Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Well despite recent bad luck in the banger thread regarding an avensis that went on fire. Tonight, I picked up a 2004 1.6 petrol for 600 euro. It has all new tyres, new nct, a few weeks tax left and is absolutely spotless with all the extras spotlights, alloys, sunroof and lovely armrests.

I think I done alright for 600? Although they are quite a dated car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

carzony wrote: »
    Well despite recent bad luck in the banger thread regarding an avensis that went on fire. Tonight, I picked up a 2004 1.6 petrol for 600 euro. It has all new tyres, new nct, a few weeks tax left and is absolutely spotless with all the extras spotlights, alloys, sunroof and lovely armrests.

I think I done alright for 600? Although they are quite a dated car now.

For €600 your car won't look like brand new, but as long as it's not a Felicia with 10 shades of whatever paint was originally put on it , you did just fine;)

You got a road legal, relatively modern car for a price of a bicycle.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What mileage out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

beauf wrote: »
    What mileage out of curiosity.

Just over 16300 miles which is just over 10000. Not bad for an avensis of that year, they usually come with huge miles on them by now.

My current focus has more than that on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

carzony wrote: »
    Just over 16300 miles which is just over 10000. Not bad for an avensis of that year, they usually come with huge miles on them by now.

My current focus has more than that on it.

163,000 km? Just over 100k miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-elantra/15495793

Seems like a lot of car for little enough money. Low miles & leather etc.
    I think if he took €1000 off the asking, he'd still struggle to sell. It's clean and whatever, but they are nasty yokes.

I have a disturbing liking for older more unusual cars like this, it looks very clean, but I think the price is too steep, maybe not 1000 to steep. Im sure there is an even uglier estate version and Id be all over it.

Id prefer if it was a requirement to post one image from any links, as if the car is sold/ad down, its still a handy way to read back over the thread and see what was going for how much.

ZTZkNGI4NDJkNTk4YjVkNDY5YWZiNjg5ZGY4ZGVlMjKdvntdDapmu-cTA0M54UOtaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183OTM1Njk0OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This looks fairly clean, 2 years off the road maybe a problem sitting up, but just means they could NCT it, what'd be the known problems with these cars, unless the seller just comes out and says the engine is shagged! I thought it was the Honda diesels that were contrary, so high tax??? looks liek a nice spec if its running ok,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/15894606

2007 Mazda 3. 1.6 petrol. 1 years nct. €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

1874 wrote: »
    ZTZkNGI4NDJkNTk4YjVkNDY5YWZiNjg5ZGY4ZGVlMjKdvntdDapmu-cTA0M54UOtaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183OTM1Njk0OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This looks fairly clean, 2 years off the road maybe a problem sitting up, but just means they could NCT it, what'd be the known problems with these cars, unless the seller just comes out and says the engine is shagged! I thought it was the Honda diesels that were contrary, so high tax??? looks liek a nice spec if its running ok,

No nct so not for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zerks wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/15894606

2007 Mazda 3. 1.6 petrol. 1 years nct. €1000.

That just seems way too cheap to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

bazz26 wrote: »
    That just seems way too cheap to me.

It's a basic, undesirable, ten year old small car with relatively high tax, over 100,000 miles, and it's in Donegal. I can't see how it would make any more.

Gravelly wrote: »
    It's a basic, undesirable, ten year old small car with relatively high tax, over 100,000 miles, and it's in Donegal. I can't see how it would make any more.

That's bit of an exaggeration imo. It's not a v8 gas guzzler costing 1800 to tax per year. 17,000km per year is hardly excessive for a 10 year old car either. It's also no more basic than your average Corolla of similar vintage and Donegal town while is no metropolis is hardly the outer hebrides. I'd imagine that car would fetch another €500 unless it needs alot of work done that the seller isn't mentioning in the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

That's bit of an exaggeration imo. It's not a v8 gas guzzler costing 1800 to tax per year. 17,000km per year is hardly excessive for a 10 year old car either. It's also no more basic than your average Corolla of similar vintage and Donegal town while is no metropolis is hardly the outer hebrides. I'd imagine that car would fetch another €500 unless it needs alot of work done that the seller isn't mentioning in the advert.
    Mazda 6's of that vintage are near worthless, nobody wants them. 1k isn't far off the mark tbh.

This being Ireland and the tax and car size difference between a 3 and 6 I can understand why a 6 would less desirable but I'd still see a 10 year old 3 with decent test being a good buy at 1.5k if it's genuine. If it's genuine at 1k then all the better but that price just gives me the impression it needs money spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Skoda Octavia 2007 1.9tdi NCT Sep 2018, 270k km, €2k.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2007-1-9tdi/16334603

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

This being Ireland and the tax and car size difference between a 3 and 6 I can understand why a 6 would less desirable but I'd still see a 10 year old 3 with decent test being a good buy at 1.5k if it's genuine. If it's genuine at 1k then all the better but that price just gives me the impression it needs money spent on it.

It's a focus size car with a mondeo size engine, of an undesirable male and model. Donegal is far away from everywhere except Donegal. Given that there's loads of cars of this size with more economical engines, lower tax, and more desirable makes available in the large population centres, the market for this is probably people within a short distance of the seller. Will be very lucky to make €1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Nobody wants the 3 either. A poster on here had a link on the bangernomics thread to a 2008 mazda 3 that a friend of their's was selling for 2k and that didn't sell either. The price was eventually dropped the €1400 and it sold but it could of went for even less with haggling.

Mazdas just aren't popular in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lads in a bit of a bind for a run around. Need advice.

What ye think of this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus/16244898

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

I have a 06 Mazda 3 since it was 4 years old .
    It's just hitting 120k KLM's and I can honestly say that I have never spent a penny on it yet . It's serviced once a year and never had any problems with it . I know it's not worth much but I'm gonna drive it until it gives up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hard to go too far wrong with that Focus if it's driving ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Buy what is weird is that it drives twice as good...

That's what I thought. If I got her for 1000 and got a 18 m9nths of driving you can't go wrong.

grogi wrote: »
    Buy what is weird is that it drives twice as good...

Wtf??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's what I thought. If I got her for 1000 and got a 18 m9nths of driving you can't go wrong.

That's be my thinking. Those 1.6s are fairly robust and it wouldn't be too hard on fuel. They still look like a modern car and it has leccy windows, remote locking, air con and whatever. Be a grand daily for a grand :pac:

That's be my thinking. Those 1.6s are fairly robust and it wouldn't be too hard on fuel. They still look like a modern car and it has leccy windows, remote locking, air con and whatever. Be a grand daily for a grand :pac:

Boom.mic drop. Exit left!!

Ta for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LEBE

Hi, I have a Ford Fiesta Ghia 2000 for sale. 80000 km, nct until next January and taxed. Well looked after and passes Nct no problem. New clutch and battery in last year. Advertised on Adverts for 650 but of course, there is wiggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

LEBE wrote: »
    Hi, I have a Ford Fiesta Ghia 2000 for sale. 80000 km, nct until next January and taxed. Well looked after and passes Nct no problem. New clutch and battery in last year. Advertised on Adverts for 650 but of course, there is wiggle room.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/fiesta/2000-ford-fiesta/13567680

Gravelly wrote: »
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Mazda 6's of that vintage are near worthless, nobody wants them. 1k isn't far off the mark tbh.

I hate to drag it up again, but it seems fairly clean from what can be seen, even of the interior from the drivers side, is the price really that bad, maybe they have allowed for wiggle room/offers, unless there is something needing done at this point like a clutch/timing belt. Its not atrociously over 100k miles nor should 100k miles plus be seen as some point that cars are useless beyond.
    As mentioned its a 3 not a 6, generally heard good things about them, not particularly much about the 1.6, but nothing bad, are they really so undesireable??
    The biggest problem is it being in donegal, its a bit of a journey, I took a trip across the country to buy a motorbike once which in person turned out to be a dangerous pile of shyte, plus I have an aversion to certain counties/regs from experiences of the roads/drivers in certain parts of the country, Donegal is up there, but this looks clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

1874 wrote:
    Donegal is up there
    It sure is...

• Advertisement

marketty wrote: »
    It sure is...

Yes, up there as in at or near the top of the list where Im wary of buying car

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement