Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

zerks wrote: »

That's nice - would be an ideal "weekend workhorse" for carrying stuff and pulling a small trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

zerks wrote: »

Its incredible the value in older cars at the present time.
    My first car was a Mini 850 (back in 1985) and most of the boot floor was fibreglass. It cost the princely sum of 850 punts.

When you consider the depreciation in the value of money, you could now buy TWO BMW 318 estates for the price of that Mini.

Some difference in the level of refinement and build between the two examples!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Its incredible the value in older cars at the present time.
    My first car was a Mini 850 (back in 1985) and most of the boot floor was fibreglass. It cost the princely sum of 850 punts.

When you consider the depreciation in the value of money, you could now buy TWO BMW 318 estates for the price of that Mini.

Some difference in the level of refinement and build between the two examples!

You were very la-di-da having a floor in the boot of your mini ;)

Gravelly wrote: »
    You were very la-di-da having a floor in the boot of your mini ;)

I thought it was made out of steel when I bought it!

The battery falling down through the floor and shorting out the live wire soon caused me to re-evaluate !

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I thought it was made out of steel when I bought it!

The battery falling down through the floor and shorting out the live wire soon caused me to re-evaluate !

The "battery dragging along the road" sound effect was a popular one with the minis alright. A friends mother ran over a dog years ago with the family mini, and the dogs carcass ended up in the boot after he went up through the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

That's nice - would be an ideal "weekend workhorse" for carrying stuff and pulling a small trailer.

It really does look very clean too, and as you say, great utility. I'm sure there's a few quid that could be negotiated off as well.

It really does look very clean too, and as you say, great utility. I'm sure there's a few quid that could be negotiated off as well.

Have to admit I'm kinda tempted. Might ring up the insurance company and see what it would cost to add to the family fleet!

The bodywork looks like it wouldn't take much to sort either, if that silver could be blended in ok.

The tax :(

Has the requisite Nokia 91H car kit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Lads in a bit of a bind for a run around. Need advice.

What ye think of this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus/16244898

My son has one, same model ,same year, higher mileage, not a bother with it in 14 months. Looks like good value to me if it checks out. Bring a mechanic with you if you can just to be sure. No mention of an NCT.

Edit: just checked NCT 5/18. Buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

1874 wrote: »
    I hate to drag it up again, but it seems fairly clean from what can be seen, even of the interior from the drivers side, is the price really that bad, maybe they have allowed for wiggle room/offers, unless there is something needing done at this point like a clutch/timing belt. Its not atrociously over 100k miles nor should 100k miles plus be seen as some point that cars are useless beyond.
    As mentioned its a 3 not a 6, generally heard good things about them, not particularly much about the 1.6, but nothing bad, are they really so undesireable??
    The biggest problem is it being in donegal, its a bit of a journey, I took a trip across the country to buy a motorbike once which in person turned out to be a dangerous pile of shyte, plus I have an aversion to certain counties/regs from experiences of the roads/drivers in certain parts of the country, Donegal is up there, but this looks clean.

Yes they are, I don't know what it is down to but maybe it's because they are a small player, are expensive to buy new and genuine parts are astronomically priced. They also are in the shadow of bigger brands such as toyota and honda.

what's the significance of the kit?

what's the significance of the kit?

Nothing other than it places the car so firmly in it's time.

Nothing other than it places the car so firmly in it's time.
    When I searched it in a google image search third relevant image that came up was a picture of it fitted to the interior of a Saab, very much like the 2002 Saab I'm driving these days.
    https://goo.gl/images/TYqQmK

When I searched it in a google image search third relevant image that came up was a picture of it fitted to the interior of a Saab, very much like the 2002 Saab I'm driving these days.
    https://goo.gl/images/TYqQmK

I must have owned at least half a dozen cars with that Nokia 91H car kit in them, everything from a late 90's E320 to a late 2000's Celica. They were about the only car kit you ever saw for a period in the early 2000's and they were fitted to just about every executive/luxury car of the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

As most of the "premium brand" cars of the era.

I have removed one from the Mercedes in 5 minutes and replaced the whole cassette player with Bluetooth radio in minutes.

Still shocking that had to do it with Mercedes while same year Renault Scenic I owned had a cd player...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yes they are, I don't know what it is down to but maybe it's because they are a small player, are expensive to buy new and genuine parts are astronomically priced. They also are in the shadow of bigger brands such as toyota and honda.

Picked up one of these a year or so ago and 07. (mazda 3).Similar mileage than this one, from a dealer, but more expensive.
    Gotta say, they are ahead IMHO of the similar vintage Corolla. Only downside is slightly higher tax, but they are very reliable and easy to run.
    My one is a TR, I don't seen the badge on this one. Mine has AC which you won't get in corrollas of the same age.
    Horses for courses etc, and location is somewhat inaccessible, but of its straight 1k is seriously cheap.

Picked up one of these a year or so ago and 07. (mazda 3).Similar mileage than this one, from a dealer, but more expensive.
    Gotta say, they are ahead IMHO of the similar vintage Corolla. Only downside is slightly higher tax, but they are very reliable and easy to run.
    My one is a TR, I don't seen the badge on this one. Mine has AC which you won't get in corrollas of the same age.
    Horses for courses etc, and location is somewhat inaccessible, but of its straight 1k is seriously cheap.

And the seller gives her name in the ad. which is a lot more than most sellers do.
    In my book, its a lot less likely to be a time bomb of a car when you know the sellers name etc. It at least indicates a level of confidence in what they're selling.

In what way? You do get ac in 07 corollas and climate control if it's a luna hatchback.

They also offer better performance and economy and rust a lot less than the mazda also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You won't buy a decent 07 Corolla for what you will pay for a decent 07 Mazda3. Don't think there is anything special about the 07 onwards NG Corolla saloon either. They were cheaply built especially the interior, generally poorly speced and heavy enough to make the performance of the 1.4 petrol engine nothing special. I certainly wouldn't pay much more for one over a Mazda3.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You won't buy a decent 07 Corolla for what you will pay for a decent 07 Mazda3. Don't think there is anything special about the 07 onwards NG Corolla saloon either. They were cheaply built especially the interior, generally poorly speced and heavy enough to make the performance of the 1.4 petrol engine nothing special. I certainly wouldn't pay much more for one over a Mazda3.

But the interior of most mazda 3's is poor too and they are even more cheaply built than a corolla. I don't see any spec advantage in the mazda tbh. You would need to get a type s civic for that.

The corolla is more expensive to buy but it is also much more popular and You will sell a corolla again without much issues while it will be very difficult to sell a mazda 3.

The 3 also suffers badly from rust underneath and around the arches. Not so on a corolla.

The only advantage I see with the mazda is that it is sharper to drive but does that really matter on a family car. Most people prefer comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Resale values are all relative on cars of that age, buy a 07 Mazda3 for 1.5k and get nothing for it after a few years or spend 3.5k on a 07 Corolla and get 2k for it after a few years. The Mazda3 was available in 2 trim levels with a/c standard on the second, Corolla was available in 3 trim levels with a/c only standard on the third. I'd also like to see some sort of stats on the number of Mazda3 that fail the NCT for rust.

But Toyota always seems to come out on top in your eyes anyway so no matter what I say won't be right.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Resale values are all relative on cars of that age, buy a 07 Mazda3 for 1.5k and get nothing for it after a few years or spend 3.5k on a 07 Corolla and get 2k for it after a few years. The Mazda3 was available in 2 trim levels with a/c standard on the second, Corolla was available in 3 trim levels with a/c only standard on the third. I'd also like to see some sort of stats on the number of Mazda3 that fail the NCT for rust.

But Toyota always seems to come out on top in your eyes anyway so no matter what I say won't be right.

Mazda's rust issues are well documented as is the mazda 3's rust problems. It's a widespread issue. I don't know where you will get nct stats but You are welcome to ask any qualified mechanic who works on cars day in day out about these problems if you wish.

The mazda might of only been available in 2 trim(i think they actually came in 3)levels but id wager that they were a more expensive car to buy new. Lots of mazdas of that era came with stellies and hubcaps too.

For what it is worth I don't think the corolla always comes out on top. Just in this case I do think it os a better car. I'd prefer a civic to both tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-toyota-avensis-for-sale/16390887

2004 Toyota Avensis 1.6 petrol, 120,000 miles, NCT 02/18, Tax 09/17, €1800

Friends car, great condition and very well looked after

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Mazda's rust issues are well documented as is the mazda 3's rust problems. It's a widespread issue. I don't know where you will get nct stats but You are welcome to ask any qualified mechanic who works on cars day in day out about these problems if you wish.

The rust is a real issue with Mazda UK imports. The Irish ones are much better - and while they probably will not reach their thirties, they are perfectly fine cars.

And so much less boring than any Corolla. The Zoom-Zoom design language (Mazda6 in 2002 and Mazda3 in 2004) still looks pretty modern these days. Compare to the likes of Octavia, Astra or Golf 5...

grogi wrote: »
    The rust is a real issue with Mazda UK imports. The Irish ones are much better - and while they probably will not reach their thirties, they are perfectly fine cars.

And so much less boring than any Corolla. The Zoom-Zoom design language (Mazda6 in 2002 and Mazda3 in 2004) still looks pretty modern these days. Compare to the likes of Octavia, Astra or Golf 5...
    No it's an issue with all of them, irish ones included.

The zoom zoom design is horribly dated now, especially on the mk1 mazda 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LEBE

LEBE wrote: »
    Hi, I have a Ford Fiesta Ghia 2000 for sale. 80000 km, nct until next January and taxed. Well looked after and passes Nct no problem. New clutch and battery in last year. Advertised on Adverts for 650 but of course, there is wiggle room.

Hi all, what am I doing wrong here? Fab car at ridiculous price and no interest. Have dropped price to 550. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

I personally think the mazda 3 hatch of 2004/5/6 still looks fresh with a decent set of alloys on it.
    Certainly fresher than a similar hatch corolla.

But that is very much off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

LEBE wrote: »
    Hi all, what am I doing wrong here? Fab car at ridiculous price and no interest. Have dropped price to 550. Any advice?

What year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement