Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Do the nct not make a note of the mileage and if its lower than the previous test do something about it ?

The mileage on the day is noted on the disc but they don't cross check it and they won't tell you if there's a discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Perhaps its just a mistake, for the price its being sold at, I can't see a reduction if 27k miles making much of a difference.

Bringing it from 215 to 187 is kind of like the visual difference between €4.99 or €5.00 on a price label.

We both know that they are both fiver, but the first one feels better. It's a sales technique I suppose. The car is similarly worn with 187 or 215k on it but seeing the odometer starting with a "1" instead of a "2" has a certain value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Bringing it from 215 to 187 is kind of like the visual difference between €4.99 or €5.00 on a price label.

We both know that they are both fiver, but the first one feels better. It's a sales technique I suppose. The car is similarly worn with 187 or 215k on it but seeing the odometer starting with a "1" instead of a "2" has a certain value.

Yeah, have seen this before - relatively small mileage discrepancies, that bring it below a psychological threshold. Have a look at the number of cars on sales sites with just under 100k miles.

Anyone want to pop over and have a look at it and settle this once and for all? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

cocoman wrote: »
    What's the verdict?
    Very nice car, all history seems valid, its in the service book, stampled by same place in tipp, only thing is the logbook is at the office and wasnt there for me.

Ran history check, and its not stolen. Two keys are also there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If a seller is willing to clock a car then a) I wouldn't want to give them business and b) who knows what else they've done or are hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Very nice car, all history seems valid, its in the service book, stampled by same place in tipp, only thing is the logbook is at the office and wasnt there for me.

Ran history check, and its not stolen. Two keys are also there.
    Will you be buying so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

its gone

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

Top Dog wrote: »
    Will you be buying so?

Yeah, I purchased it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Always good to see a Boardsie win in Bangernomics :cool:

I feel so proud posting that now.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That Freelancer looks tidy in fairness and the diesels are fairly hardy in them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Yeah the freelander is cheap , was expecting it to be the petrol version at that price. Won't be around long !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That Freelancer looks tidy in fairness and the diesels are fairly hardy in them too.

That's a BMW diesel - M47TUD20.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-merc-a-class-nct-6-18/15060838

NzczNzFjZGRiZTc2MTFiYTEzMmIwNzE3YTk1ZWI1MDetlGbRDptrNgfVh6EBGYJ1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTM2NjExMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT to 6/18. Won't set the world alight but can do a job nicely for a grand

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭RWD

zerks wrote: »

As mentioned,great BMW engine in them,my grandfather only traded in his 06' one with over 300,000 kms on the clock last week

My missus had one of those freelanders and I was a great car. Other than an appetite for window regulators, and a flimsy interior, it was trouble free, and she'd 120k miles on it when she traded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo/159/2007-alfa-romeo-159/13459861

Can't embed a pic from adverts, but its a 07 Alfa 159 diesel with NCT to 5/18 and tax to 4/18 for €1700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo/159/2007-alfa-romeo-159/13459861

Can't embed a pic from adverts, but its a 07 Alfa 159 diesel with NCT to 5/18 and tax to 4/18 for €1700

Thats gorgeous although the diesel wouldn't interest me - are they still a nightmare to own?

Thats gorgeous although the diesel wouldn't interest me - are they still a nightmare to own?

If the gearbox (M32 bearings), flywheel (typical diesel stuff), swirl flaps (can detach and debris could get into the cylinders) and dpf (sic!!) all have been already taken care off, they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-merc-a-class-nct-6-18/15060838

NzczNzFjZGRiZTc2MTFiYTEzMmIwNzE3YTk1ZWI1MDetlGbRDptrNgfVh6EBGYJ1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MTM2NjExMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT to 6/18. Won't set the world alight but can do a job nicely for a grand

Are they considered as reliable enough ?

bbari wrote: »
    Are they considered as reliable enough ?

The mechanics in the garage hate them with a passion and rant about how useless they are, but I believe they are not popular among mechanics in general as much due to the awkwardness of working on them as their reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Well this is my own car. I've gone up a few years to a mazda 6. I'll be sad to see her go but she's served me well.

DSC_0017_zpszqubdxzb.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-vectra-gts/16165718

This doesnt seem bad, I like a car with cruise control. The timing belt whats the cost to replace that? if mine wasn't still reliable, something this size would be nice. Im wondering what mine will go for being 2 years older, my mpg is better but a petrol'd be nice.

1874 wrote: »
    This doesnt seem bad, I like a car with cruise control. The timing belt whats the cost to replace that? if mine wasn't still reliable, something this size would be nice. Im wondering what mine will go for being 2 years older, my mpg is better but a petrol'd be nice.

It's not for sale anymore...

grogi wrote: »
    It's not for sale anymore...

I just looked at a few minutes ago, the ad is still up? did you enquire?

1874 wrote: »
    I just looked at a few minutes ago, the ad is still up? did you enquire?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104239640&postcount=35

I find it curious that the malfunctioning throttle body wasn't mention in the ad either.

grogi wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104239640&postcount=35

I find it curious that the malfunctioning throttle body wasn't mention in the ad either.

I was thinking myself, I feel bad for the OP but yeh, throttle body. I wasn't really thinking of selling, just keep an eye out, one of my concerns is replacing with something newer/less miles only to discover you have to sink money into it or worse, scrap it. I guess I'll just eke out what I can out of my car for the time until I'm turned away at the nct. Also why I do my oil/filter changes myself, oil in my yoke goes black immediately and I'd never know if it was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yeah the freelander is cheap , was expecting it to be the petrol version at that price. Won't be around long !

Aaaand it's sold.For that price I'm not surprised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement