Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I have bought a few good cars based on advice in this thread over the years

Hopefully this will do someone well

My well looked after, reliable and everything working and maintained on 06 Alfa 147 is for sale
    NCT'd last week, flew through with new front tyres and new rear hand brake cables (one had corroded so replaced both), taxed until December

The interior is immaculate

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...-done/16615501

Your link doesn't appear to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Gravelly wrote: »
    Your link doesn't appear to be working.

Thanks for pointing that out

Edited now, should be working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks for pointing that out

Edited now, should be working

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nope

Works fine here m8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Vandriver has posted the link.

vandriver wrote: »
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nope

I have edited the original post again so hopefully it will work for you now, weird though as it was working for me earlier

Thanks vandriver for posting a working one too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/starlet-toyota-1995-automatic/16646955

ZDc4YjdhZWI0NzlmMTVhMWRkMTgyYmM4ZTUyZjczMWNLNGa3eLsvRs2Wmvt0OMe2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MjQ5NjY3N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Tidy Jap Starlet with tax to 4/18 and NCT until March 2018 according to their site. €495 - would make a nice little commuter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Screenshot-2013-12-05-at-17.43.40.png

Unfortunately all the insurers picture something like this when they hear the words: Japanese starlet

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Hi All. Long time lurker on this tread and have been "bangernomicing" for many years. My last purchase back in Oct 2014 was a 01 1.6 Avensis costing €900 which has finally died thanks to its gearbox disintegrating but it owed me nothing and cost virtually nothing to maintain. So onto the next one and looking for help.

I prefer petrol, especially at my price range of circa €1200-1500 max. I'm looking for another family saloon and not worried about top speed or acceleration but feel like upgrading to a Honda Accord 2.0 (Can handle the tax but just worried about fuel consumption!) I've viewed and driven two so far with no joy (1 x shed inside and 1 x clutch going).

I'm limited travel wise as only have my other half's car when she isn't working (Galway county based) so a bit of a long shot, if anyone knows one of the cars on Donedeal using the search below please let me know. (You can scratch the Loughrea and 2 x Tipperary ones!). It would save on wild goose chases. Ideally with a decent NCT from 2003 up but ideally 2004 min.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Honda/Accord?sort=publishdate%20desc&transmission=Manual&fuelType=Petrol&year_from=2003&price_to=1800&engine_from=2.0

Otherwise it will be another Avensis 1.6/1.8, Mondeo 1.8 or Mazda 6 1.8 :(!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The purple 04 one in Mayo looks good. Loads of NCT and well under budget.

The purple 04 one in Mayo looks good. Loads of NCT and well under budget.

Its a contender but still a 2 hour drive from me to view! Prob quicker to get to Dublin and then have more options to view. If only it wasn't all Ireland weekend as looking like Sunday when I can travel further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

kqcregg wrote: »
    Its a contender but still a 2 hour drive from me to view! Prob quicker to get to Dublin and then have more options to view. If only it wasn't all Ireland weekend as looking like Sunday when I can travel further afield.

The blue 2006 accord is the one id view. Nice colour, long nct and tax, a claimed full service history and it looks to be in good condition. If it checked out you could make an offer and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Considering a bangernomics volvo v70 (take your pick, plenty on DD under 2k). Preferably the 2L petrol around 2005 - Anything to look out for with these? Any better alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

oknepop wrote: »
    Considering a bangernomics volvo v70 (take your pick, plenty on DD under 2k). Preferably the 2L petrol around 2005 - Anything to look out for with these? Any better alternatives?
    AN XC70 for €1150...…These were €58,500 new !
    (Still,it would probably bankrupt you with the first repair!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any big issues with these

Stretching timing chains being the biggest. Electrics can be flakey on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

jharr100 wrote: »

Would these be a bit on the lethargic and uneconomical side with that 1.8 engine?....not that it would matter to most where the motor tax is the bottom line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are supercharged which makes them a bit more bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Timing chain replaced last year says the ad so I'd not worry (it should be noted chains have tensioners so actually replacing a chain seems like overkill). Yes electrics can be unreliable, Mercedes went through a bad patch as they cut costs to match Lexus prices in the States before realising that was a poor policy.

The Sensotronic braking system is an expensive replacement and a known weakness - they no longer do the job free for cars over 10 years of age. Brake pipe corrosion another weak point on pre-face lift cars (2006)

I have bought a few good cars based on advice in this thread over the years

Hopefully this will do someone well

My well looked after, reliable and everything working and maintained on 06 Alfa 147 is for sale
    NCT'd last week, flew through with new front tyres and new rear hand brake cables (one had corroded so replaced both), taxed until December

The interior is immaculate

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-alfa-147-nct-10-18-fsh-low-mile-tbelt-done/16615501

Hmm, things seem to have slowed down since the last time I sold a car, the phone is quiet, sign of a good economy I suppose?

Anyway dropped the price to €1500, cracking value for a great little car so if you know of anyone interested, if it doesn't go in the next couple of weeks I will probably hang onto it until it goes through the NCT again this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The blue 2006 accord is the one id view. Nice colour, long nct and tax, a claimed full service history and it looks to be in good condition. If it checked out you could make an offer and see how you get on.

My mother just sold that one.
    Dad bought it as ex-demo from Des Darcy in Swords in Sept 06, been broadly trouble-free all its life. Slightly squeaky clutch pedal bit no problems :)

Edit, if it stayed in the trade, it should show two owners after the original dealer registration, second was Mam after Dad died a few years back.
    Mostly used for ferrying golf clubs :)
    Traded against a newer Civic :)

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    pron wrote: »
    My mother just sold that one.
    Dad bought it as ex-demo from Des Darcy in Swords in Sept 06, been broadly trouble-free all its life. Slightly squeaky clutch pedal bit no problems :)

Edit, if it stayed in the trade, it should show two owners after the original dealer registration, second was Mam after Dad died a few years back.
    Mostly used for ferrying golf clubs :)
    Traded against a newer Civic :)

Couldn't get to them during business hours unfortunately.

Thanks for the comments. Got sorted on Saturday evening. Went for the 2005 Silver Accord in Dublin from the list. Its the Sport spec with an immaculate half leather interior and carbon fibre trim. 12 months NCT, over 4 months tax worth around €260, 4 new Bridestone tyres and brakes just done for NCT. €1,580 so happy out.

2005 Accord.png

Drove it home to Galway yesterday and it was faultless. A serious upgrade from the 01 Avensis :D. Long live Bangernomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hmm, things seem to have slowed down since the last time I sold a car, the phone is quiet, sign of a good economy I suppose?

Anyway dropped the price to €1500, cracking value for a great little car so if you know of anyone interested, if it doesn't go in the next couple of weeks I will probably hang onto it until it goes through the NCT again this time next year

Don't get me wrong, it has a nice wedge of tax and test and you've clearly taken quite good care of it, but I can barely see that car making half of your asking price tbh. It's just the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Don't get me wrong, it has a nice wedge of tax and test and you've clearly taken quite good care of it, but I can barely see that car making half of your asking price tbh. It's just the way things are.

I was gonna reply earlier along similar lines, it's an Alfa and the vast majority of Irish buyers wouldn't touch one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-avant-1-9-tdi-130bhp-awx/16442451

MTI1MDQwMzZmMDA1MTAxNjEwMDJiNjBlMzdkODE3MWK92j1YDlUBccCYYBCwTJfIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MDQwNjA5OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Honest looking A4 with the ultra-reliable AWX engine
    Would be good value at a grand in my opinion

• Advertisement

I was gonna reply earlier along similar lines, it's an Alfa and the vast majority of Irish buyers wouldn't touch one. :(

I get what you are saying, this is my 3rd Alfa and I know the general opinion of them

I generally think that if something is priced well for what it is then it will sell, this is priced well in comparison to other 147's for sale but there is a lot of choice in the small hatchback segment and it requires a buyer who is specifically looking for an Alfa I guess

The last one I sold was a bit iffy electrically (which I was up front about) and older and went for near the current asking price

Times change I guess and if I end up keeping it that will be fine, it is a great little car, I just had my eye on a Brera and have my darling wifes backing to buy one :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement