Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

My parents have a TT nearly identical to that taxed, NCT'd and insured (on a classic policy) for a good bit less than that. That one is for sale a while. I don't know if theres something wrong with it, but the one my folks bought was for sale an age too. I think its just that nobody wants em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

My parents have a TT nearly identical to that taxed, NCT'd and insured (on a classic policy) for a good bit less than that. That one is for sale a while. I don't know if theres something wrong with it, but the one my folks bought was for sale an age too. I think its just that nobody wants em.

Yeah the lads in our garage tell me they are hard to shift - a combination of high insurance cost, and a "hairdressers Porsche" perception. A lot of them I know of are driven by car enthusiasts. I'd say they will be a gold-plated classic in time.

Yeah I've told my parents to hang onto theirs for a while yet. Early original low milers will be surely go up in value in the next while. Perhaps when they hit 20 y/o?

Yeah I've told my parents to hang onto theirs for a while yet. Early original low milers will be surely go up in value in the next while. Perhaps when they hit 20 y/o?

They'll started climbing in value from 20 years I'd say, but they will start to be worth serious money once they hit 30 and qualify for classic tax (as long as that doesn't change) and get scarce. A lot of car enthusiasts start to buy stuff like this when it's 20-25 years old. You can see it at the moment with Merc 190's - lots of lads hoarding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

wonski wrote: »
    +1

I would rather buy this good looking tt with this budget in mind:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-tt-quattro/15872521

NCT 10/18, taxed until the end of September.

What was it? It's gone already...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Tt sold now...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Gravelly wrote: »
    Would you bother though? If I was going to buy a 90's "weekend" car, it would either be a sportscar for a bit of fun, or an estate for practicality. This would just be like my everday car except less comfortable, slower, and uglier.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I like that Passat.

Can see the attraction of the TT as well.

wonski wrote: »
    Tt sold now...

I sent that ad to a friend after you posted it, wonder if he managed to buy it that quick, must text him!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »

Is a 13 year old Lancer with over 100k miles on the clock that costs over €500 a year to tax worth €950? I thought it would be pretty much unsellable at any price other than scrap value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Is a 13 year old Lancer with over 100k miles on the clock that costs over €500 a year to tax worth €950? I thought it would be pretty much unsellable at any price other than scrap value.

I'd agree €950 is high, but the car looks fairly clean/straight (if basic) and can still have some utility value.

I'd agree €950 is high, but the car looks fairly clean/straight (if basic) and can still have some utility value.

Oh I'd agree it looks like fine, but if you are a buyer with only €1k to spend, would you buy a car that costs that much to tax, not to mention the fuel cost of a 1.6 over, say a 1.0? Then there's the insurance hike for it being over 10 years old. There's quite a few cars available at that budget that are under 10 years old, and have smaller engines, and I'd imagine for someone on a €1k budget, running cost would be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Oh I'd agree it looks like fine, but if you are a buyer with only €1k to spend, would you buy a car that costs that much to tax, not to mention the fuel cost of a 1.6 over, say a 1.0? Then there's the insurance hike for it being over 10 years old. There's quite a few cars available at that budget that are under 10 years old, and have smaller engines, and I'd imagine for someone on a €1k budget, running cost would be key.

i bought a €800 bangernomic simply because even tho the tax and all is higher, it works out cheaper to own over a year as there is practically no depreciation on the car comparing to buying a €10k car that will lose roughly €2k or so a year on top of running costs etc

i bought a €800 bangernomic simply because even tho the tax and all is higher, it works out cheaper to own over a year as there is practically no depreciation on the car comparing to buying a €10k car that will lose roughly €2k or so a year on top of running costs etc

That's true, though how many buyers out there would buy a €1k Lancer if they had the choice of any other car? Maybe I'm missing some attraction of Lancers (I've never owned one). I've owned bangernomics cars in the past, but I bought them because they were unusual, interesting, or just caught my fancy. To me, a Lancer is one of the most boring cars I can think of, though as I say, I could be wrong as I've never driven one. There are 3 types of bangernomics drivers, the ones like you that buy them because they are cheaper to own over the long term, the ones like me that buy them because they are fun or interesting, and the people who buy them because that's all they can afford. I'm not sure a Lancer would appeal to any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mind me asking what year that TT is and who they have it covered with? I've a classic policy with autoline and they seem to be telling me they strictly only cover cars 20 years or older with exceptions made for "interesting" stuff. I read on here about a guy who had a 2001/02 205 GTI on a classic policy for example.

I wouldn't mind picking up something like a 99/00 TT for a while and add it on, but I dunno if they'd cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

There are 3 types of bangernomics drivers, the ones like you that buy them because they are cheaper to own over the long term, the ones like me that buy them because they are fun or interesting, and the people who buy them because that's all they can afford. I'm not sure a Lancer would appeal to any of them.

i bought mine cause it is a hoot to drive and cheaper to run long term. Had a newer car but any time i wanted to upgrade i lost so much on deprecation so gotta love bangers

i bought mine cause it is a hoot to drive and cheaper to run long term. Had a newer car but any time i wanted to upgrade i lost so much on deprecation so gotta love bangers

I've bought a few of those in my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Gearboxes were absolutely an issue on these and the chain issues can't be blamed on irish maintenance because it was a widespread issue due to poor quality. The previous model didn't have any issues with chains and there was plenty of those sold here back in the day.

Owned two (ph1 & ph2) with no gearbox issues at all, two others with members of family without issue, and one with a friend, who had the timing chain but no issue with gearbox, what would I know.

They were far from perfect, but taken care of they could be reliable, even if the N15 was a much better car.

Agricola wrote: »
    Mind me asking what year that TT is and who they have it covered with? I've a classic policy with autoline and they seem to be telling me they strictly only cover cars 20 years or older with exceptions made for "interesting" stuff. I read on here about a guy who had a 2001/02 205 GTI on a classic policy for example.

I wouldn't mind picking up something like a 99/00 TT for a while and add it on, but I dunno if they'd cover it.

It's an 00 TT and covered with autoline. They have two other cars insured with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The 205 only ran to 1998. How do they have a 2001 205 GTI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

First Ireland were allowing me to add a TT to my classic policy, but mileage was limited to 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

First Ireland were allowing me to add a TT to my classic policy, but mileage was limited to 2k.

Out of curiosity, how is that verified? Do they take you at your word?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

NCT each year...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

Im selling my 2001 C-Class Sport Coupe.

Evolution Spec so
    Pano roof
    17" wheels with good rubber
    Leather (or maybe tex) in cream
    slightly lowered suspension from the factory

2.0 M111 engine with Auto box, 110k miles. 2 owners, me for the past 5 years and 70k miles, friend of a friend before that from new. Full meaningful service history from new and all receipts for work done from new. I serviced it myself every 6k since I bought it with 50k miles on it.

Recent full front suspension rebuild, so all track arms, control arms etc done, but not the shocks. Good brake pads and rotors all round. Autobox service by MSL Mercedes at 80k miles or so.

Tax until April 2018, and overdue NCT (if failed on the tracking being out as I guessed it after replacing a shock mount!), but must bring it back as I never got a chance to retest.) I'll do next week and will be sold with a new NCT.

Bad bits are slight bit of corrosion starting to take hold on one wheel arch which I would tend to now were I keeping it, scratch low down on front bumper where I caught a high kerb and a slight blow from the exhaust when cold (id suspect M111 manifold crack here). Might also do with a set of engine mounts. Otherwise it drives like a new car.

It has a reversing camera fitted linked to a touch screen headunit, but the original head unit will be supplied with the car unless I get the value of it (€350, it is only a 6 month old Pioneer AVH-X2800BT). I'll leave the camera and wiring though.

I'll take photos tomorrow and put it on done deal next week, but it is surely worth 1k to someone. It is a solid genuine old car and I'd love it to go to a good home. My reason for selling is I don't have the time I did to do the maintenance on it, and it isn't a 1995 corolla that you can just drive and forget about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

That's true, though how many buyers out there would buy a €1k Lancer if they had the choice of any other car? Maybe I'm missing some attraction of Lancers (I've never owned one). To me, a Lancer is one of the most boring cars I can think of, though as I say, I could be wrong as I've never driven one.

They are basic but they are a good car. The 1.6 is average but also reliable. One thing that always stood out with them for me was that the brakes were brilliant, better then most stuff of around that era I've ever drove. Handing in them isnt too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

MDA2_Nz_Nh_MDgx_Nj_U0_YWJi_ODEy_MTY3_MTI2_Nj_Uw_OWM1_ZTh4_LCWU.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/97-bmw-318i-saloon-nct-til-july-2018/16441049

1997 e36 318i saloon supposedly same owner for the last 16 years
    test till july 18
    tax till october
    146k miles showing on the clock
    looks straight and tidy
    asking €500

NTYw_NWMy_Mj_Q0_MDZm_MWU1_ZGI1_ZWNl_Mz_Vm_ZDY2_Yz_I3_MDWJQth_L.jpg

1998 b5 a4 1.8t
    test till january 18
    tax till the end of september
    looks straight albeit unwashed
    supposedly taken as a trade in
    Asking €250

MDNi_YTJl_ZTYz_OWRl_YTc2_NGRl_MTMz_ZTU4_Zj_Q2_Yj_Fh_OTjbf_Zy7.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/c250turbo-dsl-1-owner-nct2018-tax-nov/16385100

1998 w202 c250td auto
    test till december 17
    tax till november
    supposedly a one owner car
    with what I'm assuming is 160k miles on the clock
    Asking €600

Fancy pigeon needs to buy that Merc!

What'd you buy?
    (Personally, when folk refer to having bought/run bangernomic cars I really like to hear what they got (e.g. I've a 2002 Saab 93, bought just over 1.5 years ago €900, and have put 35k miles on it since then)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

You have to fill in a mileage declaration each year so I would imagine in the event of an accident they would then ask for NCT certs to prove the mileage you said you were doing. False declaration - no insurance.

• Advertisement

Fancy pigeon needs to buy that Merc!
    How solid were Mercs of that generation?
    I've not been into the make, but I know they've had periods where they were bullet... nay bomb-proof; and other periods where (at least by comparison) they crafted the cars largely from chocolate and cheese.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement