Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

NjVlMmU0MjJlOWI1Zjc4NWI1Mzg0N2ZlYmM0MWEwYTVt0K2doCD1WLWzRuUu0FtNaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MDQ1NDE2MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

2005 Fiat Panda with NCT for €500. A bit rough but once nothing is obviously wrong with it it seems like decent value.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-2005-1-2-petrol/16446959

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Is she the non turbo diesel?! I think doblos are a well thought out little bus, the old and slow non turbo engine in that is absolutely great. I've given mine a tonne of work over the years and it's been a little gem.
    non turbo, luckily i had the sense to change the tb, it had a recent change, BUT an insert was left out and the tensioners but to their limit to get it working, unfortunatly the belt was rubbing on the casing, a few hundred miles and the engine was a gonner, it came in well under bangenomics limit, tomorrow is its first day under my insurance, talking of which today i got my quote and a near hearth attack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

2005 Fiat Panda with NCT for €500. A bit rough but once nothing is obviously wrong with it it seems like decent value.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-2005-1-2-petrol/16446959

Tatty seats and rough bodywork should not be of concern to anyone at this price level and if they are then they should really be upping their budget. The one thing I will say though is that the few cars that were advertised as needing a service or the seller mentioned could do with one when I rang and that I did go to see in my lifetime were always running dog rough...It was obvious that they needed more than a routine service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Tatty seats and rough bodywork should not be of concern to anyone at this price level and if they are then they should really be upping their budget. The one thing I will say though is that the few cars that were advertised as needing a service or the seller mentioned could do with one when I rang and that I did go to see in my lifetime were always running dog rough...It was obvious that they needed more than a routine service.

Add to that less than two months NCT and you have a recipe for €500 being flushed down the toilet. Not saying this is the case, but not knowing when it was last serviced sounds like it is likely scenario.

Worth €100 max to me. Scrapyard territory really with such a short test and the seller being open to offers on a cheap car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

**deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 36,085 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Moneymaker wrote: »

Jaysus, for that money....it wont be there for long

Wouldnt have killed him to throw a bucket of suds over it though....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Mini850 wrote: »
    Jaysus, for that money....it wont be there for long

Wouldnt have killed him to throw a bucket of suds over it though....

Potential money pit though no?

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Potential money pit though no?

Mentions nothing about a service history.

As they say, you need to get the car in front of you to really tell.

But for 600 snotts...........if I had the room i'd go view it with the cash in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A cheap BMW can potentially be the most expensive car you will ever own. While €600 is not alot for a car it could also easily be €600 flushed down the lav. Dealer must have got it for nothing as a trade-in if they can sell it for close to that figure and make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    A cheap BMW can potentially be the most expensive car you will ever own. While €600 is not alot for a car it could also easily be €600 flushed down the lav. Dealer must have got it for nothing as a trade-in if they can sell it for close to that figure and make a profit.

I have seen both cheap BMW and expensive BMW that would be equally money pits. There really isn't a rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mentions nothing about a service history.

As they say, you need to get the car in front of you to really tell.

But for 600 snotts...........if I had the room i'd go view it with the cash in my pocket.

for €600 you can have my 2004 320Ci

There is no rule with any car but in my opinion I'd see the risk of losing that €600 as being pretty high. Imo it's the same as putting the €600 on a horse in the Grand National.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is no rule with any car but in my opinion I'd see the risk of losing that €600 as being pretty high. Imo it's the same as putting the €600 on a horse in the Grand National.

But sure worst comes to worst case you break it and flog the parts? @€;600 the most I could see being lost on the car would be €150-€200.

Sure you'd lose nearly €600 a month on a brand new 520d BMW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

166man wrote: »
    But sure worst comes to worst case you break it and flog the parts? @€;600 the most I could see being lost on the car would be €150-€200.

Most people buy a car with an intention to drive it, not to leave it in a garden and strip out to meet the demand of adverts parts department.

I get your point. In the right hands it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

wonski wrote: »
    Most people buy a car with an intention to drive it, not to leave it in a garden and strip out to meet the demand of adverts parts department.

I get your point. In the right hands it could work.

I agree - if you have the space/time then fair enough. I wouldn't have the space myself but I just wouldn't buy an e46 to begin with.

166man wrote: »

Well I'd get a bit more enjoyment from my €600 on a new 5 Series for a month than I would from potentially transforming my garden into a breaker's yard. I'm far from being against bangernomics but there is a very thin line between finding a gem at a knock down price and spending good money on something with a high risk of being bad.

Just my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I don't really see the appeal, it's a heavy car with the worst engine, I think 118bhp, with an automatic transmission and high mileage (reasonable for year though).

What id want to see is evidence of a suspension and cooling system refresh since it's hit 100k, if it hasn't been done, those jobs are 1k each & absolutely definitely need to be done.

It's on the surface cheap motoring but it isn't if it only lasts a month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to presume that this is almost arousing for some regulars here

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-lxi-1994-champagne-nct-08-2018/16705235

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

They have the 5w 30 lube out already in anticipation ^

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm going to presume that this is almost arousing for some regulars here

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-lxi-1994-champagne-nct-08-2018/16705235

What a miserable place to have to sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I had a 93 corolla many many years which was given to me for free.
    By far the most reliable car I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

What a miserable place to have to sit.

Maybe by todays standards but back then it was the best car in it's class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This cars were ubiquitous, absolutely everywhere.
    With models appealing across the classes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

My own advert.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-nct-and-tax/16720502
    Saab 93, 2002, NCT and Tax to end Nov.

Does that count as bangernomics given it has almost 4 months of NCT, even though it has issues needing attention? I've tried to be open on those in the advert, however I was driving the car for daily commute with just those issues even this week. (Under 2k, check!, NCT, check!, driving myself, check!). (Apologies it's not washed!)

I'm flexible on price
    ZTRkYmUzYjJlMmM2YWU2YjBkOTY3MGJiOTNiYTQxMDFcxpizupnNR7TxrxK8ExPRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MzI2MzYzNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Maybe by todays standards but back then it was the best car in it's class.

In the same way that the current Corolla is

for €600 you can have my 2004 320Ci

If i had the room....... ha ha

Is it taxed and NCT'd?? :D

Whats crazy is that in 5 years time, everyone will want one, just like the E30 and E36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If i had the room....... ha ha

Is it taxed and NCT'd?? :D

Whats crazy is that in 5 years time, everyone will want one, just like the E30 and E36

no tax and the nct is out a month. drives fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement