Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Maybe its not for you I would consider it to be very much in the spirit and ethos of the thread and very much deserves its place here, a lot moreso than so many of the cars being planted here.

Buy something that's ready to go for peanuts and in true bangernomics style then ditch it if something serious packs in and start again. I'd find that difficult to do with a car that costs €2k (or in some cases cars asking considerably in excess of €2k are being put in here - justified by comments such as €2k would buy it???...bladhy bladhy blah etc.)

I'm anything but a Renault fan but the one thing I could not accuse them of being is uncomfortable relative to their counterparts.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-civic-1-4s-4dr-new-nct-10-18-200k-miles/17222700
    2005 Civic Saloon;
    Mileage high @ 210k miles but looks like a well minded one to me;
    NCT 10/2018;
    Asking €875

They're fine and comfortable when you're driving them, the trouble is the amount of time you'll spend walking home after they break down, especially with the cold at this time of year ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gravelly wrote: »
    They're fine and comfortable when you're driving them, the trouble is the amount of time you'll spend walking home after they break down, especially with the cold at this time of year ;)

If it's anything like my Scenic you'll be driving around in the cold with the windows down as well, after the regulators break.
    And the heater fan stops working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hal1 wrote: »
    A couple of months test, but still a desirable fiéke.

NWE2MjUyNDk0NDRiZTNiZTZjN2RhZTNhZjdlZTVhYmOn_f0bJhzFXibo3uZwuIwwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTcwMzc0MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-zetec-s/17357262

That's terrible value for money. €1300 for a car with a very short test and poorly repaired rust on the arches. Id want it to have a fresh test if I was buying it. I wouldn't like to be there in feb looking for someone to weld patches into it before a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Agreed, I made that comment on the basis that they function properly which is not their strong suit and why I actually said I'm not a Renault fan. Walking or tumming a lift home is not a pleasant or comfortable experience for most peoplessmile.png

Overall I'd class many Renault models as an inferior product compared to many of their regular run of the mill rivals. That said I wouldn't kid myself at this price level and assume an alternative make is going to be blessed with bullet proof reliability. If its running okay with a decent dollop of NCT that would be key for me. If something seriously expensive gives up the ghost its going to be rinse and repeat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Had one for 4 years or so and had no issues at all. Call me lucky, but in terms of reliability it was the best car I have owned so far :)

If I just got a job or needed a second car at a budget, there are worse ways to waste 220 euro. Some will spend it in a pub in a month easily.

No risk investment in terms of bangeromics imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

wonski wrote: »
    If I just got a job or needed a second car at a budget, there are worse ways to waste 220 euro. Some will spend it in a pub in a month easily.

Chalk it down... I know a few that would spend that in a pub in one night never mind one monthtongue.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Chalk it down... I know a few that would spend that in a pub in one night never mind one monthtongue.png

I know, some of them can't even afford a car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's it. I would imagine a €200 odd Renault would become a burden very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Funnily enough we've had 4 Renault's in this household (excluding the Primastar & Vivaro which are pretty much Trafic's) and none of them ever left us stranded. Renault 5, 2 Laguna's and a Scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I posted that is250 about 3 months ago when it was for sale in Waterford Colm_mcm had a some interesting info relating to it...
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    That car had 78000 miles on it 3.5 years ago when it was unsaleable in the trade.

http://carstock.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Copy-of-Car-list-for-tender-8.xls

Probably best give it a miss as it's hardly taken them 3 months to figure out they can't insure it.

Can you elaborate? What's up with it? Suspect history? Mileage?

Some otger nice bangernomics offerings too,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

That's it. I would imagine a €200 odd Renault would become a burden very quickly.
    Worst luck I've had was with a SEAT Leon , all cars are a burden. I've driven a Laguna 2, terrible reputation but was basically reliable (though a bit dear for some work like timing belt). Had a reliable Fiat punto also, and anything I did need for it was very cheap and easy to do. These cars will generally end up cheap because of preconceptions, even if they're in good order. Meanwhile e.g. a VAG machine can be relatively dearer even if not in great maintenance due to positive preconceptions.

No reason that the Renault couldn't run fine for a while, and at 200 that doesn't need to be very long. You don't marry a car! (It's not even like a dog: not just for Christmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,102 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-seat-toledo-nct-2-18/15649697

Cheap run around
    Densil Toledo
    New tyres
    NCT2/18

MzJhODI4MjQ1NjAyYzYyMjg2MDZiZTVlNjBlZDM3NTO5Lzg4vlfmPaeBO0-d5Od0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184ODgyMDUxM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It looks tidy and for the price it's hard to go too far wrong but personally I'd consider anything with less than 3 months test to be an item that someone else is offloading because they have no confidence in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

1874 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate? What's up with it? Suspect history? Mileage?

Some otger nice bangernomics offerings too,

I don't know tbh when I posted it I had checked that the nct was genuine although it had been backdated and hence was only a 6 month test so it was obviously out of test for a while.

It has a low owner count but from colms post I took it to have had supposedly only done 10k miles in 3 and a half years and it looked rough inside for a car that had been supposedly so under used.

The headlights look a touch cloudy too I think Baz pointed that out. Colm mentioned it was "unsaleable" in the trade 3.5 years ago too despite this being a time when is250's were much more desirable than they are now.

Couple all this with the fact that it's for sale again not that long after being sold to the boys in cork and things start to look murky.

I'd view all the above as enough of an excuse to warrant forgetting about buying it. But maybe pm colm for more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-728i/17385190

BMW 728i
    NCT until June 18
    Full main dealer service history
    Asking 2150.00

MzUwNGVkN2ZhYjIyNjdhZjgwYWMwZTJiZjIxYThkYjBisKhnIijbiZVDGX0dQnIEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTkzNTI5Mnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-subaru-forester/17382590

New shape
    Sue Bar Roo Forester
    MAR 18 nct

ZmRhNjViMTVlZjc2YzlmMTE2ZTY1ZTJmMmM5NTExNmL-HKp-jVjTGMUzIg1DHganaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTkxMDE5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

wonski wrote: »
    Had one for 4 years or so and had no issues at all. Call me lucky, but in terms of reliability it was the best car I have owned so far :)

No risk investment in terms of bangeromics imo.

The missus has a '99 Scenic for the past 14 years. Getting a bit rough looking now but totally reliable. Change the coils every now & then when they go faulty & a broken shock is all I can think of. Every year we say we'll get rid of it when it fails the NCT but it hasn't failed yet. Like a van if you pop out the rear seats. Model that came after it is not as good.

T.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-subaru-forester/17382590

New shape
    Sue Bar Roo Forester
    MAR 18 nct

ZmRhNjViMTVlZjc2YzlmMTE2ZTY1ZTJmMmM5NTExNmL-HKp-jVjTGMUzIg1DHganaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTkxMDE5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Doesn't seem bad, mpg is a bit harsh for my liking but my impression is the petrol subarus are reliable, engine management light seems to be on?

He has a few offering s up
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-renault-laguna/17363453

Id be tempted by some of them but for a few reasons, selling them off as not worth standing over?? the lagunas NCT is out since April though it looks nice, but cheap for a reason maybe. Some potential ok cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭thedeere

Seller on the rock and roll and flipping scrappers on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I had a Legacy 4x4 estate, with the 2.2 non turbo engine. Ex. US Postal services wagon. Very reliable and very very well put together, but it never got more than 24 or 25mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ad says: 2 owner from new

Owners on book: 5

Good old tax system I guess

Nice looking car though

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ad says: 2 owner from new

Owners on book: 5

Good old tax system I guess

Nice looking car though

Does the info in the overview and description get pulled from somewhere online? been a while since I sold a car, thought that was just filled in by the owner as you see so many with many blank spaces, ie no details on nct or tax expiry.
    Or where can you get it from? I cant see anything on motortax.ie that looks like you can get it there.

Maybe they updated the comments to show that the car had been in ownership by 2 people and they just sold and re purchased it after they let the tax expire? and it was in the same family? seems odd they would be honest and put 4 owners in the description if they were trying to hide that fact by later saying 2 in the comments unless it is genuine, or maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Selling my BMW 318ci, NCT and serviced
    Linky
    MzAwYTg3OTdiNjkyMTZiMWE5MDdiMzY4ZmJjZTVlMTFWb1DWNGCnj-Abssx2yFDpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTk2MDk5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

VOLVO S80 2.0 TURBO - 1 OWNER - €749

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2-0-turbo-1-owner-long-nct-amp-tax/17174612

Says long NCT and tax, but really isn't. Might be missed as it's in the vintage cars section.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1874 wrote: »
    Does the info in the overview and description get pulled from somewhere online? been a while since I sold a car, thought that was just filled in by the owner as you see so many with many blank spaces, ie no details on nct or tax expiry.
    Or where can you get it from? I cant see anything on motortax.ie that looks like you can get it there.

Maybe they updated the comments to show that the car had been in ownership by 2 people and they just sold and re purchased it after they let the tax expire? and it was in the same family? seems odd they would be honest and put 4 owners in the description if they were trying to hide that fact by later saying 2 in the comments unless it is genuine, or maybe not

No it's pulled from somewhere. Carsireland does it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fresh looking Passat 1.6 FSi €1,950

NCT to June 18; tax expired

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/passat/vw-passat-with-new-nct/14127231

ZGNkYmJkYTQ2ZTkxNDI5YjU5YmNkOGMwNGQ2MTQ3OTbDRrxeWW3HL8CS45SixKgqaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMWI3ZTY2NDliNDI4Y2M1YjA4MzQyOTJmMTkwNmNjMDI2ZDAzMTcwNmNlMWZlOWYwM2NiZjU2NjhmYjdlYjlmNy5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Fresh looking Passat 1.6 FSi €1,950

NCT to June 18; tax expired

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/passat/vw-passat-with-new-nct/14127231

ZGNkYmJkYTQ2ZTkxNDI5YjU5YmNkOGMwNGQ2MTQ3OTbDRrxeWW3HL8CS45SixKgqaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMWI3ZTY2NDliNDI4Y2M1YjA4MzQyOTJmMTkwNmNjMDI2ZDAzMTcwNmNlMWZlOWYwM2NiZjU2NjhmYjdlYjlmNy5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

A clean example alright but a tad on the optimistic side with the price , no ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Selling my BMW 318ci, NCT and serviced
    Linky
    MzAwYTg3OTdiNjkyMTZiMWE5MDdiMzY4ZmJjZTVlMTFWb1DWNGCnj-Abssx2yFDpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTk2MDk5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

It's a sin to have to let that car go for less than a grand. Put it in the shed. I bet that's what the next owner does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement