Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The engine bay is silver, would that not mean the rest of the car was too? You'd hardly go out of your way to paint that bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

commited wrote: »
    This is getting silly now....

2005 XJ6 for €1500:
    OTkzZjcyZTVlY2YzYmY1MjM5M2FiZmM1MjBlMDE0MDTdGxz9j-7Ft0-cO9YmrMUpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MDI3NjU0MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6/16428886

A ridiculous amount of car for the money.

And up again for sale from a trader for an easy profit:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/quick-sale-jaguar-xj6/17129933

• Registered Users Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

NWU4YjE5ZWMwYjk0YzQ2ZmU3YTY4MzViMmVjNTVjYzGvGxVQfohH4Yb26Y9LzyrSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NzYyNTQzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mazda-mx5/17133011
    MX5
    78kms
    Hardon and soft top

Close to 2k should buy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Love that Mazda but being Jap might make it a bit of an issue insurance wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

First post in a while in here, this looks good, 5 cylinder diesel with a manual gearbox, it also has the silver trim on the instrument cluster which means it's the ford one. These are good for stratospheric mileage and have a long service interval. Plus its got the nct..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/diesle-d5-s60-volvo-nct-2-18/17133221

D5 manual with nct for 500 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 corkalien

https://www.adverts.ie/car/renault/megane/2006-renault-megane/14144534

Selling this in Cork (Ballincollig). Genuine seller. Been driving it <10k km/year for last 6 years. Just NCT'd. Taxed till end of year.

ZWJmNjUwOTNiMWE0NDk2MDk5MDRlMzVkOGJmNWFkYjTJ9-oeSJphhw9_K57RF5CUaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vN2JlNDYwYzdkYzEwMDA4NDE2Y2M2NGZjOTM0YWU4YWVhNTQxOTRkOGY0MTVjODAwYmYzNmEyYWM3NzM0NTc5Ny5qcGd8fHx8fHw2NDB4NDgwfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Looks like a Dairy Milk, and the 1.2 engine is made of butter, But for 500 lids it's cheap motoring for a few months
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-polo-nct-03-18-bargain/17118754?campaign=3

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

This is mine, I am a long term bangernomics driver, but want to go back to a V70 for bigger space.

Cracking little car, 2005 1.8 petrol, tax out, but NCTd until August 2018. Low mileage. €1500

YjNiMDE0YTRkY2NhNzQxNWYzNzg0NWU2NjA0MWQ4YjV0LTZaiFiRbrcAqHRpdpObaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NzE4MDcxNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Donedeal ad

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice car Will, but you might have to accept a lot less than your asking price if I'm honest.

unkel wrote: »
    Nice car Will, but you might have to accept a lot less than your asking price if I'm honest.

what's it worth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it was a saloon, I'd say €1,000. Not sure if estate adds value, they're certainly rarer, but I would be asking €1300 to get €1250

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it was a saloon, I'd say €1,000. Not sure if estate adds value, they're certainly rarer, but I would be asking €1300 to get €1250

I could live with €1250. Obviously I'm biased but it is a decent car for that money, but I guess as ever insurance is the problem given the age. It wasn't a problem for me when I got the policy as I was going from an older 2.0 l petrol V70. Exactly what I want to go back to!

Whatever about value, I think the estate is a better looking shape, the saloon looks a bit odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭kindalen

Maybe I'm being a bit mean, but a grand would be max money for me on Volvo. Best of luck with sale. Insurance issue putting perfectly good cars off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's no insurance issue on a '05 car. Don't know why people are saying that.
    schmittel wrote: »
    what's it worth?

Hard to say. Obviously it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Every seller of anything in the world ever would like to think their item is worth x while it will only fetch y

If I were selling your car, I'd advertise at €995 and take whatever offer that came in close enough to that. Of course it is possible that if you keep your ad like it is, someone would ring you and offer €1500. It's possible but not likely. We try to give you our honest advice on here. And you've heard mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

schmittel wrote: »
    This is mine, I am a long term bangernomics driver, but want to go back to a V70 for bigger space.

Cracking little car, 2005 1.8 petrol, tax out, but NCTd until August 2018. Low mileage. €1500

Donedeal ad
    The ad is a bit low on detail.
    Eg service history
    What spec(air con?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    There's no insurance issue on a '05 car. Don't know why people are saying that.

Hard to say. Obviously it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Every seller of anything in the world ever would like to think their item is worth x while it will only fetch y

If I were selling your car, I'd advertise at €995 and take whatever offer that came in close enough to that. Of course it is possible that if you keep your ad like it is, someone would ring you and offer €1500. It's possible but not likely. We try to give you our honest advice on here. And you've heard mine.
    There is. Now you still have the freedom to shop around as it's still under 15 years old but as it's over ten years there is a loading and it could actually be very difficult to insure for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    There is. Now you still have the freedom to shop around as it's still under 15 years old but as it's over ten years there is a loading and it could actually be very difficult to insure for some people.

My missus insured our 2003 V40 estate on a new policy not having insurance for 1 year without much issue.

Its true older cars are being priced out, but depends on the type of car too. There'd be a bigger difficulty insuring a 2003 mx5 for instance over our Volvo.
    I can't see much issue with insuring that V50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Not sure how you can possibly come to that conclusion unless you work in industry and know each and every variable?

A Bugatti Veyron could be hard to insure for some people and not hard for others....

Poor attempt at looking for arguments really. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

rizzodun wrote: »
    My missus insured our 2003 V40 estate on a new policy not having insurance for 1 year without much issue.

Its true older cars are being priced out, but depends on the type of car too. There'd be a bigger difficulty insuring a 2003 mx5 for instance over our Volvo.

While yes, the type of car makes a difference, the same could be said of 2 different types of car both less than 10 years old so I see that as a moot point.... Fair to say a lot will have difficulty insuring a new convertible MX5 also - many companies just won't quote you on it irrespective of your other particulars.

I'm driving a bog standard 04' Corolla with the last 2 years and even since I started driving it (just over 10 years old then) a lot of providers would not quote me and of the providers that did there was a general theme that the same bog standard Corolla would have being cheaper to insure if it was less than 10 years old. No issue in that I was able to insure it for a premium that I could afford eventually with shopping around but yes it was an issue in that it curtailed my ability to shop around and for those that did quote me the premium was generally higher than the same less than 10 year old motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-tdci-diesel-tax-and-test-very-clean/17101642?campaign=3

A bit light on test but ticks the boxes to meet the criteria of the thread.
    TDCI Mondeo saloon 07 - Old model.
    209K KM
    NCT 01/18;
    Tax 12/17.
    Give it a good going over and if all's in order and you get it for closer to €1k your laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-tdci-diesel-tax-and-test-very-clean/17101642?campaign=3

A bit light on test but ticks the boxes to meet the criteria of the thread.
    TDCI Mondeo saloon 07 - Old model.
    209K KM
    NCT 01/18;
    Tax 12/17.
    Give it a good going over and if all's in order and you get it for closer to €1k your laughing!
    Mileage 209 km

Hardly driven at all :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

rizzodun wrote: »

That's why I said for some people but regardless there will be a loading on the car as it's over 10.

01 520i with NCT 3/18 €350
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520i/17154597
    Not exactly the best example, but that is very cheap for a facelift e39 with NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

commited wrote: »
    01 520i with NCT 3/18 €350
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520i/17154597
    Not exactly the best example, but that is very cheap for a facelift e39 with NCT.

I know it's only €350 but it has the tamper dot on the display that appears when a BMW has been clocked. Eyes wide open if you want to buy that one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Would you really care though? I mean ok eyes wide open and all that but it's a 350e car which you'd probably get for 300e.
    You'd nearly expect it to have some flaws.
    Even if it has 500k more than it should on the clock i wouldn't care.
    Even if it blows up before the end of the nct you've had seriously cheap motoring and the angel eyes you could probably sell back for nearly the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

bear1 wrote: »
    Would you really care though? I mean ok eyes wide open and all that but it's a 350e car which you'd probably get for 300e.
    You'd nearly expect it to have some flaws.
    Even if it has 500k more than it should on the clock i wouldn't care.
    Even if it blows up before the end of the nct you've had seriously cheap motoring and the angel eyes you could probably sell back for nearly the asking price.

I agree with you, but I still wouldn't buy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

To put into context, I just sold my E39 525i with a blown head gasket for €300.

Here's an interesting e39:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/5-series/used-2001-bmw-5-series-2-2-with-g-waterford-fpa-8187014901255594793
    01 520i SE, 190k kms, €650

It's an Oceania model which means it came from Oz or NZ. Pretty poverty spec for Australia but has climate, high OBC, upgraded HiFi and it's Cosmos black which is a great colour. If it was imported relatively recently then much lower chance of rust etc.

Didn't originally have leather so that's retrofitted. Still, a lot of car for <€700. I have an e60 but strongly considering an e39 on classic insurance now...

Edit: Nvm dealer isn't being honest re NCT expiry in text, it expired July 17 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'00 E240 Estate
    147k miles
    NCT March '18
    Tax Dec '17
    Might be worth asking to have it tested early and guage the reaction, but it seems an honest advert.
    I really like these boats cars!
    Asking €1,250

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e240-7-seater/17148398

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement