Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

As much as I dislike the disaster of the insurance industry in Ireland. Being forced onto 3rd Party Fire & Theft for an older car isn't a problem. A colleague recommends that any car under €10k should only have 3rd Party Fire & Theft and I agree with him.

Even more so when we're dealing with a Bangernomic. It's a waste of money to get comprehensive on a car that is worth max €2k.

I don't disagree with you but it would be nice to have the option

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    No the reason why is because they are about the only 2 that will give qoutes for older cars. You have f€ck all room to shop around and I know with liberty they will only offer third party fire & theft on older cars. One of the first questions some insurance companies are asking now is "is the car under 15 years old?"

I also had an older car insured and had very limited room for shopping around and I haven't been 21 for a long time either and have been driving for 10+ years but it's not your age that matters it's the age of the car that is the problem.

Mine was around €300 more expensive on the older car compared to a newer model and that is without shopping around.

All insurance companies refusing to quote cars older than 15 years screams collusion to me. They have to be communicating behind the scenes agreeing that nobody will quote for older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Alfanomics time and this one seems like a good one, needs a regulator at the back which is a very common issue with these.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-sport/16238003

Next another one which seems clean but no interior pics nct till january

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alpha-romeo-156-t-spark/16415683

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

jcon1913 wrote: »
    All insurance companies refusing to quote cars older than 15 years screams collusion to me. They have to be communicating behind the scenes agreeing that nobody will quote for older cars.

Not necessarily, one does it, another follows suit, then another, everyone is complaining about it, they know they are all doing the same thing, we know it, everyone knows it, its now known its the de fact policy, it is now a reality.
    Maybe it did start with a conversation between a few friendly employees high up in different companies, maybe it didnt, but if it was off work time, it can be passed off as shop talk, even if the whole thing kicked off the week afterwards.
    Id like to see the stats, but my understanding from what Ive read in a thread somewhere on boards was that despite claims to the contrary, a defective condition was not the main factor in accidents where a car involved was older, so I cant see what the insurance industry's interest in this is other than maintaining higher prices, I can see the interest to push newer cars for interests of the Govt or those close to them, taxes & sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

1874 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, one does it, another follows suit, then another, everyone is complaining about it, they know they are all doing the same thing, we know it, everyone knows it, its now known its the de fact policy, it is now a reality.
    Maybe it did start with a conversation between a few friendly employees high up in different companies, maybe it didnt, but if it was off work time, it can be passed off as shop talk, even if the whole thing kicked off the week afterwards.
    Id like to see the stats, but my understanding from what Ive read in a thread somewhere on boards was that despite claims to the contrary, a defective condition was not the main factor in accidents where a car involved was older, so I cant see what the insurance industry's interest in this is other than maintaining higher prices, I can see the interest to push newer cars for interests of the Govt or those close to them, taxes & sales.

Fair points. I would like to know many companies that sell motor insurance actually refuse to cover cars over 15 years old. There is a post with a list of all motor insurance companies which is updated, on the insurance forum. I cant link it here because Im on my mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

In the market for a new runabout.

Any thoughts on some of the diesel SUVs which are now in bangernomics reach? Some serious value to be had, imo.

I have owned a petrol Honda CRV and it was faultless, if thirsty.
    And thoughts on the 2.2 diesel ones? Timing chain issues?

2006 CRV, 166k miles, NCT May 18, €1750
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-crv-2-2d/15757028

As an alternative, I have owned the newer model Sportage and it is very nice.
    old ones decent?

4wd Kia Sportage 2007, 240k km, NCT Oct 18, €1999.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-kia-sportage/16156741

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No the reason why is because they are about the only 2 that will give qoutes for older cars. You have f€ck all room to shop around and I know with liberty they will only offer third party fire & theft on older cars. One of the first questions some insurance companies are asking now is "is the car under 15 years old?"

I also had an older car insured and had very limited room for shopping around and I haven't been 21 for a long time either and have been driving for 10+ years but it's not your age that matters it's the age of the car that is the problem.

Mine was around €300 more expensive on the older car compared to a newer model and that is without shopping around.

Mine were both (along with others in the same age group of car) insured comprehensively. I got no pushback.
    166man wrote: »
    I think you are incorrect. Have my 2001 car insured comprehensively :)
    +1
    Complete honest pricing, no - I do suspect some collusion (like the documentary for instance) - but I don't think it's a stonewall ban either for 15 year old cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

And we will never know these cars to get a rough index

3 cars at home, all daily drivers, 2 of which are fully comp. Mine is tpft and is the newest of the 3 being a very early 2000.

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

jcon1913 wrote: »

Offices were raided a few weeks back to seek evidence of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

RE Insurance, and possibility for collusion: You certainly can have price fixing or collusion without direct communication. It can be tacit, and based on signals visible in the market.
    It's harder to do, doesn't work as well (from a seller's perspective), but certainly can occur and doesn't have to leave documentary evidence.
    https://www.tutor2u.net/economics/reference/oligopoly-tacit-collusion
    algorithmic commerce may help cartels strengthen
    https://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/when-bots-collude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

aw wrote: »
    In the market for a new runabout.

Any thoughts on some of the diesel SUVs which are now in bangernomics reach? Some serious value to be had, imo.

I have owned a petrol Honda CRV and it was faultless, if thirsty.
    And thoughts on the 2.2 diesel ones? Timing chain issues?

2006 CRV, 166k miles, NCT May 18, €1750
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-crv-2-2d/15757028

As an alternative, I have owned the newer model Sportage and it is very nice.
    old ones decent?

4wd Kia Sportage 2007, 240k km, NCT Oct 18, €1999.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-kia-sportage/16156741

Just so you know the guy selling the CRV is a part time dealer who has a number of other cars for sale. Nothing overly wrong with that but just be aware that you will be dealing with a shrewd seller rather than a novice owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-sports-coupe-c200-2001-auto-50k-mile-600/16593679

ZTk3NzM3MGQ2MDMwMDRjYzI2MzgzZmQzMWMzZTI0MTDjc6D8hNS5P_A8gwB4AS6waHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MTk1NzI4MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Not exactly a fantastic car, but 50k miles and a new NCT until July 2018 for €600 ono seems alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^ Some rust bubbling out around the rear wheel arch as per photo #6. Notwithstanding very good find for the money given the low mileage alsosmile.png

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo/16443010

Clean looking Mondeo. You might struggle to find as fresh a 2007 car for the money. Tested until September 2018 and relatively low mileage @ 157k km. Never knew that model came with a 1.6 litre petrol engine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I had to check it out, the Mondeo is down on motorcheck as a 1.8

It doesn't, smallest would have been 1.8 litre which is what the motor tax website confirms. Annual tax for pre 2008 1.8 is €636 too not €610 as per the advert. For a guy selling 6 other cars you would think he would at least have some correct basic information in the advert.

Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought him back! I was pretty certain that model didn't come with a 1.6 alright and I know the motor tax is a bit less if under 1600 cc anyway.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Annual tax for pre 2008 1.8 is €636 too not €610 as per the advert. For a guy selling 6 other cars you would think he would at least have some correct basic information in the advert.

I thought in fact Donedeal autofills out that section now for some time when you populate the registration number although a while since I advertised a car there. Guessing the seller didn't enter the reg and just made up his own figures.eek.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

^^ Some rust bubbling out around the rear wheel arch as per photo #6. Notwithstanding very good find for the money given the low mileage alsosmile.png

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo/16443010

Clean looking Mondeo. You might struggle to find as fresh a 2007 car for the money. Tested until September 2018 and relatively low mileage @ 157k km. Never knew that model came with a 1.6 litre petrol engine though.

It is indeed not a 1.6, 1.8 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

I had one of those Mondeos. 1.8 TDCi platinum early 2007. It was a fantastic car.

The diesel engines in that model Mondeo were 2.0 and 2.2 litre. 1.8 TDCi only appeared in the newer model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

bazz26 wrote: »
    The diesel engines in that model Mondeo were 2.0 and 2.2 litre. 1.8 TDCi only appeared in the newer model.

You are correct, Just checked my old insurance cert. It was 2.0L. Still a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I think my 159 meets the criteria. Tax is out at the end of September, but NCT until next May. Just serviced. Wants for nothing - upgraded clutch and suspension. Timing belt and water pump good for another 12 months/15,000 miles. DPF removed and remapped to 230bhp/375lbs of torque. Doesn't want for power. EUR 1900 - looking to move it on to make room for a people mover : -(

http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo/159/2006-alfa-romeo-159/13721684

Sold my Alfa Romeo thanks to this thread. Such a bit of messing via DoneDeal and Adverts. There's definitely a gap in the used car market for www.bestprice.ie (which I see is under construction...)

Well wear to the new owner. Hopefully my break from Alfa ownership is temporary....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

hi guys what do youse think of this one, i need one of these in the very near future, seller claims the milage is 115k, says he does a lot of wheelchair work, thanks

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/wheelchair-saccessable-fiat-doblo/16322616

What insurers have you had success with?
    Worthwhile to know, so folk can maybe start ringing for quotes with insurers that will handle older vehicles.
    FWIW, I'm on an employer/company policy now (wrapping Allianz) who seem happy with any age car... but not much help to anyone else.
    Previously I also found Axa to be not very bothered by vehicle age (and I insured a 00D car with them for first time in 2015, so there and thereabouts)
    twice years back axa refused to insure me on a 99 toyota previa 2.0then 18 months later on a suzuki vitara 2.0 auto, both desiel

I recently got a quote of 950 quid from 123 for a 2006 1.1 litre car, over 20 years experience, full licence , never any claims. I do recall been asked when I purchased the car which I replied earlier this year, that's a ridiculous quote. I was only testing the water.
    i had trouble with them also, i had a car insured with them, bought another and let it lie until i had used up the tax on the one i had, they tried to say i was driving it without insurance, they got shut of me via that door, btw i was almost 60 at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

flutered wrote: »
    hi guys what do youse think of this one, i need one of these in the very near future, seller claims the milage is 115k, says he does a lot of wheelchair work, thanks

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/wheelchair-saccessable-fiat-doblo/16322616

Doesn't look like you'd fit a power chair in the back of that. Small manual chair is all it will hold.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Doesn't look like you'd fit a power chair in the back of that. Small manual chair is all it will hold.

iwent and looked at this motor, i had a mechanic with me, the chair would fit with two of the back seats up, slightly underpowered, still it drives ok for me, it need a few little bits and bobs, it will recieve a service before i put it on the road even tho the owner says the local garage has serviced it recently, drove it homer more than 60 miles with no blow from anywhere and no lights came on the dash and the water temp stayed static, btw i got it for well under asking, so when its ready for road it will not come near the asking price, i used the op's statement that the chair would not fit with the read seats down, plus the few little niggles teh mechanic found, thanks billybob, every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

flutered wrote: »
    iwent and looked at this motor, i had a mechanic with me, the chair would fit with two of the back seats up, slightly underpowered, still it drives ok for me, it need a few little bits and bobs, it will recieve a service before i put it on the road even tho the owner says the local garage has serviced it recently, drove it homer more than 60 miles with no blow from anywhere and no lights came on the dash and the water temp stayed static, btw i got it for well under asking, so when its ready for road it will not come near the asking price, i used the op's statement that the chair would not fit with the read seats down, plus the few little niggles teh mechanic found, thanks billybob, every little helps

Is she the non turbo diesel?! I think doblos are a well thought out little bus, the old and slow non turbo engine in that is absolutely great. I've given mine a tonne of work over the years and it's been a little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Sold my Alfa Romeo thanks to this thread. Such a bit of messing via DoneDeal and Adverts. There's definitely a gap in the used car market for www.bestprice.ie (which I see is under construction...)

Well wear to the new owner. Hopefully my break from Alfa ownership is temporary....

Congrats on your new website - even though the name reeks of tyre kickers and best price merchants. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I have bought a few good cars based on advice in this thread over the years

Hopefully this will do someone well

My well looked after, reliable and everything working and maintained on 06 Alfa 147 is for sale
    NCT'd last week, flew through with new front tyres and new rear hand brake cables (one had corroded so replaced both), taxed until December

The interior is immaculate

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-alfa-147-nct-10-18-fsh-low-mile-tbelt-done/16615501

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement