Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

commited wrote: »

One to drive to Russia if we qualify, for the football ,sell for a profit and fly home. .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Farmers favourite Corolla with NCT Aug 18 for €600.
    YzlhMjY4NDI2ZmFhNTVkMmU2YWZlNjFhMjgzNTg5Yjlf540nCUIR8TFyekEzSNpgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NjQ1MTUxNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corrolla/17023618

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

1999 Saab 9-3 convertible with 123k miles, short test - €800

NTQwNGNkZTQ2ZDQzYjQ5Y2FlYmQyZDZjYWEyMGMwOTFERW9WroaziS4fFA1kdyPeaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZWZjOTZmNTM0NmYyMGZhZmFkZDg1ZjllZmJiODBhNTIzMzQzODRkNzM5ZjdjYTkxMDJmYjljNWI1NzNmNzYxYi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTN4Mjk0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like the car has barely been used since the last NCT. Perfect time of the year to buy a convertible. Surely he won't refuse €500 cash if held in front of him. Well worth a punt this. The old slant engine if I'm not mistaken, so very reliable and chain driven. Would have thought if there was to be a sludge issue, it would have come up by now. Nice find :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Yes, very nice find!
    Engine certainly chain driven. Would watch for white smoke on startup from cold in case turbo on way out (e.g. because if sludge). The bulkhead separation issue could also be manifesting. But it is repairable, I got a quote of a few hundred before. On a nice convertible it could be worthwhile anyway if you can buy it at that price.
    Trim level looks good, e.g. climate control, not just air conditioning. Also impressed that the info display seems to have all pixels intact.

Finally, boot on those cars is actually very good, probably as good as you can get on a convertible.
    Could *potentially* appreciate in value?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

That is an absolutely brilliant find, pity about the short NCT. Also looks like it's idling very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

2008 Mazda 6 1.8 Executive
    Low mileage
    Nct 04\18
    Tax 05\18
    From a dealer, asking €1,950.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-1-8-executive/17032461

YmQ3ODFhZDI2YmU0NjFkNWRhNzEyYjA5MGRlNjRiNDYMvcJTXj1ZFPuksYyFhuOzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NjU0NTI1M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nice automatic laguna with a long test. €1100

Y2E1NDg4NWJhYmMyMDU4NThkYmQ2NTBhNzYzYzhlNGXzb3vOv2L2qukO10S7Xh8OaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NDEyNzA1M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Petrol Audi A2 with 7 months NCT for €600. Bargain if it checks out.

Poor photos, poor ad, it's outside Cork and has been for sale for 5 weeks which means it could be got for €4-500.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a2/16714784

M2JiNTcxNDZlMzhjNjMxNmIyMWIxNWY2MWQ0MDNhYWMGshlSXOMgf6fnbfgm0lG5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MzIwMjg2MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That's a gem of an A2, but the 2001 reg will cause an insurance problem there.. Shame.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Has 10k miles nearly more then ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Markcheese wrote: »
    That's a gem of an A2, but the 2001 reg will cause an insurance problem there.. Shame.

If changing over from another car there should be no problem. If starting a new policy a few will still insure it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If changing over from another car there should be no problem. If starting a new policy a few will still insure it

Problems start at renewal, when you cannot really shop around... :(

grogi wrote: »
    Problems start at renewal, when you cannot really shop around... :(

Ya you are very limited in that regard alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Greybottle wrote: »
    Petrol Audi A2 with 7 months NCT for €600. Bargain if it checks out.

Poor photos, poor ad, it's outside Cork and has been for sale for 5 weeks which means it could be got for €4-500

Yea, poxy ad. One single picture of half the car. Is it any wonder it’s not sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-d4d-avensis-n-c-t-01-18/17057769

07 Avensis... Shortish test..
    Worth a look thought .

"any test welcome"

So how about the NCT test? Seller could have put it through already for a 2019 NCT. Same as my '99 car passed the re-test last week, NCT 01/19.

The cynic in me is saying that car will need money spending for it to pass the NCT...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Top Dog wrote: »
    Ok smokey - I'll bite.

Why?

Just me i suppose, but the seat is something that when its shagged looks so.....flaccid...woild drive me nuts...cars wear so well now that a really worn looking seat kinda screams out a bit..decent enough looking motor otherwise, well wear .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

To be fair, it looks clean and presentable but I agree fully with unkel's sentiments

To be fair, it looks clean and presentable but I agree fully with unkel's sentiments

It's good value for what it is and some people aren't aware that they can test a car early. But I would go in eyes wide open for a car like this. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

unkel wrote: »
    "any test welcome"

So how about the NCT test? Seller could have put it through already for a 2019 NCT. Same as my '99 car passed the re-test last week, NCT 01/19.

The cynic in me is saying that car will need money spending for it to pass the NCT...

Bought an 06 one a few months ago. 1 months test, taxed till end of year. 950 Euro.
    Tested it in Sept. and it needed 2 rear flexible brake pipes, two rear steel pipes replaced (well, part of them) and the tested insisted that the two adjustable links for toe in/out on the rear suspension be changed, as the flats on the adjuster nut were rusty.
    280 Euro, and that was with s/h rear adjustable links.
    Tester said to me "every one of those Avensis are failing for that reason" :mad:

That's not too bad for the work done. But it goes to show that you buy a car with a short NCT (or none) at your own peril

I got stung myself this week. I brought in a '87 Mercedes last month that had a brand new MOT. Only advisory was brake pipes. Not a fail. NCT tested it last week and it failed on the solid brake pipes and structural corrosion on one end of one sill. The car has got all new brake pipes and needed 19 hours of welding. Just booked it in for the re-test next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

19 hours of welding ....... sucks in breath through teeth ... :D

In my case the garage man said that the breaker lifted 4 Avensis before they found one with those links still there.

In the case of your MOT , does that highlight the difference between an independent garage doing the testing, and a Govt. sanctioned operation?

That's not too bad for the work done. But it goes to show that you buy a car with a short NCT (or none) at your own peril

I got stung myself this week. I brought in a '87 Mercedes last month that had a brand new MOT. Only advisory was brake pipes. Not a fail. NCT tested it last week and it failed on the solid brake pipes and structural corrosion on one end of one sill. The car has got all new brake pipes and needed 19 hours of welding. Just booked it in for the re-test next week.

A bit of an inspection and a bit of homework would of steered you clear of that. An mot(neither is an nct) is not and indication of a good car but in the mot's case that corrosion was probably flagged at some stage and is probably up on the system.

Even if it's not, a good inspection of the bodywork is an absolute must on a car of that age no matter what the test says or doesn't say.

Anyway I know the above is no good to you now but I hope it works out for you with that car and that the welding has sorted every bit of rust on the car.

Bought the car on eBay, JohnBoy26, so inspection was a bit difficult over the internet ;)

No mention in the MOT history of the corrosion. Did my homework and was fully aware of the risks obviously. A lot of the welding was done to prevent future further rot, not just to get the car to pass the test. Still, the car is worth more here than what I paid for it, all my expenses included. The car is in excellent condition with a huge service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A bit of an inspection and a bit of homework would of steered you clear of that. An mot(neither is an nct) is not and indication of a good car but in the mot's case that corrosion was probably flagged at some stage and is probably up on the system.

Even if it's not, a good inspection of the bodywork is an absolute must on a car of that age no matter what the test says or doesn't say.

Anyway I know the above is no good to you now but I hope it works out for you with that car and that the welding has sorted every bit of rust on the car.
    Bought the car on eBay, JohnBoy26, so inspection was a bit difficult over the internet ;)

No mention in the MOT history of the corrosion. Did my homework and was fully aware of the risks obviously. A lot of the welding was done to prevent future further rot, not just to get the car to pass the test. Still, the car is worth more here than what I paid for it, all my expenses included. The car is in excellent condition with a huge service history.

Don't try to teach your Unkel to suck eggs.

Ah right, I didn't realize you bought it off ebay. It's unusual that the mot didn't pick up on it down through the years but at least you have it sorted now and it should give you many years of happy motoring. :)

• Advertisement

It kinda proves the point that the NCT is a far more rigorous inspection than the hit & miss an MOT by your local friendly garage can be. And great value at €55 too. But I suspect you don't agree with me there :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement