Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/16011304?campaign=3

OTYzYjgwZWFkMDA2N2EwZjY2ZjQxOWQ2MGUyNmNmOWSHTHglmqqUTL7m2Nz5naS_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NzA2NTA4OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

1.6 GT 150bhp, 1 owner, NCT to 4/18, €1750

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Peugeot 407 estate, €700 with NCT til April'18!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-estate/16013232
    But...

In car description
    "engine not as powerful as it used to be"
    Might be a reason for the cheap price methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Peugeot 407 estate, €700 with NCT til April'18!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-estate/16013232
    But...

In car description
    "engine not as powerful as it used to be"
    Might be a reason for the cheap price methinks.

I presume "engine not as powerful as it used to be" is a nice way of saying "turbo ****ed"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Gravelly wrote: »
    I presume "engine not as powerful as it used to be" is a nice way of saying "turbo ****ed"

Either that or its on its way to be - The 'putputputput' sound of a blown injector seal can probably be heard from around the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/16011304?campaign=3

OTYzYjgwZWFkMDA2N2EwZjY2ZjQxOWQ2MGUyNmNmOWSHTHglmqqUTL7m2Nz5naS_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NzA2NTA4OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

1.6 GT 150bhp, 1 owner, NCT to 4/18, €1750

They're turbo right?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're turbo right?

Yeah, it's the twin-scroll one if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Muckie wrote: »

Would I be right in saying that the disclaimer means nothing? As far as I'm aware, when a dealer sells a car, he is bound by the same consumer laws no matter what he gets you to sign. If a dealer did ask me to sign a disclaimer, I'd be inclined to assume he's selling me a lemon though.
    I've bought 2 cars from dealers where they've marked on receipt "trade sale / as-seen" etc., In neither case did I get a lemon, but I was buying cars in the ca €1000 range. In both cases, the car had a very new NCT, so that satisfied (largely) the "road-worthy"/safe criterion. But what I very much understood from the dealer was that if they had me coming back with a defect on the car, the value of the €1000 would evaporate pretty quickly. Equally, it would cost them too much to give a 10-15 year old car the forensic going-over to eliminate that possibility so they would either sell car that way or move it to breakers.

The first of those 2 cars I moved on after a few months (no problem, just didn't suit to keep). The second I bought for €900 and have now driven for over 30k miles. Had to replace break pads very soon, and then a fuel pump and an ignition pack (both after about 10k - 15k miles).

Legally, however, I don't know that the disclaimer had much effect.

What was quoted earlier from the sale of goods act is (IMHO, IANAL) intended for something different:
    3) Subsection (2) of this section shall not apply where—

(a) it is agreed between the seller and the buyer that the vehicle is not intended for use in the condition in which it is to be delivered to the buyer under the contract, and

(b) a document consisting of a statement to that effect is signed by or on behalf of the seller and the buyer and given to the buyer prior to or at the time of such delivery, and

(c) it is shown that the agreement referred to in paragraph (a) is fair and reasonable.
    This allows things like selling on a fixer-upper or crash-damaged car. The last clause "fair and reasonable" is important. If a dealer sold a car with a broken tail-light/no brake lights, it shouldn't be driven like that. But if that was otherwise a sharp looking motor, and sold at a corresponding price, it wouldn't get the dealer out of trouble if I fixed the car and then had an accident because all the brake system was corroded and leaking.

On the other end, if the dealer sold me a car with heavy crash damage, or one that had been pulled out of a river or something, he could probably reasonably say "not drivable, need of repair, mechanical inspection required" and leave me off with it.

With that in writing, I wouldn't want to drive the car, and would expect insurance to be invalid/ or at least compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I get what you saying acronym Chilli.

I would have had no issue if the car i was looking at was about €1000.

I was checking out a 07 Mini for €3500, didnt fancy it turning into a garden feature.

The dealer couldnt even offer me a 3 month warranty on it, as well as doing the hard sell on signing the disclaimer!.

Needless to say i went to another dealer up the road, got a similar car with a 3 month warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

beauf wrote: »
    I think you have to consider the total cost of ownership and running costs say for the next 2yrs and 20k. Etc.

what do you mean consider the total cost? you think its going to cost a lot to run in the next 2 years? looks ok, havent been reviewing prices lately but like to keep an eye open.
    Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980
    Section 13 (3).

Hmmm - interesting. So he can get someone to sign a document saying the car is not fit to drive in the condition it is in, and then watch them drive it out the gate! Wonder how insurance cover would work in that case?[/QUOTE]

How is this guy in business? at the least Id be expecting heavily discounted prices.

Not the cheapest one, but has lots of tax, and just seems like a good one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-avensis-1-8-petrol-road-tax-paid-to-may-2018/16005610?campaign=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The check engine light is on in the pics :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You'll be grand, it is just a sensor or something /s

Whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

In fairness, the check engine light was in my Celica for 90% of the time I owned it and even passed the NCT with the light on. Something to do with one of the oxygen sensors being out of spec, never done the car any harm and it ran fine. I wouldn't like to take my chances though, maybe if the Avensis was closer to €1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

In fairness, the check engine light was in my Celica for 90% of the time I owned it and even passed the NCT with the light on. Something to do with one of the oxygen sensors being out of spec, never done the car any harm and it ran fine. I wouldn't like to take my chances though, maybe if the Avensis was closer to €1k.

I think that that has one of the those 1ZZ-FE VVTi engines that you eventually end up stopping at the service station to check the petrol and fill up the oil! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

REXER wrote: »
    I think that that has one of the those 1ZZ-FE VVTi engines that you eventually end up stopping at the service station to check the petrol and fill up the oil! :D

As long as the oil is checked once a week it should be fine. In most cases they dont burn that much oil tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's a 2004, nearly all 1zzfe's had a piston ring re-design since 2003 so its oil burning capabilities shouldn't be anything extraordinary really as long as it was serviced a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

It's a 2004, nearly all 1zzfe's had a piston ring re-design since 2003 so its oil burning capabilities shouldn't be anything extraordinary really as long as it was serviced a couple of times.

A simple GOOGLE search shows that it was more like late 2005, early 2006 before it was corrected and it was more the oil return holes in the pistons than the rings!

An easy test is to warm the engine up and then rev it up to around 3500 rpm for a few minutes and then all the smoke and mirrors will be revealed, lots more smoke than mirrors! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's well known that even earlier ZZ engines if VERY well looked after, especially in terms of early servicing with proper grade of engine oil have no oil burning symptoms. That's extremely rare though.

And yes, mid 2005 and younger engines are free from that, so says Toyota Service Bulletin EG 6020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A simple GOOGLE search shows that it was more like late 2005, early 2006 before it was corrected and it was more the oil return holes in the pistons than the rings!

An easy test is to warm the engine up and then rev it up to around 3500 rpm for a few minutes and then all the smoke and mirrors will be revealed, lots more smoke than mirrors! :eek:

2003 was the first upgrade and made the most difference. Changes were made throughout the zzfe engine range right up until 2006/7 effectively until the end of their production run.

The 1.8 in a mk2 avensis is a world apart reliability wise compared to the mk1 1zzfe as seen in mk1 avensis', and pre 03 mrs' and Celica's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-11-1-6-petrol-matchplay-model/16033384

MzczNGUxNWUxYzY0NWVlYzJmZTU2ZWQzZTliYWFlYzEndGbzsVf8T66_Bhn6-nrTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NzIyMTEzN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Insurance quandary aside, this is a nice buy for €850. You've got NCT to 1/18, tax to 11/17 and nice spec.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-11-1-6-petrol-matchplay-model/16033384

MzczNGUxNWUxYzY0NWVlYzJmZTU2ZWQzZTliYWFlYzEndGbzsVf8T66_Bhn6-nrTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NzIyMTEzN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Insurance quandary aside, this is a nice buy for €850. You've got NCT to 1/18, tax to 11/17 and nice spec.

Had one of these myself back in the day - probably one of the most reliable cars ever made - at 160k miles it's nicely run in!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cars look so much better with the steel plates.
    Hate that plastic ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

For me it's working out at 100ml per 100 miles driven. And I drive the thing very handy once up to speed. Actually, unless overtaking it's driven very handy, mostly mid 40's mpg average per tank so far...

Mil lit up on mine too, must knock it off when I get a chance. Doesn't affect driveability though.

Having worked in a predominately Toyota scrapyard years ago (thankfully a distant memory) I can count on one hand the good engines we sold as opposed to the dozens of ZZ engined cars (may as well throw in 1AD engines too) that came in to be weighed in with engine trouble.

Really knocks any blinkered views and biased opinions when one works in such an environment

Might as well fire up an auld Avensis while I'm at it!

1.6, NCT Oct 18, 248K km's, €1800

YTFjNzlkZDRhODU2YjAwMDI0MTIxMDljMGVlN2E2ZjOae1wJitE2N5bQjDns-5AUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NzI1MzMyMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

It's strange spec really, on one hand you get the sunroof and the electric windows but no colour coded bumpers or the velour seats. Still a very nice car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's strange spec really, on one hand you get the sunroof and the electric windows but no colour coded bumpers or the velour seats. Still a very nice car though.

Lets not get too carried away.... Its a 25 year old base spec Carina... It ain't that nice....:pac:

166man wrote: »
    Lets not get too carried away.... Its a 25 year old base spec Carina... It ain't that nice....:pac:

Yes it is... its lovely! If i wasnt a lazy fecker id try swap my merc for it.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Yes it is... its lovely! If i wasnt a lazy fecker id try swap my merc for it.

I had one - believe me, they aren't that special! Reliable yes, but I wouldn't be giving up a Merc for one - unexciting is about as good as it gets.

I had one - believe me, they aren't that special! Reliable yes, but I wouldn't be giving up a Merc for one - unexciting is about as good as it gets.

No there is something about them, they are just quality and really one of the best cars of their time(mainstream cars im talking about now)

• Advertisement

Meh, I have had one, twas even more basic than the linked one, but I loved it. 190e is much of a muchness by comparison tbh, plus, I love toyotas..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement