Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

They are poorly made, poorly finished and very unreliable, chocolate timing chains and gearboxes.

Aside from that, no catch. That said it may be worth a gamble at such a low price with all that NCT. It's about at its value though, it isn't particularly cheap. They don't hold value like it's other Japanese relatives, the Corolla or the Civic.
    It's also missing its alloys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    How can you tell? There is only 3 photos of it from bad angles :p

It's still has the Kearys plate surrounds on it from day one. It also still has the stickers on the windows for the LaserLine alarm.

The want is strong :pac:.

It's still has the Kearys plate surrounds on it from day one. It also still has the stickers on the windows for the LaserLine alarm.

Ok fair enough I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

It's like a period piece then?
    Be nice if there was a picture of the interior in some way.

lot of owners on it (6) but in fairness more than 3 months tax, which would be a good 100 discount if you factor it in, and great long NCT (hard to read, but looks like it might have been done within a couple of thousand miles of current claimed mileage). And I suppose for €300 (before negotiating) you can't expect too much!

Had a search around at that price-range and came up with this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6/17234169
    • 1999 Audi A6
    • 1.8l petrol engine
    • NCT to March 2018
    • Tax to Dec 2017
    • No mention of mileage
    • 4 extra Conti winter tyres (look reasonably fresh)
    • Asking €300
    No pics of interior, unfortunately, but as far as I can see it looks reasonably straight. Not an alternative to the Toyota, but valid Bangernomics too I think, and maybe a handy winter bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

2004 A4 Avant 1.9tdi 130hp 6-Speed, relatively low miles, serviced, NCT until Jun 2018. Tax out this month. €1500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-estate/17254908

This should be a good for a few more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

commited wrote: »
    I reckon that IS250 is priced spot on

At €2200? Price is spot on if someone is willing to pay that for it. Not many people in the market for a 2.5l tax (€305 per quarter :eek:) petrol gas guzzler. Not saying no one will offer the asking price (you never know), but if I were the seller, I'd be inclined to take a decent cash offer many hundreds short of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

unkel wrote: »
    At €2200? Price is spot on if someone is willing to pay that for it. Not many people in the market for a 2.5l tax (€305 per quarter :eek:) petrol gas guzzler. Not saying no one will offer the asking price (you never know), but if I were the seller, I'd be inclined to take a decent cash offer many hundreds short of that...

Do you want to make one? :)

Sorry man, not me :)

My last high tax €305 tax per quarter car has just gone to a new owner. My remaining 2 cars have €56 and €120 tax per year :D

Sorry man, not me :)

My last high tax €305 tax per quarter car has just gone to a new owner. My remaining 2 cars have €56 and €120 tax per year :D

Be a nice quarter :) heated seats and all for the Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• 1999 Audi A6
    • 1.8l petrol engine
    • NCT to March 2018
    • Tax to Dec 2017
    • No mention of mileage
    • Asking €300
    No pics of interior, unfortunately, but as far as I can see it looks reasonably straight. Not an alternative to the Toyota, but valid Bangernomics too I think, and maybe a handy winter bus.

Thats an excellent find. Its a 1.8t with 150 bhp. Perfect winter runaround!

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-opel-insignia-2-0-diesel/17256460

MGZlNDEwYmEzNTYyYzk2NDM4MTk1NzdlOWY2MjY3OWGVq1a8On9hHfwRxa9KmFbJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184ODkwMTgyNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT to 6/18, loads of miles but has service history for belt and flywheel apparently. PSV tax at the minute but its usually €390 p/a on these. €1900

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Not that I like Opels but that Insignia is very good value. Its not that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Of course everything is worth what people are willing to pay... I was looking for a decent auto IS250 with leather 6 months ago and prices were considerably higher. The reason these cars cost what they cost is that tax is €1080/year. It's worth more than asking in the UK so I don't see how it's a bad price.

Looking at your later comments, you said that you have no more cars with that tax - did you sell the Boxster?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Of course everything is worth what people are willing to pay... I was looking for a decent auto IS250 with leather 6 months ago and prices were considerably higher. The reason these cars cost what they cost is that tax is €1080/year. It's worth more than asking in the UK so I don't see how it's a bad price.
    I guess another factor with prices is that it's a very imperfect market: buyers and sellers don't always find each other. So even if €X is the "right price" it might take quite a while to find the "right buyer".
    Meanwhile, cars are transacting at "wrong price"! A friend of mine had an Audi A2, good condition (petrol 1.4). He ended up getting just 200 from a garage for it when changing his car, and signed the "for destruction" form for them. I didn't know he was getting rid, but would certainly have given him €500 or more for it, but he didn't know I was in the market for a 2nd car... so market failed and decent car destroyed :mad:

did you sell the Boxster?

I'll buy it back though. Too many cars at the moment after I imported a classic baby Merc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I'll buy it back though. Too many cars at the moment after I imported a classic baby Merc :)

Mad man. I would have done a deal with you on that, didn't even see the ad!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is250-nct-11-18/17250673

I know it’s over 2k but buyer will accept 2k����

Had two calls on it today offering 1700, turned both down!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What is this the gypsy car sales thread?

Mad man. I would have done a deal with you on that, didn't even see the ad!

Wasn't for sale. Gone to a friend who will own it for a while. Then back to me probably some time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-opel-insignia-2-0-diesel/17256460

MGZlNDEwYmEzNTYyYzk2NDM4MTk1NzdlOWY2MjY3OWGVq1a8On9hHfwRxa9KmFbJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184ODkwMTgyNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT to 6/18, loads of miles but has service history for belt and flywheel apparently. PSV tax at the minute but its usually €390 p/a on these. €1900

Has to be the first Insignia to hit this thread , no ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

You'd probably make your money back on that insignia in 12 months if it passed the next test.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The biggest thing we all seem to be missing is that those Insignias are awful yokes at the best of times and a basic spec, ex taxi, Vauxhall badged one is mega undesirable.

That said if you are driving a car to create a first impression it does look modern, inoffensive and like it should cost a lot more than €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

It's like a period piece then?
    Be nice if there was a picture of the interior in some way.

lot of owners on it (6) but in fairness more than 3 months tax, which would be a good 100 discount if you factor it in, and great long NCT (hard to read, but looks like it might have been done within a couple of thousand miles of current claimed mileage). And I suppose for €300 (before negotiating) you can't expect too much!

• 1999 Audi A6
    • 1.8l petrol engine
    • NCT to March 2018
    • Tax to Dec 2017
    • No mention of mileage
    • Asking €300

Some alright options out there it seems, Id be happy to take on a €300 euro car like that corolla while on the look out for something better, the Red Almera looks clean for a bit more, although I prefer an estate for the dog really.
    Im tempted by the audi, but my Octavia has 50k miles less on the clock, be nice to go up a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,098 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-peugeot-607-2-0-hdi-110-bhp-quick-sale/17265155

Seems a genuine in use car that ready to roll down the road.

ZmEyM2RmZjg0MTNkZWU3OWY4ODE0ODUwYTkwYzY0NDmDywfFWpK7e-RYvVKqfERlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184ODk5ODE5NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-peugeot-607-2-0-hdi-110-bhp-quick-sale/17265155

Seems a genuine in use car that ready to roll down the road.

ZmEyM2RmZjg0MTNkZWU3OWY4ODE0ODUwYTkwYzY0NDmDywfFWpK7e-RYvVKqfERlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184ODk5ODE5NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

If he really wants a quick sale on it he should get an NCT on it, even if he added it to the price. He's still got time on the tax, but from what Ive read on boards you can take an untaxed car on the road to a booked NCT test!

As it is, someone might throw practically 500 quid on it, have limited time to prepare it for the NCT or find out at the test themselves it has something going on with it that needs more money.
    Id a relative who did similar, they just couldnt be bothered (couldnt see the sense of why a test would move it faster) or wouldnt spend the 55 quid for the NCT for a car that was fine, it ended up sat on the drive and then ran out of tax too, despite trying to get them to test it. I think for a buyer, an NCT on an older car is peace of mind that you can drive on for a year and you'd have your value from it, without any concern of outlaying cash for the test right after you buy it.

You'd probably make your money back on that insignia in 12 months if it passed the next test.

And it doesn't self combust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

And it doesn't self combust.

At that money, just sell it for parts and move on to the next one

At that money, just sell it for parts and move on to the next one

If it burns out there won't many if any salvageable parts but I get the point you are trying to make.

Still that is a lot of money to some people and it won't be as easy as that just to move on for them.

• Advertisement

If it burns out there won't many if any salvageable parts but I get the point you are trying to make.

Still that is a lot of money to some people and it won't be as easy as that just to move on for them.

Claim back your money off insurance and start again so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement