Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

How solid were Mercs of that generation?
    I've not been into the make, but I know they've had periods where they were bullet... nay bomb-proof; and other periods where (at least by comparison) they crafted the cars largely from chocolate and cheese.

W202 is considered the last MB by many...

So be under no illusion though. It is still an old premium car - it will generate cost... Mercedes did not abandon them and are still selling genuine parts for them though, like for many older cars as well - but the prices are eye watering.

What's more, it also does not feel premium by today standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Quazzie wrote: »
    The 205 only ran to 1998. How do they have a 2001 205 GTI?

Fair point. I was almost certain the guy mentioned a 205 but I had a look in my PMs and he actually had a 17 year old MR2!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

emeldc wrote: »
    You have to fill in a mileage declaration each year so I would imagine in the event of an accident they would then ask for NCT certs to prove the mileage you said you were doing. False declaration - no insurance.

I find the declaration of mileage very slapdash. When I was with First Ireland, they sent out that form every year and insisted it be returned before or soon after the renewal was completed. They always asked me about the mileage of any car I intended to cover.

Now I have autoline. One woman on the phone there asks for it. Up to the point of not accepting a rounded up, ballpark figure. Nearly wanted a photo of the dash! One guy I sometimes get, never does. They sent out the form once, I didn't think to return it and no one every queried me about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Agricola wrote: »
    I find the declaration of mileage very slapdash. When I was with First Ireland, they sent out that form every year and insisted it be returned before or soon after the renewal was completed. They always asked me about the mileage of any car I intended to cover.

Now I have autoline. One woman on the phone there asks for it. Up to the point of not accepting a rounded up, ballpark figure. Nearly wanted a photo of the dash! One guy I sometimes get, never does. They sent out the form once, I didn't think to return it and no one every queried me about it again.

I've been insuring classics for nigh on 25 years on limited mileage policies and nobody has ever asked me to verify the mileage I actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Gravelly wrote: »
    I've been insuring classics for nigh on 25 years on limited mileage policies and nobody has ever asked me to verify the mileage I actually do.

Have you ever needed to make a claim?

• Advertisement

Have you ever needed to make a claim?

Not yet, no!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

grogi wrote: »

w201 or w124 I think would be.

I insure my w201 with FBD on a classic policy. No word of a mileage restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Fancy pigeon needs to buy that Merc!

Thought the exact same thing...

How solid were Mercs of that generation?
    I've not been into the make, but I know they've had periods where they were bullet... nay bomb-proof; and other periods where (at least by comparison) they crafted the cars largely from chocolate and cheese.

Great cars the last of the "bomb proof" Mercs as you put it.

The om605 is a peach of an engine great power output for it's era and supremely reliable.

It's amazing the power that can be got out of them when the Scandinavian wizards get their hands on a big ol turbo and a fiddled pump too.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

maidhc wrote: »
    w201 or w124 I think would be.

I'd go with the W140 as the last one designed and built by engineers. The W202 was good in many ways, but the early ones had terrible interiors and I remember the argument around this as I lived in Germany at the time. The truth came out later as hidden stuff like clips and screws were fiound to be of lesser quality than the predecessors.

The slide continued when they replaced the W124 Coupe with the W208, which was based on the C-Class, not the E-Class.

i still like the W202, the estate is especially nice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

So be under no illusion though. It is still an old premium car - it will generate cost... Mercedes did not abandon them and are still selling genuine parts for them though, like for many older cars as well - but the prices are eye watering.

What's more, it also does not feel premium by today standards.
    No the previous model was tbh. The w202 wasn't a great car and suffered from the same rust and quality issues that plagued later mercs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Car is sold lads. Cheers.

Hi lads

I'll be putting a 2006 1.8 petrol Peugeot 407 Comfort ST up for sale the weekend after this. I'm doing more mileage than expected and I'm switching to diesel.

It's running great, alloys in lovely condition, good tyres. There's some scratches as to be expected for an 11 year old car. It also has an upgrade to the sat nav. It's doing a steady 36mpg which I can show on the trip computer based on 4.5k miles. Current mileage is 110k miles.

Tax and NCT are both to (end) Jan 2018.

Reasonably good service history with timing belt kit done and the most recent service was in April of this year (about 4000 miles ago) with a Peugeot garage - they commented that it was "a great example of the model".

I'm looking to sell it quickly so it will go up for €750 and €600 would take it. If there was someone on this forum who wanted to PM me then I'd take €500 for a member. I bought the car after reading this forum and I've learned a lot from the forum.

Any test/inspection welcomed. I'll be up front and say that the air con isn't working. I've tried re-gassing but that didn't work.

I'm based in Dundalk. I can PM pictures if needed but I won't have these until this Saturday when I take out the child seat and give the car a bit of a spruce up.

Any questions just PM me. Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Where were you 3 weeks ago when I got mine! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

handofdog wrote: »
    Hi lads

I'll be putting a 2006 1.8 petrol Peugeot 407 Comfort ST up for sale the weekend after this. I'm doing more mileage than expected and I'm switching to diesel.

It's running great, alloys in lovely condition, good tyres. There's some scratches as to be expected for an 11 year old car. It also has an upgrade to the sat nav. It's doing a steady 36mpg which I can show on the trip computer based on 4.5k miles. Current mileage is 110k miles.

Tax and NCT are both to (end) Jan 2018.

Reasonably good service history with timing belt kit done and the most recent service was in April of this year (about 4000 miles ago) with a Peugeot garage - they commented that it was "a great example of the model".

I'm looking to sell it quickly so it will go up for €750 and €600 would take it. If there was someone on this forum who wanted to PM me then I'd take €500 for a member. I bought the car after reading this forum and I've learned a lot from the forum.

Any test/inspection welcomed. I'll be up front and say that the air con isn't working. I've tried re-gassing but that didn't work.

I'm based in Dundalk. I can PM pictures if needed but I won't have these until this Saturday when I take out the child seat and give the car a bit of a spruce up.

Any questions just PM me. Cheers.

Your pricing is about right. I sold the same model ('05) a year ago. Our car from new, 140K miles, never missed a service, got everything it ever needed on time and broke my heart to let it go for €500. But that's how things have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

emeldc wrote: »
    Your pricing is about right. I sold the same model ('05) a year ago. Our car from new, 140K miles, never missed a service, got everything it ever needed on time and broke my heart to let it go for €500. But that's how things have gone.

To be fair I think that I'm a bit below on market value - although I would think that!

The lower mileage and sat nav would be worth a little extra at the very least. It also has €256 worth of tax (636 * 5/12).

I'm not arguing that cars have become much cheaper. I agree with you in that they have. I just think my pricing is low. Anyway, we can let the buyers decide if it's value or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Belongs in the classics and Luxobarge thread as well. If it is as stated, then it's worth it. Cosmetically not the best, but still a beautiful ride on it and a bit of a head turner. .

NCT 04/18 €2,150

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-xm-2-1-td/16428679

MDNiYjU4YWY4NTY5ZGQwM2Q3ZTIwYjQwMWY4OGYxOWY0914yUR-jYy6-hXqEk9A9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MDI3MzA1MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It belongs in the dreamers thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If he's a car enthusiast, there's no excuse for the poor quality of photos.

Trojan wrote: »
    If he's a car enthusiast, there's no excuse for the poor quality of photos.

And the trim hanging down off the back window

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina/16334978

ZGU1NjkwMmU0ZGE1ODBjYzJhMzdkOWFhMjI4NDg5YzO6Z42HzCGLNBayWU4gP18TaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183OTM2NDcyNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Its only tested until January, but for (presumably) €500 I'd rock it for the plate alone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Could it be an ex governmental car?

• Advertisement

ZGU1NjkwMmU0ZGE1ODBjYzJhMzdkOWFhMjI4NDg5YzO6Z42HzCGLNBayWU4gP18TaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183OTM2NDcyNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Its only tested until January, but for (presumably) €500 I'd rock it for the plate alone
    I know it's 25 years old and close to 300k but It looks to be in terrible condition tbh. There is better examples out there for not much more.

bear1 wrote: »
    Could it be an ex governmental car?

Yeah I wondered, black is an unusual colour for one. If it had an old brown logbook we'd know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/16143543

MTM1ZTRmYjE2YTUxZGRjMmVmMGY2ODRmNjBhN2Y5ZWJNpSDdEBCcO2ir7EBjO4L4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183ODAyNTU4OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

1.4 Petrol
    Nearly 12 months NCT
    45000 miles (allegedly at least)
    €850
    Not a bad looking buy

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

If it was in slightly better nick I'd be tempted, purely because I owned one back in the day. At only 300,000 miles tis hardly run in :D

It looks alright to me?

It looks alright to me?

Maybe I'm being over critical. The front end looks a little off to me, I think I can see some damage on the nearside rear, and I'm suspicious that there are no interior pics.

You know what, I'm only seenig the back quarter panel now. Shame.

Also, the grille looks a bit off here

But if you look from here..it seems to be a shadow?

MDcxMGM1YjYyNmE4ODZhODA5ZmQwN2QzNzBjYzQ1NzUSsZXI6PusMQ_I2jIz4TM7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183OTM2NDcyM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I'd say the interior is a bit scruffy but these cars have an amazing ability to wear mileage well on bolsters etc.

You know what, I'm only seenig the back quarter panel now. Shame.

Also, the grille looks a bit off here

But if you look from here..it seems to be a shadow?

MDcxMGM1YjYyNmE4ODZhODA5ZmQwN2QzNzBjYzQ1NzUSsZXI6PusMQ_I2jIz4TM7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183OTM2NDcyM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I'd say the interior is a bit scruffy but these cars have an amazing ability to wear mileage well on bolsters etc.

I can't tell from the front end whether it's a fault in the photo or whether it's a bit wonky. If I were to buy one of these, it would have to be immaculate, and I'm guessing an immaculate one wouldn't be bought for €500

SmartinMartin on here has a lovely 89 one in gold.

• Advertisement

SmartinMartin on here has a lovely 89 one in gold.

Gold is THE colour for these imo. It was by far the most popular colour back in the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement