Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

W123-80's wrote: »
    1 owner '99 octavia estate
    Low miles for year
    Decent looking bus
    Test may '18
    Asking €950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2000-glx-tdi-1-9/15049261

Is that really worth €950?, Im not knocking it, I have a slightly newer one, with lower miles pre dpf also, I thought the GLX spec was a petrol version?
    dont want to tempt fate but its running away ok, which is my concern about getting something else, in case it doesn't run away ok. Im tempted by the likes of an x type and the rover/MG 75, but Im also tempted to drive mine on. Pleasantly surprised by reports of a reliable chain engine in the x type, the MG looks nice too, like the idea of the automatic, but its mpg is low.
    I need the estate boot, find it too handy, the x type and the MG are nice though, any idea if they are the same engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MG uses BMW engine, X Type uses Ford engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Hello all,
    Update on my bangernomic search!
    I bought the Octavia estate today.

Picked it up for €850 notes.
    To be fair it's immaculate for the year.
    The chap selling it was a gent and bought it new back in 2000!
    124k miles, a fully stamped service book with timing belt changes at 50k and 100k.

I'm happy out anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Stick some hay particles into the boot and you're good to go :D

bear1 wrote: »
    Stick some hay particles into the boot and you're good to go :D

It's a very rare city slicker diesel Octavia estate!
    I'm not sure how it will cope in the wild west of ireland.
    It's going straight in at the deep end anyway, I have 2 trailers of turf to get off the bog tomorrow..ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's going straight in at the deep end anyway, I have 2 trailers of turf to get off the bog tomorrow..ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Jesus what were you at all summer. Awful late to be bring the turf home.

Jesus what were you at all summer. Awful late to be bring the turf home.

Ha ha. I know. Its bagged and on the road for the last 2 months. Need to get the finger out!

Love the front fogs built into the headlight cluster on those. The GLX is pretty rare on them pre facelifts and is a nice upgrade from winding windows on the base model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Love the front fogs built into the headlight cluster on those. The GLX is pretty rare on them pre facelifts and is a nice upgrade from winding windows on the base model.

Not to mention the sunroof and climatronic

Does it have discs at the back ?

Can Briskoda look forward to a new member ?

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/27-skoda-octavia-mk-i/

Not to mention the sunroof and climatronic

Does it have discs at the back ?

Can Briskoda look forward to a new member ?

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/27-skoda-octavia-mk-i/

Thanks, never knew that forum existed. I will sign up.!

If the GLX is an upgrade the base must have been pretty sparce!
    I was cruising down the motorway today admiring the dash. The double indicator button is the star of the show!
    To be fair, the electric windows and sunroof are a nice touch on a car that age. Also the upholstery on the seats and the doors is a bit funky!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Hello all,

124k miles, a fully stamped service book with timing belt changes at 50k and 100k.

I'm happy out anyway.

A lovely car and should last a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

windscreen cracked, (can be fixed but price will be 2380) or, if you covered by insurance can fix it for free.

That's a bit of an eye-watering price to fix a windscreen. Would an insurance company really pay that with no blowback?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Hello all,

I'm happy out anyway.

Looks a great buy. Well ware.
    Out of interest who did you get insurance from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

DeepBlue wrote: »
    That's a bit of an eye-watering price to fix a windscreen. Would an insurance company really pay that with no blowback?

Insurance companies are not stupid, they won't cover anything that was there before policy inception...

grogi wrote: »
    Insurance companies are not stupid, they won't cover anything that was there before policy inception...

How would they know when it was cracked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Presumably the seller means the price of the car would go up to €2,380 as opposed to his current asking price of €2,200 if he were to fix the windscreen himself before the sale. i.e. its costing him in around €180 to fix, hardly a massive price if presumably it needs a new windscreen fitted I'm guessing.... not that he makes it very clear in the ad.

Either way I would say it certainly technically puts the car out of the bangernomic's criteria. I could be wrong but would tend to get the impression there wont be much wiggle room with seller on the price too.

I posted one of them model Mazda 6's in the thread some time back, 2008 and around €1,800 asking as I recall. While it was a bit rough looking around the edges in places it was good to go as per the ad anyway...I certainly didn't get much in the way of appreciation for posting in.

The Mazda 6 has never being a great seller but are in no way a bad car (apart fro diesels which I believe should best be avoided, certainly in the Mark 1 6 model). They surely represent good value for money to the right person as a used car buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Not sure if serious...

€180. The price of the car with a new windscreen will be bumped up to €2,380.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

How would they know when it was cracked?

When the claim is early into policy, they inspect the damage for its age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I think he means the price of the car will be €2380 with the screen fixed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If its only a crack it could be left alone for a good while before making a claim. Test isn't due till next July so loads of time for it to be fixed before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Take a hammer to it 2 weeks after you buy the car*

*joke

cocoman wrote: »
    Looks a great buy. Well ware.
    Out of interest who did you get insurance from?

Im with Aviva for years. Cost me €40 to switch the policy from my '96 C200 on to the Octavia.

I can only assume the guys in the Aviva quote department hit double tops on the dart board when I was enquiring about a price.

Is there a difference between Sport and M-Sport? I always thought there was only the one? In which case I'd want to see the VLC before believing thats a Sport - no m-sport bodykit, seats, steering wheel. Looks more like an SE with an aftermarket front bumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's not an msport, that's for sure.
    Perhaps it's an SE with m sport badging or something. But the non-m sport steeringwheel is the biggest giveaway in an e 60/1

ELM327 wrote: »
    Perhaps it's an SE with m sport badging or something.
    It doesn't even have badging ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was no Sport E60/E61. It's just an aftermarket front and rear bumper body kit. It's a UK import too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement