Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

My main focus was the tyre..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Triangles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Everyone has found something for himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Grand car there for someone.
    Those mark4 golfs go on for ever. We've had 3 in the family, not one of them below 250k miles now and all running grand.
    A lot to be said for the earlier nonPD engines but it all went downhill when the 1.9 was replaced by the 2.0 in the mark 5 golfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

ELM327 wrote: »
    Grand car there for someone.
    Those mark4 golfs go on for ever. We've had 3 in the family, not one of them below 250k miles now and all running grand.
    A lot to be said for the earlier nonPD engines but it all went downhill when the 1.9 was replaced by the 2.0 in the mark 5 golfs.

What do you mean when you say non-PD? How did you find the mk4 GTi compared to the TDI/GTTDi?

JKerova1 wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say non-PD? How did you find the mk4 GTi compared to the TDI/GTTDi?

I've never driven a GTI but the 130bhp and 150bhp versions of the tdi golfs are very torquey and quick acceleration.

PD engines were the last of the non commonrail diesels, the ones immediately preceding them were less refined but more reliable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Can someone please come up with a few reasons why I shouldn't buy this car?
    The only ones I can think of is that it's not practical, the wife will leave me and I don't need it. On the plus side it could be insured as a classic and the wife will leave me :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/16753159
    ALFA GTV / NCT 2018

The only ones I can think of is that it's not practical, the wife will leave me and I don't need it. On the plus side it could be insured as a classic and the wife will leave me :)

ALFA GTV / NCT 2018
    Who needs a a wife, it's an Alfa.
    You don't need a wife but you do need an Alfa! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

ALFA GTV / NCT 2018

Love the GTV.
    I was working in an Alfa garage when it was launched. I accidentally scuffed the front right bumper parking it up at night :-/

everlast75 wrote: »
    Love the GTV.
    I was working in an Alfa garage when it was launched. I accidentally scuffed the front right bumper parking it up at night :-/

Are they as horribly unreliable as the badge suggests or do you know what I should watch out for. I'll obviously get a mechanic to look it over for me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Are they as horribly unreliable as the badge suggests or do you know what I should watch out for. I'll obviously get a mechanic to look it over for me

It would be more of a weekend car IMHO.

I wouldn't buy it as a daily commute, but I would of course recommend a complete check over by your mechanic.

PS - they aren't the original wheels IIRC

everlast75 wrote: »
    It would be more of a weekend car IMHO.

I wouldn't buy it as a daily commute, but I would of course recommend a complete check over by your mechanic.

PS - they aren't the original wheels IIRC

Perfect, thanks, this would only be a weekend driver as I have a company car

Top Dog wrote: »
    Looks like a nice car. Over 6 months tax so effectively a 1300 car with test to February. If it wasn't for the fuel consumption I'd be interested myself.

Saab 95 Aero Hot 2.3 Turbo Petrol 260BHP Automatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-aero-hot-2-3-turbo-petrol-260bhp-automatic/16728324

Been there, passed on it.

Bodywork: full of poor chip repairs, two or three dents. Some corrosion on the edges of the doors and wheel arches. Paint on the handles flakes away. Crack on the rear bumper.

Tyres: nice Continentals Sport Contact, but to my best knowledge in wrong size (should be 225/45/17, there are 235/45/17 - but Aero Hot might have had wider tyres). Full of thread, but 5 years old already. Normal wear & tear of the alloys.

Electrics: the drivers seat regulation did not work in one of the directions, A/C fan makes a high pitched sound that would scare the dogs in proximity. There is a self-leveling light level warning on the dash. The boot release does not work from the outside - broken switch.

Mechanically: did not see a service for a few years (but did not do huge miles anyway), brakes engage VEEERY late - to the point I almost crashed it on the test drive. Drive-train makes a rattle, which gets louder increases with the load (not the speed!) of the engine - hence it probably isn't a pulley or anything on the belt. Did not sound like a crank bearing as well. Might be a flex plate that connects to the torque converter. Changing the gear from P to R is a bit harsh.

Apart from that, it looked fresh and clean inside, changes gears very smoothly and accelerates like crazy. It was a very nice place to be in and drive, but switched on a few warnings lights to many for me to jump into €1000 tax/year vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Like most Alfas once all the belts and bits have been changed on time and the oil is kept topped up they are grand

At that age there will probably be a few electrical gremlins or window/wiper motors that could do with replacing but there wouldn't be too much to go wrong with it

My concern would be the fact it has been lowered, they wouldn't be the most comfortable or forgiving cars on normal suspension and are low enough already but if there is documentation that it has been done properly then it might be alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Like most Alfas once all the belts and bits have been changed on time and the oil is kept topped up they are grand

At that age there will probably be a few electrical gremlins or window/wiper motors that could do with replacing but there wouldn't be too much to go wrong with it

My concern would be the fact it has been lowered, they wouldn't be the most comfortable or forgiving cars on normal suspension and are low enough already but if there is documentation that it has been done properly then it might be alright

But sure anything with every part changed is going to be grand. If reliability is a major concern this isn't the car for the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

2008 v50 @1850 asking on for 19 days low ball him €1200 and use the balance to tax it for the year

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-volvo-v50-estate-1-8-petrol-nct-2-18/16459915

MWM5MWE2NjJlYWQyNjk1NTUzYjZkYjFiMjYwMDY1NjQ9yWHr0fj5K4YvPTkB06yUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MDU5NDI1Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Bigus wrote: »
    2008 v50 @1850 asking on for 19 days low ball him €1200 and use the balance to tax it for the year

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-volvo-v50-estate-1-8-petrol-nct-2-18/16459915

Nice car it seems, but I'd be very surprised if he'd react well to such a low-ball offer. Not saying there isn't money to be negotiated off... but I'd say he's a higher back-stop figure in his head (maybe be brazen and start with 1200 and hope to land on 1500 for a deal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

grogi wrote: »

Bodywork: full of poor chip repairs, two or three dents. Some corrosion on the edges of the doors and wheel arches. Paint on the handles flakes away. Crack on the rear bumper.

Tyres: nice Continentals Sport Contact, but to my best knowledge in wrong size (should be 225/45/17, there are 235/45/17 - but Aero Hot might have had wider tyres). Full of thread, but 5 years old already. Normal wear & tear of the alloys.

Electrics: the drivers seat regulation did not work in one of the directions, A/C fan makes a high pitched sound that would scare the dogs in proximity. There is a self-leveling light level warning on the dash. The boot release does not work from the outside - broken switch.

Mechanically: did not see a service for a few years (but did not do huge miles anyway), brakes engage VEEERY late - to the point I almost crashed it on the test drive. Drive-train makes a rattle, which gets louder increases with the load (not the speed!) of the engine - hence it probably isn't a pulley or anything on the belt. Did not sound like a crank bearing as well. Might be a flex plate that connects to the torque converter. Changing the gear from P to R is a bit harsh.

Apart from that, it looked fresh and clean inside, changes gears very smoothly and accelerates like crazy. It was a very nice place to be in and drive, but switched on a few warnings lights to many for me to jump into €1000 tax/year vehicle.

Hi Grogi I was interested in this car above and was wondering in your opinion what's it worth because the seller is adamant that the price is €1800 and not a cent less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

+1
    With a lowered suspension it's only going to eat steering and suspension parts (bushes etc) even faster, not to mention be much less comfortable, also indicates it may have been owned by more of a boy racer than an enthusiast, as it looks crazily low (to me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Nice car it seems, but I'd be very surprised if he'd react well to such a low-ball offer. Not saying there isn't money to be negotiated off... but I'd say he's a higher back-stop figure in his head (maybe be brazen and start with 1200 and hope to land on 1500 for a deal)

1.8 petrol in Galway ,I bet he'll gladly take an offer, cheap 08 safe family barge either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

ALFA GTV / NCT 2018
    Looks like its on Audi TT alloys

tt3.jpg

Also looks a good bit lower on the rear compared to the front so unless its coilovers which can be adusted, then I'd be wary of the lowering.
    grogi wrote: »
    Sorry to hear such a dissapointing report on it :(
    Bigus wrote: »

Is 38mpg a realistic figure for these? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Top Dog wrote: »

Is 38mpg a realistic figure for these? :confused:

No. it's probably the 1.8 Flexifuel too which is a bit heavier on juice than a regular 1.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No. it's probably the 1.8 Flexifuel too which is a bit heavier on juice than a regular 1.8

Less than 38mpg, thats pretty poor, what was flexfuel about? emissions? (edit, I checked) ethanol mixed fuel, how did that all pan out? is e85 widely available? if not running it are there disadvantages or any generally to these engines, a quick look suggests e85 is harsher on certain engine parts which ultimately may require main dealer attention so is this a bad idea as a purchase for an older car?

I was sat in the back of one of these of around that year, felt very cramped, not that Id be in the back, plus I was not keen on the interior, I like estates and not sure if my advancing years has made me grow on volvos but I like the look of it, shame about the mpg, as much as Id like to up the years, keep not finding reasons (fingers crossed) to change from my pre dpf diesel octavia, I might stay clear of flexfuel engines now myself from reading a little (very), not sure if justified, but I like reliability and low running costs, if time and money were no object, Id have nice but temperamental cars.

1874 wrote: »
    Less than 38mpg, thats pretty poor, what was flexfuel about? emissions? (edit, I checked) ethanol mixed fuel, how did that all pan out? is e85 widely available? if not running it are there disadvantages or any generally to these engines, a quick look suggests e85 is harsher on certain engine parts which ultimately may require main dealer attention so is this a bad idea as a purchase for an older car?

I was sat in the back of one of these of around that year, felt very cramped, not that Id be in the back, plus I was not keen on the interior, I like estates and not sure if my advancing years has made me grow on volvos but I like the look of it, shame about the mpg, as much as Id like to up the years, keep not finding reasons (fingers crossed) to change from my pre dpf diesel octavia, I might stay clear of flexfuel engines now myself from reading a little (very), not sure if justified, but I like reliability and low running costs, if time and money were no object, Id have nice but temperamental cars.

We don't really have e85 anymore, it was a short lived cheap fuel but the tax rules changed.

The disadvantage of the FlexFuel engines is that they get less mpg than the non flex equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

ELM327 wrote: »
    We don't really have e85 anymore, it was a short lived cheap fuel but the tax rules changed.

The disadvantage of the FlexFuel engines is that they get less mpg than the non flex equivalent.

So all the disadvantages of flexfuel with none of the advantages whatever they were but which seem like none, basically all disadvantages?
    I hadn't noticed a mention of e85 in a long time, didn't know it was cheaper, but wasnt looking out in particular for it, price of a fuel being cheaper would be something that could easily change, seems like it was a motoring evolutionary dead end, I did think the lower mpg was only for when used with E85 from reading up. Still Id be more concerned if something is generally reliable mechanically and cheap initially, lower mpg isn't as much a hit as people might think over lower miles, but that might make the cost of tax/engine size more redundant. Car might still be a viable option?

I did think the lower mpg was only for when used with E85 from reading up.

No, the compression ratio is probably a bit different to allow operation on low-octane fuel. That kills efficiency when driving on petrol.

Variable ratio engines are getting into mass production only last year (http://blog.caranddriver.com/variable-compression-ratio-coming-to-new-infiniti-four-cylinder-turbo/)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

So all the disadvantages of flexfuel with none of the advantages whatever they were but which seem like none, basically all disadvantages?
    I hadn't noticed a mention of e85 in a long time, didn't know it was cheaper, but wasnt looking out in particular for it, price of a fuel being cheaper would be something that could easily change, seems like it was a motoring evolutionary dead end, I did think the lower mpg was only for when used with E85 from reading up. Still Id be more concerned if something is generally reliable mechanically and cheap initially, lower mpg isn't as much a hit as people might think over lower miles, but that might make the cost of tax/engine size more redundant. Car might still be a viable option?

http://www.theaa.ie/blog/so-long-ethanol/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement