Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

ELM327 wrote: »

A lack of interior photos always scares the BeeJesus out of me...probably from my car valeting past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ym_Y0_MTRl_Zj_Vi_Y2_Y5_NTZj_Nz_Zi_MDRh_Mm_Nj_NDJk_MTEy_N2_GGd_Hc9.jpg

Nj_Zh_Mj_Yw_Zj_E4_Ym_Uw_ODUx_ZTcy_OTcz_OWNk_Ym_U4_YWRm_N2_Njl_Pf_S.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/c200-mercedes/16503507

Future classic Bangernomics

High Spec Mercedes C200 auto.
    Tax till the end of March 18
    Test Till the 4th of January 18
    Low owner count, current owner for the last 12 years.
    Supposedly a Full service history.
    200k miles on the clock and still looks very fresh so I'd imagine it has been well cared for.
    Asking €750

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wait till Duke sees that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Guarantee that is an absolute gem in the flesh. You can just tell from the wording of the ad its been looked after by caring owner(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Fresh test to 04/18, daysul, low miles for the age, nice colour/wheel combination - 1790. Would nearly be tempted myself.

ZmE2OWM5ZGU5NGQ1NTQ4OTlhYjkzNjg0MjFlNjc1ZmVudgNHXdByBT18mX0Stv7GaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MTEzMzk1Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mondeo-st-just-tested/16514130

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Lovely car but wrong wheels and 2.2 tax for 155bhp is a bit of a pain

Lovely car but wrong wheels and 2.2 tax for 155bhp is a bit of a pain
    Personal preference I suppose - but I prefer them to the multi-straight-spoke design. :)

Agree on the tax alright - 200 euro extra for 200cc is a pain alright. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

200k miles on the clock and still looks very fresh so I'd imagine it has been well cared for.
    Asking €750

I know that car and the owner pretty well. He is meticulous and keeps good records. I've never seen it dirty in all the years I've know him. If I'd space etc I'd get it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

CorkMan_ wrote: »

Asking €750

I know that car and the owner pretty well. He is meticulous and keeps good records. I've never seen it dirty in all the years I've know him. If I'd space etc I'd get it myself.

He's done a terrible job with the pictures, if he's made an effort with the car over the years the least he could do is picture it properly !!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That C Class looks lovely, if I had a place to store it I'd have too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

So, this could fit the criteria I'm working towards in other thread. Looking at what I think are specs:
    https://www.auto-data.net/en/?f=showCar&car_id=7693
    fuel economy is good, luggage space is good (500l) and with hatchback and folding seats would become very big when required. The extra 200 on tax wouldn't bother me as it's a small addition to my motoring costs (which are fuel dominated at the moment).
    0-60 and hp are decent (about same as what I'm driving now, and the diesel torque might even make that feel a bit better when pulling low in revs).

I think they're chain driven at that generation (pre 2008). So what's to look at if buying this? At the bangernomics price range, do folk transact cash mostly? (I've bought last 2 cars for cash (bank-notes), but was 1200 and 900 level; small dealers).
    Top Dog wrote: »
    Fresh test to 04/18, daysul, low miles for the age, nice colour/wheel combination - 1790. Would nearly be tempted myself.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mondeo-st-just-tested/16514130
    If (big if) I ran it a year it would basically pay for itself in fuel savings versus what I'm doing today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Asking €750

Pre 1996 drivers headlamp (probably smashed by a loose chip off the road) otherwise it's far cleaner than my own wine W202, liking that interior! :cool:

I had a 1997 C200 that had a full Mercedes history until 185k miles, so this is entirely possible.

They're thin on the ground the C200...!

Was rust an issue on those like it was on the E Class at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

bazz26 wrote: »
    Was rust an issue on those like it was on the E Class at the time?

quite an issue.
    When I was moving on my W201, I was looking for an S202 (the estate version of the car posted) as a replacement, or even a decent saloon.
    Looked at 6 or 7 all over the country and all had the tinworm to varying degrees. A lot of it around the wheel arches, but also in odd spots, it broke out like a dose of scabies on some of them - bootlids, roof, door panels.. and iirc only one of the cars I viewed was a UK import. I just missed out on a peach of a saloon at the time, but that's how it goes sometimes (user on here sold it).
    I still hanker after one, but to find one in good nick is difficult. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to go after the one posted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So, this could fit the criteria I'm working towards in other thread. Looking at what I think are specs:
    fuel economy is good, luggage space is good (500l) and with hatchback and folding seats would become very big when required. The extra 200 on tax wouldn't bother me as it's a small addition to my motoring costs (which are fuel dominated at the moment).
    0-60 and hp are decent (about same as what I'm driving now, and the diesel torque might even make that feel a bit better when pulling low in revs).

I think they're chain driven at that generation (pre 2008). So what's to look at if buying this? At the bangernomics price range, do folk transact cash mostly? (I've bought last 2 cars for cash (bank-notes), but was 1200 and 900 level; small dealers).

If (big if) I ran it a year it would basically pay for itself in fuel savings versus what I'm doing today

Those suffer with injector failure I believe.
    My friend had an st tdci and it had a lovely kick up the arse effect when he'd floor it and was a very nice cruiser.
    You also don't get the dpf in that so personally I'd buy it.

MWQ2_N2_Iy_NWZh_YTc2_MDRi_OTdh_Yjdk_Zj_Bk_ZGFi_Mz_Nj_MTJH_7_D9.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is250-2006-new-nct-low-mileage/16262500

2006 lexus is250
    manual box
    Looks clean (mentions may need a valet to be perfect?)
    test till april 18 (test back dated and only recently done so ?? there)
    79k miles according to the add.
    3 owner according to CarsIreland
    no recent change of owners either.
    Asking €1650

Those headlights are very cloudy to me for something that's only done 79k in 11 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Those headlights are very cloudy to me for something that's only done 79k in 11 years.

11 years is eleven years.

Does driving make it more cloudy?

wonski wrote: »
    11 years is eleven years.

Does driving make it more cloudy?

Well doing alot of night time driving would normally mean prolonged heat from the headlights which would cause the cloudiness in the lenses. 79k over 11 years would suggest the car wasn't driven that much which kind of goes against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Well doing alot of night time driving would normally mean prolonged heat from the headlights which would cause the cloudiness in the lenses. 79k over 11 years would suggest the car wasn't driven that much which kind of goes against that.

Not saying you are not right, but aren't you overthinking this? Night driving, day driving with lights on, being parked for a while in the sun maybe?

There are better ways to confirm the actual mileage than this. They could have the headlights on at all times for all we know.

Steering wheels, seats, gear knobs - the headlight is the last item I would think of when verifying the original mileage. It could have been replaced, too.

• Advertisement

Let us know if you do buy it :cool:

And just FYI - the last 3 cars/vehicles I've bought have all been with cash. 1800, 3500 and 1550.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

79k and 11 years of irish climate is more than enough to make headlights go cloudy. Even low mileage cars can have cloudy headlights. It really is no way to judge a car's mileage.

wonski wrote: »
    Not saying you are not right, but aren't you overthinking this? Night driving, day driving with lights on, being parked for a while in the sun maybe?

There are better ways to confirm the actual mileage than this. They could have the headlights on at all times for all we know.

Steering wheels, seats, gear knobs - the headlight is the last item I would think of when verifying the original mileage. It could have been replaced, too.
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    79k and 11 years of irish climate is more than enough to make headlights go cloudy. Even low mileage cars can have cloudy headlights. It really is no way to judge a car's mileage.

I'm not confirming anything from photos. I'm just say it's something that jumped out at me and would make me extra cautious about and dig deeper into.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

From what I've seen most Lexus of that era, IS and GS have cloudy headlights. The top part of the light is facing upwards, towards the sun, not conducive to cloudiness avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MWQ2_N2_Iy_NWZh_YTc2_MDRi_OTdh_Yjdk_Zj_Bk_ZGFi_Mz_Nj_MTJH_7_D9.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is250-2006-new-nct-low-mileage/16262500

2006 lexus is250
    manual box
    Looks clean (mentions may need a valet to be perfect?)
    test till april 18 (test back dated and only recently done so ?? there)
    79k miles according to the add.
    3 owner according to CarsIreland
    no recent change of owners either.
    Asking €1650

That car had 78000 miles on it 3.5 years ago when it was unsaleable in the trade.

http://carstock.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Copy-of-Car-list-for-tender-8.xls

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That car had 78000 miles on it 3.5 years ago when it was unsaleable in the trade.

http://carstock.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Copy-of-Car-list-for-tender-8.xls

58530216.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does it have the Mark Levinson though?

Back bumper will be wrecked from ford focus' nudging it trying to get a better look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Back bumper will be wrecked from ford focus' nudging it trying to get a better look

You can offset that by not stopping every two minutes for a picture though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement