Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've never seen an alfa with rust.

I've had a rusty 320d and a couple of rusty VAG cars but never so much as seen an alfa with rust.

I've seen lots with rotted out floorpans. Even fresh examples of 156's back in the day had alarming amount of rust on the floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's the garage where I picked up my Accord, grand lads in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's lovely bear1, the right colour, right leather, right wheels and the right shape. Future classic!
    a well known poster who is known round here for taking exceptional care of his cars and also buying very clean examples was burned badly by a gt.

If you get burned by a bangernomics car, you're not doing it right.

First sign of expensive trouble => dump the car and get another bangernomics

unkel wrote: »
    That's lovely bear1, the right colour, right leather, right wheels and the right shape. Future classic!

Ya but a poster asked are alfas reliable and they were given the usual fanboi "if it's maintained it's a reliable as anything" answer. The maintenance argument is usualy vague by them. By maintained they imply proper servicing, changing the oil on time etc but you need to go well above and beyond regular maintenance and replace a whole bunch of parts as preventive maintenance to make them some bit reliable and even then they can be a nightmare.

The above poster was just alluding to the fact that a fairly regular poster on here, a car enthusiast, who is known to keep his cars properly maintained bought into that fanboi argument and purchased an alfa gt, maintained it properly like the fanbois said and still the car let him down badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Don't think it was a bangernomics purchase unkel.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Ya but a poster asked are alfas reliable and they were given the usual fanboi "if it's maintained it's a reliable as anything" answer. The maintenance argument is usualy vague by them. By maintained they imply proper servicing, changing the oil on time etc but you need to go well above and beyond regular maintenance and replace a whole bunch of parts as preventive maintenance to make them some bit reliable and even then they can be a nightmare.

The above poster was just alluding to the fact that a fairly regular poster on here, a car enthusiast, who is known to keep his cars properly maintained bought into that fanboi argument and purchased an alfa gt, maintained it properly like the fanbois said and still the car let him down badly.

I don't think it's a fanboi approach but ones general opinion.
    I would consider myself a fan of the brand but wouldn't ever say they are fault free.
    Some require more care and some don't and I'm using my own experiences to base this on.

bear1 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a fanboi approach but ones general opinion.
    I would consider myself a fan of the brand but wouldn't ever say they are fault free.
    Some require more care and some don't and I'm using my own experiences to base this on.

it's general opinion of a fanboi tbh, or at least the one they'd like people to think. The general opinion and perception of alfa to the public is that of an unreliable car with fall apart build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Like my Subaru legacy Diesel, full main dealer service on time every time, all parts from them....crankshaft still snapped....(yep, still bitter)

selous wrote: »
    Like my Subaru legacy Diesel, full main dealer service on time every time, all parts from them....crankshaft still snapped....(yep, still bitter)

Exactly

• Advertisement

it's general opinion of a fanboi tbh, or at least the one they'd like people to think. The general opinion and perception of alfa to the public is that of an unreliable car with fall apart build quality.

Just because that's the perception doesn't automatically brand every single one the same.
    I don't actually get the diesel Subaru bit to be honest.
    Thread is being completely derailed with this nonsense.

The general opinion and perception of alfa to the public is that of an unreliable car with fall apart build quality.

Agreed. But the best value bangernomics cars are usually the ones that the man in the pub says to avoid :p

Some super value for money Alfa GTVs posted here in this thread recently. If only I had a big garage, I'd have 10 cars already, not just 3

Agreed. But the best value bangernomics cars are usually the ones that the man in the pub says to avoid :p

Some super value for money Alfa GTVs posted here in this thread recently. If only I had a big garage, I'd have 10 cars already, not just 3

Look dont get me wrong im not saying they are a bad car. They are lovely cars in many aspects and they could well make good bangernomics with a bit of luck but they don't have a bad rep for no reason and if we are honest the perception kind of rings true with many of their cars.

You always need a bit of luck with bangernomics. Unless you can live with a 90s Toyota as your daily. Me, I'd rather have something a bit more exciting :p

You always need a bit of luck with bangernomics. Unless you can live with a 90s Toyota as your daily. Me, I'd rather have something a bit more exciting :p

There no excitment being stuck on the side of the road though, especially on a cold winters night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

commited wrote: »
    Km/h Speedo was first sign but didn't have Jap rear bootlid. Ran a VIN check then.

That E39 520i, I think I recognise it. If it's the car I know, it spent a few years in Singapore before the owner brought it home to Limerick.

Could be wrong though.

MtM

C'mon. Cars only extremely rarely break down these days. Even whatever "unreliable" cars people here usually mention.

There no excitment being stuck on the side of the road though, especially on a cold winters night ;)

Yeah but at least you'll look good :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd nearly swap my 9-3 for that, it's one of the best looking cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Someone's say Alfa...? :D

Rubbish cars.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd nearly swap my 9-3 for that, it's one of the best looking cars on the road.

Last of that style of 156 too before the FL came in.
    Supposedly a very revvy engine but I'd want to see the belt and variator have been done or else you'd need to add another 500e to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Last of that style of 156 too before the FL came in.
    Supposedly a very revvy engine but I'd want to see the belt and variator have been done or else you'd need to add another 500e to that.
    Certainly one of the nicest sounding 4-cyl engines I've driven anyway.
    I suppose it's down to the 8 spark plugs in part anyway (some of which are in really finger cutting places to get to, but that's another story)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd be uncertain about trading down two years,
    I wonder what else the car has going on.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd be uncertain about trading down two years,
    I wonder what else the car has going on.

Do you need the space of a SW or just like the look of it?
    Cause believe it or not the boot in the saloon is slightly bigger :D
    The t-spark isn't an overly complicated engine but you'd have to go and see it and drive it to see if it's worth the change.
    What's the Saab? a diesel or turbo petrol?
    Few reasons why that car is cheap, has the stigmata of the badge and it's a 14 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'm not sure what sort of T-cut you'd need for stigmata? I'd imagine that'd be a tough stain to shift! Bloody thing would keep coming back too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

A Padre Pio sticker is the solution.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I'm not sure what sort of T-cut you'd need for stigmata? I'd imagine that'd be a tough stain to shift! Bloody thing would keep coming back too!

Feckin auto correct :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Im selling this golf. Great car it has been for us. Plenty of poke and lovely interior, Nct until june next year, new timing belt and oil changed last month
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti-1-8t-150bhp-price-dropped/16632203

• Advertisement

Do you need the space of a SW or just like the look of it?
    Cause believe it or not the boot in the saloon is slightly bigger :D
    The t-spark isn't an overly complicated engine but you'd have to go and see it and drive it to see if it's worth the change.
    What's the Saab? a diesel or turbo petrol?
    Few reasons why that car is cheap, has the stigmata of the badge and it's a 14 year old car.

I've always loved the car, had one as a loaner for a while and it was lovely.
    The Saab is grand but, as a Bangernomics fan, I'm nearly due a change.
    Those lines, the only car to compare is the 406 coupe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement