Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Nct until Jan 19, tax until November, full Honda service history claimed, could haggle from 2150 to the magic 2k mark perhaps, seems very cheap though?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-honda-civic-ncted-amp-road-tax-mint/16186238

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

rizzodun wrote: »
    Nct until Jan 19, tax until November, full Honda service history claimed, could haggle from 2150 to the magic 2k mark perhaps, seems very cheap though?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-honda-civic-ncted-amp-road-tax-mint/16186238

Suspicious right... I am going to see it today, anyone got any tips to look out for possible issues, taking a big risk since it seems cheap..

1)confirm service history is valid
    2)confirm the man is actual owner of the car with the cops, and with his ID?
    anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

rizzodun wrote: »

Suspicious right... I am going to see it today, anyone got any tips to look out for possible issues, taking a big risk since it seems cheap..

anything else?

I'd do a reg check to make sure it hasn't finance on it, the mileage is genuine, and the nct is legit.

anything else?

Everything Gravelly already said, I have one myself, there was not many known issues with it, recalls for problems with power steering and handbrake, but intermittent so it's hard to test for those.

The radio display can be dodgy too, usually a loose wire on the back that needs a solder so don't let that put you off.

Just give the car a really good going over from top to tail, I'd be tempted myself, just scooped up an 03 Volvo V40 as a second car, if I didn't need something to haul a bike and all the gear I would've looked at this, a lot cheaper than other out there though, so very weary...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd say that car is honest. Dare I say it's a bargain. Makes me sick :pac:

I'd say that car is honest. Dare I say it's a bargain. Makes me sick :pac:

That'll be two of us if you're right!

Wish me luck, theres always problems when cars are undervalued, just hope its not major.

It's the best colour to get one in anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

anything else?

Buys and sells the odd car.
    https://www.google.ie/search?safe=off&rlz=1C1GGRV_enIE751IE751&q=085-2484584&oq=085-2484584&gs_l=psy-ab.3...14049.14049.0.14504.1.1.0.0.0.0.85.85.1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0.2kOy3yul6yA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

1874 wrote: »
    I thought it seems a bit pricey, is that what they're going for? not high mileage for the age, but still up there, dont know what they are like for problems over a certain age/mileage, specs seems ok, probably go forever? is that the timing chain engine? as in same example below? and a shorter NCT,

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-nct-january-2018-very-clean/16012693

I thought this one seems clean, but no mention of an NCT

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents at this. I don't think it's overly pricey for the car. It's 06 with a nice spec. Mileage wise I don't think is an issue either, as my own 2004 E12 sits at 135k miles and I've yet to run into a single issue with the car. As far as I know they are timing chains, but I'm open to correction. These are just my opinions of course and for a few quid more than that Astra I think the user will get their value for money.

Anyway, on with the bangers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

anything else?

Eh I don't think the guards will give you that info. Besides on the logbook you'll notice on the change of ownership section "SELLER / OWNER" signature. Buying from non owner is perfectly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

An Ri rua wrote: »

anything else?

Buys and sells the odd car.
    https://www.google.ie/search?safe=off&rlz=1C1GGRV_enIE751IE751&q=085-2484584&oq=085-2484584&gs_l=psy-ab.3...14049.14049.0.14504.1.1.0.0.0.0.85.85.1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0.2kOy3yul6yA

Rules out him being a wide-eyed innocent who just priced it incorrectly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could've just bought it in the trade. Not worth anything to a main dealer.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Could've just bought it in the trade. Not worth anything to a main dealer.

You mean a trade in car? All I got out of him on the phone was the two front tyre were worn.. Suspension trouble?

Yeah, a trade in to a dealer. Nothing to confirm that it is but it's a possibility. Suspension on them is relatively cheap to work on. Unless the tyres are unevenly worn I wouldn't be overly worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

My sister has a 2007 Civic hatch with the same 1.8 also and think it would be the same trim level. She has it around 2 years at this stage.They are the bit different.

Soon after she got it the catalytic converter gave up. Sometime later the radio started making weird noises and overheating and then packed in. Honda dealer quoted €750 plus vat for a new one excluding labour of fitting. In the end she got one from a guy breaking one up for €200 and after a severe amount of ripping later I got it fitted. About a week later the separate radio display gave up the go and that has being the same since - another poster mentioned it can be a problem with a wire that needs to be soldered at the back.

Other than that there is a leak in the boot but that might be down to a forklift that bulldozed the car in a DIY store carpark and might have went un-notices when being repaired.

She likes the car and with the 6th gear is quite economical on longer journeys in particular, shorter journeys around town not so much so. Nice and nippy too.

Overall I wouldn't consider it to be as robust a car as my 2004 Corolla but hardly far of the mark. The cost and availability of parts would be a concern to me - the radio being a good example - wasn't overly easy to track one down. Nonetheless I have no doubt you could do worse. The one in the ad looks a bargain, in particular if it is mint as claimed by the seller.

Have you seen the car Beenlost 123?

On the other hand, I have mine 5 years and have put 130k on it. In that time I've had to replace a shock, a droplink, brake discs and pads. The radio display is starting to play up, but aside from that everything works.

My sister has a 2007 Civic hatch with the same 1.8 also and think it would be the same trim level. She has it around 2 years at this stage.They are the bit different.

Soon after she got it the catalytic converter gave up. Sometime later the radio started making weird noises and overheating and then packed in. Honda dealer quoted €750 plus vat for a new one excluding labour of fitting. In the end she got one from a guy breaking one up for €200 and after a severe amount of ripping later I got it fitted. About a week later the separate radio display gave up the go and that has being the same since - another poster mentioned it can be a problem with a wire that needs to be soldered at the back.

Other than that there is a leak in the boot but that might be down to a forklift that bulldozed the car in a DIY store carpark and might have went un-notices when being repaired.

She likes the car and with the 6th gear is quite economical on longer journeys in particular, shorter journeys around town not so much so. Nice and nippy too.

Overall I wouldn't consider it to be as robust a car as my 2004 Corolla but hardly far of the mark. The cost and availability of parts would be a concern to me - the radio being a good example - wasn't overly easy to track one down. Nonetheless I have no doubt you could do worse. The one in the ad looks a bargain, in particular if it is mint as claimed by the seller.

Have you seen the car Beenlost 123?

I had a problem with my radio a few weeks back (turns out my 5 year old slotted a 20c coin into it and blew the fuse, and shorted the electrics.

Before I knew the problem, I thought it was just the radio, had a replacement sourced from the UK that very evening for £35 without postage...

These cars a so common and so many have seen the radios upgraded to android double din yokes that radios are very easy to come by.

On the other hand, I have mine 5 years and have put 130k on it. In that time I've had to replace a shock, a droplink, brake discs and pads. The radio display is starting to play up, but aside from that everything works.

Likewise, ish.

I've put 40k on mine in the last year and I've had to replace one shock top mount. Other than that all I've done is an oil change and two tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This car has started out a 2k about 2 months ago and I had just bought another car just before this was put up and said to myself I would have bought that if it was for sale while I was looking for a car.

Honda Prelude 2.2 non VTEC engine, still has 170bhp though so should move fairly handy. It would have more torque than smaller N/A cars with same power due to the larger engine.

It's been for sale for quite some time and I'd say he is eager to be shot of it. A fair offer of 1100-200 would more than likely bag you this car. Alot of car for the money, nice colour too. Classic insurance.

Y2Q4NmE3MzI1YTJlNmYxYjE4YmUxYjVkYmZiMzgxMjjcwPnT7aXMxFnFBorEpdXRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDUxMTU3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-prelude-1995-nct-2018/15628977

I traded in one of those years ago. Completely underwhelming apart from the digital dash.
    Guy traddd it in for a new Yaris 1.0

I traded in one of those years ago. Completely underwhelming apart from the digital dash.
    Guy traddd it in for a new Yaris 1.0

In what way? Not a good drive or lack of power?

Lack of power and felt cumbersome compared to the FTO I had at the time. Now to be fair it's a much bigger car - but I couldn't really see why you'd buy one over an Integra

Lack of power and felt cumbersome compared to the FTO I had at the time. Now to be fair it's a much bigger car - but I couldn't really see why you'd buy one over an Integra

Sure a FTO has 200 bhp. The Prelude to get is the 2.2 VTEC model but that would set you back quite a few quid if it was in as such a good nick as this one.

Tbh for the price you can pick that non VTEC Prelude for , you can't go wrong imo.
    I know the tax is a killer but sure BMW has 2.5 engines with the same power and probably same weight but with the higher tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

anything else?

What's the verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

this car has been clocked if the ads telling the mileage right. it was mine for the last 4 years before i traded it in to a main dealer. I'm not saying it's them that clocked it but there was 214k miles on it when I traded it in 2 weeks ago!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-honda-accord-diesel-estate/16118583

What was the mileage on the last NCT I wonder? It's almost as if they took a small shaving off just to bring it under the magical 200k but still showing a "high" mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

What was the mileage on the last NCT I wonder? It's almost as if they took a small shaving off just to bring it under the magical 200k but still showing a "high" mileage.

I left all the nct certs in the car but I averaged 25k miles a year in it so there was around the 190 mark when it was tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Do the nct not make a note of the mileage and if its lower than the previous test do something about it ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement