Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He says he won't bargain but....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520d-touring-nct-03-18/16673014

edit: slipping clutch.... feck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That's not very cheap considering the clutch needs doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's a lot of folks with cars for what I'd consider appropriate price, with a disclaimer on the bottom "<some €1000 problem>, hence price".

I think a lot of people have no idea how little their cars are really worth when they go to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    He says he won't bargain but....

edit: slipping clutch.... feck

That 5 Series looks like a shed. New clutch and flywheel will cost the bones of another 1k. The seller has 17 other cars for sale also so he's knows what he's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

bazz26 wrote: »
    That 5 Series looks like a shed. New clutch and flywheel will cost the bones of another 1k. The seller has 17 other cars for sale also so he's knows what he's at.

Plus it looks like it has had more hits than the beatles....

How much would a new clutch cost on a 520D ?

oops, bazz26 answered my question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

To be fair it’s a 2006 5 Series estate with the best engine and gearbox combo. You’d pick up a clutch kit and flywheel for a few hundred quid I’d imagine if you could do the work yourself it would clean up well.

We’re talking sub €2k for it - of course it’s not going to be perfect. Has the older school engine too and Od say it was a trade in, can’t blame the seller for not putting the clutch into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

166man wrote: »
    To be fair it’s a 2006 5 Series estate with the best engine and gearbox combo.
    Best engine and gearbox combo? Seriously? Any fan of BMW's will tell you they have to have at least 6 cylinders, and there's a reason the automatics outnumber the manuals.

Its a battered '06 estate with a ding on each corner that the owner can't be bothered to sort out before selling it on. I'd steer well clear and go look at the 525d fake sport that was posted only a page or two ago. 6 cylinder diesel with a slush box that looks much more cared for. Yeah its a year older, but it also fits the bangernomics criteria and if the seller of the 520D sticks to his assertion that he won't bargain on price then it doesn't deserve to be here at all.

Each to their own though I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,085 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Must be a mileage record for a 166, I'm oddly interested in going to view it regardless

Revs are a bit high aren't They?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Id say its just the automatic choke on startup, is there a warning light on the dash bottom right hand corner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

To be fair it’s a 2006 5 Series estate with the best engine and gearbox combo.

A diesel engine is the best engine option in a 5 series???

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Id say its just the automatic choke on startup, is there a warning light on the dash bottom right hand corner ?

Automatic choke?? I know Alfas aren't great but surely they're not still using carbs :P

To be fair it’s a 2006 5 Series estate with the best engine and gearbox combo. You’d pick up a clutch kit and flywheel for a few hundred quid I’d imagine if you could do the work yourself it would clean up well.

We’re talking sub €2k for it - of course it’s not going to be perfect. Has the older school engine too and Od say it was a trade in, can’t blame the seller for not putting the clutch into it.

Are you looking at the same car? It's a 520d.

I know cheap cars are not perfect but spending 2k on a tired old battered car like that E61 and then having to spend up to 50% of what you paid for it on a new clutch/flywheel, unless you have mechanical skills to change it yourself, seems daft to me and a waste of money.

Are you looking at the same car? It's a 520d.

I know cheap cars are not perfect but spending 2k on a tired old battered car like that E61 and then having to spend up to 50% of what you paid for it on a new clutch/flywheel, unless you have mechanical skills to change it yourself, seems daft to me and a waste of money.

Yes very much looking at the same car. It’s the older school engine with the lower tax and manual gearbox I.e less to go wrong. Pretty obvious it’s the most sellable version in Ireland.

Re having to put a clutch in it, if you’d read my post you’d see I said “if” someone has the ability to do the work themselves.

You view that as a waste of money, whilst I view losing thousands a year in depreciation as a waste of money. :)

Yes very much looking at the same car. It’s the older school engine with the lower tax and manual gearbox I.e less to go wrong. Pretty obvious it’s the most sellable version in Ireland.

Re having to put a clutch in it, if you’d read my post you’d see I said “if” someone has the ability to do the work themselves.

You view that as a waste of money, whilst I view losing thousands a year in depreciation as a waste of money. :)

Fine, whatever. I get the impression if I said it was a bargain, you'd be here arguing the merits of how it wasn't.

As for your constant point on depreciation, I thought you would be happy not all people have the same view on depreciation as yourself otherwise none of the cars you owned would ever have existed.

Fine, whatever. I get the impression if I said it was a bargain, you'd be here arguing the merits of how it wasn't.

As for your constant point on depreciation, I thought you would be happy not all people have the same view on depreciation as yourself otherwise none of the cars you owned would ever have existed.

Glad you understand. I’m not arguing simply providing a different viewpoint on a car that’s all.

I’m not sure I take your second comment seriously so I’ll just move on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The wife’s motor

http://www.adverts.ie/13908266

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Not sure if serious...

€180. The price of the car with a new windscreen will be bumped up to €2,380.
    Unfortunately I was serious. :o
    Read the ad wrong and didn't engage brain or common sense.

0Ji7D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

jharr100 wrote: »

11 weeks NCT. A bit short, wonder if he's been there already.

If ever a car was crying out for a removable tow hitch, it's that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭easygoing39

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Them diesel Lexus are a false economy as they are thirsty and very unreliable in diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Them diesel Lexus are a false economy as they are thirsty and very unreliable in diesel.
    yes.
    I was considering one a while back. But when I started researching them the feedback, even on Lexus forums and even from 220d owners was poor. Along lines of "as an IS220d driver, I'd say you should buy an IS250". Was there a major engine recall? Some discussions that if Lexus had swapped the engine out on the car it would probably be OK.

That said, I test drive one and it was nice: smallish but nicely laid out, comfortable, and decent power.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Head gasket just went and I need something that will do for 6-12 months. I'm considering a Saab 9-3 1.9 diesel with 185k miles. Looks clean. What should I look out for on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Trojan wrote: »
    Head gasket just went and I need something that will do for 6-12 months. I'm considering a Saab 9-3 1.9 diesel with 185k miles. Looks clean. What should I look out for on these?
    Service history, or other evidence owners took care of it.

yes.
    I was considering one a while back. But when I started researching them the feedback, even on Lexus forums and even from 220d owners was poor. Along lines of "as an IS220d driver, I'd say you should buy an IS250". Was there a major engine recall? Some discussions that if Lexus had swapped the engine out on the car it would probably be OK.

That said, I test drive one and it was nice: smallish but nicely laid out, comfortable, and decent power.

It was a poorly designed engine. The head gasket goes on them which destroys the engine.
    The gearing is supposedly terrible in them and as mentioned they are very thirsty.
    We've got the same engine in our auris but the only thing we have to put up with is about 8l per 100km.
    They are lovely looking inside but personally I'd go for the 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

bear1 wrote: »
    It was a poorly designed engine. The head gasket goes on them which destroys the engine.
    The gearing is supposedly terrible in them and as mentioned they are very thirsty.
    We've got the same engine in our auris but the only thing we have to put up with is about 8l per 100km.
    They are lovely looking inside but personally I'd go for the 250.

I have one as a daily, average 38mpg and an unuseable 6th gear.

Cant kill it though, nearly 400k and is comfortable with decent spec so il drive her on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Great condition, only downside that 1.4 engine :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement