Yes the outside looks very tidy but you can pick up 02/03 Golf TDis for around that price these days. That car is more a 1k car than a 1.5k imo.

That is a very fresh looking car for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »
    That red Golf is a bit on the expensive side imo. Yes the outside looks very tidy but you can pick up 02/03 Golf TDis for around that price these days. That car is more a 1k car than a 1.5k imo.

€500 for the extra spec is a bargain. You'd spend that in a set of Halfords wheels for a windey windows model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Good spot. Sister has a 07 hatchback. Find it a very pleasant car to drive and pretty economical too for commuting. The one as per your link looks very clean in the photos and mileage is not high. A lot of car for the money.

My addition to bangernomics thread for the day
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-1-9-tdi-new-nct-08-18/15931394
    2004 Passat TDI with oddles of NCT;
    Seller has marked in 160,000 km but clearly there are 163k miles on it.
    Not a highline but not badly equipped.
    Asking €1,300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

That is a very fresh looking car for small money.

Yea id hop on it myself only insurance is on the high side for me on them....dont ask me why :(

That blue 3.0 mondeo is actually cheaper to go on if i bought it believe it or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, my insurance went up when I went from a 240bhp RWD jaguar to a 140bhp Civic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Full disclosure, this is being sold by a family member:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-rio-1-5-crdi-lx-diesel-nct-10-2017/15930702

It's in good nick, new clutch and turbo fitted recently so it should have plenty life left. Small, cheap, simple, diesel = decent Bangernomics.

Only 3 months NCT on that, a fresh NCT would make it more attractive to a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Only 3 months NCT on that, a fresh NCT would make it more attractive to a buyer.

Fair point, I'll suggest this to them. I thought you could only test within 3 months of the due date, but from the NCTS site it looks like it can be done earlier.

A 2003 Golf, better deal that the other one than was here yesterday.

Nct January 2018
    1.9 Diesel.
    €1350
    Mileage is a bit high but that wouldn't bother me too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

jharr100 wrote: »

That's lovely, but €2000 for it?
    I may be in the market for one, loving my 05 1.8 9-3 saloon....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's lovely, but €2000 for it?
    I may be in the market for one, loving my 05 1.8 9-3 saloon....

Yeah . Bit steep alright ..

Fair point, I'll suggest this to them. I thought you could only test within 3 months of the due date, but from the NCTS site it looks like it can be done earlier.

You can do both, if it's tested within 3 months of the due date then you get a cert for 3 months + 1 year (as the car is over 10 years old). If done outside the 3 months before due date then you will get a 12 or 24 month cert (depending on the age of the car) from the date of passing the test. The second option helps if your selling a car as it gives a buyer reassurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

jharr100 wrote: »
    Yeah . Bit steep alright ..

He seems to be all fashion model with the camera too!
    I mean, the Saab is a good looking car, but I wouldn't be taking pictures of it like they were going into a copy of Vogue!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

KC161 wrote: »
    A 2003 Golf, better deal that the other one than was here yesterday.

Nct January 2018
    1.9 Diesel.
    €1350
    Mileage is a bit high but that wouldn't bother me too much.

It is nearly the same price as the other Golf but the test is shorter by 6 months, its got basic paddy spec whereas at least the other one had some nice extras. And it has higher mileage.

weadick wrote: »
    It is nearly the same price as the other Golf but the test is shorter by 6 months, its got basic paddy spec whereas at least the other one had some nice extras. And it has higher mileage.

Yeah, I'd still go for the 2003 though.

The 2000 was imported in 2014 according to its NCT cert.

I wouldn't be bothered about the 6 months less nct giving how similar the prices are.

Basic paddy spec :pac: Never heard that saying before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

KC161 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd still go for the 2003 though.

The 2000 was imported in 2014 according to its NCT cert.

I wouldn't be bothered about the 6 months less nct giving how similar the prices are.

Basic paddy spec :pac: Never heard that saying before :)

Also known as poverty spec.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

At the low end of diesel bangernomics the older non pd tdi engines are a safer more sensible bet for penny pinching motoring. While the 00 golf isnt at all cheap it is clean and it has arguably one of vw's best diesel engines in the 110bhp lump. So that's 2 things in its favour

Insurance is a bit of an issue with these cars though that can be said for any car based on the mk4 platform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

At the low end of diesel bangernomics the older non pd tdi engines are a safer more sensible bet for penny pinching motoring. While the 00 golf isnt at all cheap it is clean and it has arguably one of vw's best diesel engines in the 110bhp lump. So that's 2 things in its favour

Insurance is a bit of an issue with these cars though that can be said for any car based on the mk4 platform

Insurance will be an issue because >15 years old.

cocoman wrote: »

Not to mention it's a GT TDI.

I haven't seen any offers on it so far on facebook.

The seller says it has had a new clutch and DMF plus the timing belt was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

cocoman wrote: »

Insurance will be an issue because it's a tdi vag on the mk4 platform all of them are loaded by insurers because they were the most common diesel car choice for young fellas. As KC pointed out above the fact it's a gt tdi will most certainly impact negatively on insurance too. Naturally the age of the car has a bearing on things also

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-oktavia-laurin-ampklement-fresh-nct/15716394

Laurin and klement Skoda

Any nice diesel bangers around the cork / munster area ?
    Sold my avensis earlier ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement