Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Is 38mpg really bad enough to get worked up about for a petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Are they as horribly unreliable as the badge suggests or do you know what I should watch out for. I'll obviously get a mechanic to look it over for me

Like most Alfas once all the belts and bits have been changed on time and the oil is kept topped up they are grand

At that age there will probably be a few electrical gremlins or window/wiper motors that could do with replacing but there wouldn't be too much to go wrong with it

My concern would be the fact it has been lowered, they wouldn't be the most comfortable or forgiving cars on normal suspension and are low enough already but if there is documentation that it has been done properly then it might be alright

Thanks for that. My wife has decided that it's the most horrible thing she's ever seen and the red leather "looks like a cheap pimps car" so it's a no go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Is 38mpg really bad enough to get worked up about for a petrol?
    If it actually did 38mpg it'd be grand - but from the posts above it won't. ;)

So we'll say 35mpg - thats pretty poor for something sold in the last decade-ish. Our old Mk3 Golf GTI nearly did that with an ancient 8 valve 2.0 petrol motor (averaged 34 when not caning it), so I'd expect a much more modern 1.8 Volvo to be better.

Don't think anyones getting worked up about it - but its not exactly fantastic. And in my case I'd avoid as it wouldn't suit my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Volvo S40/V50 is a good bit heavier than a Mk3 Golf though. 1.8 engine in the Volvo was an old Ford/Mazda engine too which were not known for being frugal. The flexi fuel bits made it even less fuel efficient but it didn't matter at the time as E85 was cheap at the pump.

Top Dog wrote: »
    If it actually did 38mpg it'd be grand - but from the posts above it won't. ;)

So we'll say 35mpg - thats pretty poor for something sold in the last decade-ish. Our old Mk3 Golf GTI nearly did that with an ancient 8 valve 2.0 petrol motor (averaged 34 when not caning it), so I'd expect a much more modern 1.8 Volvo to be better.

Don't think anyones getting worked up about it - but its not exactly fantastic. And in my case I'd avoid as it wouldn't suit my needs.

My mk5 gti used to do 28 mpg at the absolute Max, same with my current BMW 325, I'd be happy with 35 in any mid-large petrol car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

1 owner '99 octavia estate
    Low miles for year
    Decent looking bus
    Test may '18
    Asking €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2000-glx-tdi-1-9/15049261

Genuine looking '05 Avensis
    Test june '18
    Doesn't look like it has had the hole pulled off it.
    Asking €1,400

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/stunning-low-mileage-avensis-diesel-new-test-07-18/16748738

• Advertisement

Lads,
    I'm looking for a diesel bangernomic.
    I am going to be doing between 350 and 600 miles per week for the next 9 months.
    Planning on parking my old petrol benz and getting a few jobs done to her during that time.

My criteria are simple;
    Circa €1,300 budget
    Fuel economy
    Reliable
    Bit of Comfort if possible

I will be moving it on again next June/July and putting my old Merc back on the road.

Any thoughts on the 4 I posted last night.

I am edging towards the Avensis in Kerry, but am intregued by the Jag! What are they like reliability wise and are they good on juice?

I rang the Octavia estate I posted last night and that seems very genuine, the chap has owned it since brand new!
    Surely that would be a decent option at €900??

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

A diesel X type is in my opinion a great option if you're looking for cheap frugal comfort to cover many miles. People will go on about how wrong a diesel Jag etc but ignore that. Injectors are problematic on the diesel and that's about it imo. I'd give it a go over an avensis or Octavia any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Good options, I'd go either Jag or Skoda... but the Jag would be much nicer to drive and spend time in if you don't need estate space. (And should inherit much of its reliability characteristics from Mondeo lineage?).

AFAIK, none have a DPF which is one thing less to worry about. Is that Jag/Ford engine chain or belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The Jag is essentially a ford mondeo in a fancy dress.
    Which, if you are looking for a cheap reliable car, is a good thing in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

A diesel X type is in my opinion a great option if you're looking for cheap frugal comfort to cover many miles. People will go on about how wrong a diesel Jag etc but ignore that. Injectors are problematic on the diesel and that's about it imo. I'd give it a go over an avensis or Octavia any day!

+1 on that. Been running a big fat diesel xtype as my daily now bangernomics for the last three years and I've replaced the injectors and the DMF (did the clutch while we were at it and upgraded it to the Luk kit as advised on the Xtype forums) and she is still going strong.

I'm getting about 45mpg out of her and have all the comfort of the leather, reverse sensors, heated seats and a bit of walnut on the dash too. Its a great place to be. She's easy to keep and comfortable to drive.

Normally I would get bored and change car every 2 years or so, but I think I will keep this one till she blows up, which according to my mechanic - won't be anytime soon.

One other common issue is the door locks going doolally - currently replacing one on mine as we speak, but again, parts are cheap. The pack of door clips to replace the door trim were nearly as expensive as a replacement lock.

She is chain driven, but I've not yet had any issues there. She's pretty much as mentioned a Ford Mondeo in drag - so most (not all) parts are Ford and cheap to replace. That said some of the parts are Jaguar, but I've only found one so far - the fuel pump. Which luckily hasn't caused me a scrap of issue.

I would (and have) highly recommended them provided they are in good nick. Mine had a full jag service history when i got her and has been minded since.

oh and edited to add - no DPF which is another reason for me to hang on to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

W123-80's wrote: »
    Lads,
    I am going to be doing between 350 and 600 miles per week for the next 9 months.
    Planning on parking my old petrol benz and getting a few jobs done to her during that time.

My criteria are simple;
    Circa €1,300 budget
    Fuel economy
    Reliable

I will be moving it on again next June/July and putting my old Merc back on the road.

I am edging towards the Avensis in Kerry, but am intregued by the Jag! What are they like reliability wise and are they good on juice?

I rang the Octavia estate I posted last night and that seems very genuine, the chap has owned it since brand new!

Thanks all.

Any love for this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-147-jtd/16497828

bear1 wrote: »

Lovely looking car, but no good fo me.
    I should have said I need 4 doors and a little bit of space. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year, so back seat will have two baby seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm sure they are grand cars but they are one of the few Alfas I don't like.
    Gimme a good 156/159 anyday (or, a v6 75 for added retro-alfa) but wouldn't buy a 147.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Lads,

My criteria are simple;
    Circa €1,300 budget
    Fuel economy
    Reliable

Thanks all.

Hi any interest in my own advert on Donedeal

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-volkswagen-passat-sport-1-9tdi/16573070

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

John2009 wrote: »

That is loads of tippex... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

grogi wrote: »
    That is loads of tippex... :D

Isn't it haha, last bloody owners mechanic wrecked the engine bay with all the tippex though I have all the receipts to back up the work done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Tbh I'd take that Passat. Very good spec with full heated seats for the winter and climate control to boot
    Good engine and seems to be looked after. Best way to spend 1k I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just picked up a 2003 Accord Estate, needed something with a **** ton of space for bikes and dog.

Full leather, heated and electric seats.
    CD changer with the premium sound system
    Sunroof
    Dual zone aircon
    Sunroof
    FSH
    Intergalactic mileage but showing none of it in terms of wear, and I can change the odo to not display the mileage so it doesn't annoy me :pac:
    4 nearly new and matched tyres
    Test until July '18 and tax for another 3 days
    Few marks on the body but nothing worth worrying about and the alloys are a state

All for the princely sum of €500

Just picked up a 2003 Accord Estate, needed something with a **** ton of space for bikes and dog.
    It's not grey with a twin socket tow bar is it? Spotted one on dd last night. Cheap from a dealer.

Top Dog wrote: »
    It's not grey with a twin socket tow bar is it? Spotted one on dd last night. Cheap from a dealer.

I think it's the navy one out by tallaght from a dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Lads,

My criteria are simple;
    Circa €1,300 budget
    Fuel economy
    Reliable
    Rover 75 CDTi/MGZT CDTi is worth considering.

This was the one I thought it might be, but its '04

NDlkZjZiN2YwZDc0MDlkZjUzYzQyNmVlNzQ0ZDMxYzfgjcHq8lkPTxAh5hAmbbgQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184Mzg0MzAxOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-honda-accord-2-2cdti-executive-estate-nct11-17/16774680

commited wrote: »
    Rover 75 CDTi/MGZT CDTi is worth considering.
    I had a look for those before,but not many on the market.

Maybe: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mg-zt-black-diesel/16441948
    Open to reasonable offers he says

Or another in diesel vein
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-estate-1-9-tdi/16623694
    Estate diesel A6: Asking €950. Since it's a 1.9tdi A6, it will be the 130bhp version, 5 SPD gearbox too so is AWX engine code (well regarded).

Advert info says NCT only Oct 2017, but advert text says has passed test and NCT database backs it up so it's a 12 to 13 mth NCT. Also 2 mths tax left!

Only questions: interior condition? And when was timing belt done? I think interval is 60k miles, and there's 170k on car, so could be due its third. That's a €400 job, but would add value to car anyway.
    Worth an enquiry perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's the one. Could do with being attacked with a DA and a paint of the wheels but the dog or bikes don't mind that. I'm actually quite pleased with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement