Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    It kinda proves the point that the NCT is a far more rigorous inspection than the hit & miss an MOT by your local friendly garage can be. And great value at €55 too. But I suspect you don't agree with me there :p

Maybe it is more rigorous but the nct can miss some glaring faults too and rust has gotten by the nct also. It can come down to the tester on the day really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

That's not too bad for the work done. But it goes to show that you buy a car with a short NCT (or none) at your own peril

I got stung myself this week. I brought in a '87 Mercedes last month that had a brand new MOT. Only advisory was brake pipes. Not a fail. NCT tested it last week and it failed on the solid brake pipes and structural corrosion on one end of one sill. The car has got all new brake pipes and needed 19 hours of welding. Just booked it in for the re-test next week.

What you buy Unkel? Sounds like a W124!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

W201 190E 2.6 :)

Put a pic up in the classic car forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

W201 190E 2.6 :)

Put a pic up in the classic car forum

Lovely. Well wear.
    It really is time to start minding the last of the W201s and the W124s. I just hope there is one left for me when I eventually get to buy one.
    Enjoy it.!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Never heard of Aeolus tyres.
    But looking at a review of the tyre it scored 57% overall grip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

This is getting silly now....

2005 XJ6 for €1500:
    OTkzZjcyZTVlY2YzYmY1MjM5M2FiZmM1MjBlMDE0MDTdGxz9j-7Ft0-cO9YmrMUpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MDI3NjU0MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6/16428886

A ridiculous amount of car for the money.

If I was in the market for an estate, this would be top of my bangernomics list..

2006 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
    MjM3MTU5MjdiMDU2NjE2ZTMxZTU5YmY0ZjcyN2QyYzfcjVebuUz-AxHi2BT8IsptaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NjEyMTEyOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-2-3-ts-aero-5dr-auto-nct-low-miles/16990095

The amount of car you can get for <€2k these days is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Tís nuts all right, but Tís a grand a year in tax as well...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

nm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

6 weeks NCT.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

commited wrote: »
    If I was in the market for an estate, this would be top of my bangernomics list..

2006 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Looks great, but a bit tight on NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-525-tds-only-86000mil-swap/17095006

ZmVhNTdjMDc5MTQ4NjYzMjMzYmJhZThmYzQzNjVkMTNRAw8H5uM0p3ZBzOOYGX5taHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NzIyODU0N3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Would be worth 5k in another 7 year.
    Bit of an appreciating classic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Clear indicators do nothing for the E34 in my opinion!

I'd also be very dubious about that mileage claim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Clear indicators do nothing for the E34 in my opinion!

I'd also be very dubious about that mileage claim

The wear on the driver seat agrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

bear1 wrote: »
    Never heard of Aeolus tyres.
    But looking at a review of the tyre it scored 57% overall grip :D

Maybe its a halloween thing but the Saab Aero posted below your post has a picture with an Aeolus tyre. Spooky

Would be worth 5k in another 7 year.

I doubt it. It's a diesel, so not a proper BMW. And you can bet serious money that car has been clocked. It's also been out of NCT for 5 years. Does not belong in this thread at all.

That said, I owned a '94 E34 myself (V8 petrol) and early E34s will turn 30 next year. Thinking of bringing one in myself. Hopefully a 535i

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The wear on the driver seat agrees with you.

Short trips = more getting in and out of the driver's seat. :pac:

I have a very low mileage BMW (backed up with all paper work from new) and the seat bolster is fúcked.

Short trips = more getting in and out of the driver's seat. :pac:

I have a very low mileage BMW (backed up with all paper work from new) and the seat bolster is fúcked.

Maybe lay off the pies and start going to the gym then :pac::pac:

I jest... But I would be horribly disappointed if my driver seat looked like that with less than 100k on the clock. Also lets be realistic here, a 525diesel that's 23 years old with that mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Maybe lay off the pies and start going to the gym then :pac::pac:

I jest... But I would be horribly disappointed if my driver seat looked like that with less than 100k on the clock. Also lets be realistic here, a 525diesel that's 23 years old with that mileage?

What is wrong with that?!

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »

What's wrong with what?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What's wrong with what?
    I presume he's disparaging the miles.
    Which to be fair is a realistic outlook for a diesel that old with such low miles.

I'd want to see some service history before I even considered accepting that low miles as realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

grogi wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about a 23 year old Diesel with 100k miles than a similar car with 300k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about a 23 year old Diesel with 100k miles than a similar car with 300k miles.

I wouldn't.

I would worry about a car that is off NCT for last five years much much more :D

ELM327 wrote: »
    I presume he's disparaging the miles.
    Which to be fair is a realistic outlook for a diesel that old with such low miles.

I'd want to see some service history before I even considered accepting that low miles as realistic.

Low miles and no history I'd run a mile, intergalactic miles with a comprehensive history and I'll open the wallet.
    Too many people have a big hangup on miles, we've come a long way since Cortina's and Renault 4's that were dead after 100k miles

Markcheese wrote: »
    Tís nuts all right, but Tís a grand a year in tax as well...

Yup but if the tax was lower the car would be more expensive! Bottom line, it's either tax or depreciation on luxury cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jaysus Toby. No NCT=
    = Not bangernomics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Something a bit different, a 20v Beetle Turbo.
    180 horses from new I think.

NCT until Jul 2018, tax till end of the month, €1200 will buy it.

OGY3NDUxZWEzMjI3OTA3Zjc1YzI1ZTIxNzQxMDAwZTUeHr6k8DYiSTnGNAhR_SS6aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MjgyODQyNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty sure they're 150bhp but nice unusual yoke, would surprise a few people off the line!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement