Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Well worth €500. I had a '96 one of them for three years when I lived in New Zealand, it was called a corolla sprinter liftback. Absolutely great car and only needed regular servicing, original clutch too. I sold it with 330km on the clock for $1000 profit, it literally cost me nothing!
    This was about ten years ago and the truly great thing about that car is the fact that my other half (who is allergic to car chat) will often say "I miss that white corolla"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

.... and gone. Im not surprised. beautiful corolla, and it is not often I get to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

jharr100 wrote: »

I think that model of Octavia has dated really badly, they look like something that wouldn't have been out of place on the set of Minder in 1982. Still, that car is serious value at €650

• Registered Users Posts: 65,428 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Small money, but small NCT. The only reason that car is not sold yet must be there's something wrong / it's rough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,102 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

NGNl_Yz_Q5_MWFm_Ym_Ji_N2_E4_Ym_M2_Njlh_Ym_Y4_NTM4_ZDI4_NDh_OZly-_Tj4_SAg_HF-u_ZZit_ER.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e220-nct-and-taxed-till-next-year/16895289

2 owner 1998 w210 c220cdi
    Seems very well minded considering the 230k miles on the clock and reportedly fully rust protected underneath which is important for w210's
    Test till December 2018
    Tax till the end of June 2018
    Supposedly the sellers fathers car who is/was a mechanic and the add does have a genuine vibe about it so I'd be inclined to believe that.
    (pics at the house, michael moore disc holder, what looks to be a newer merc in the background of pic 1 etc.)
    Asking €1100 and has been for sale a good while and was originally listed at 1450 so its due another price drop which I'm sure a prospective buyer could haggle for.

I like these, it's 50 Shades of Gold though.
    I hate poor mismatched paintwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I am looking for a stop gap car to get through to the new year. I see this S80 has been for sale for a while and am wondering has anyone else looked at it?: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2-0-turbo-1-owner-long-nct-amp-tax/17174612

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

"Long NCT & tax" = 1 month

It's a nice looking car but not for that money.

"Long NCT & tax" = 1 month

It's a nice looking car but not for that money.

500 euro is not a terrible lot of money though, is it? If you got it for 400 and drove it till the end of January it would still be cheap motoring.

Plenty of decent cars in here of around that age with a long NCT for €500. I'm with the Duke here. You could always offer the seller €250 as is or €500 with a new NCT. If he is confident in the car, he might take you up on it (and test the car). If it fails, his problem. You look elsewhere for your next car. If it passes, you both win.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I had one of those back in the day. Lovely place to sit. Not exactly a rocket, but a great commuting car. I put a lot of miles on mine.

EDIT: That one looks very clean, and one owner. Wonder if they have the second key. If you are looking for a cheap, comfortable mile-muncher, it would be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I am looking for a stop gap car to get through to the new year. I see this S80 has been for sale for a while and am wondering has anyone else looked at it?: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2-0-turbo-1-owner-long-nct-amp-tax/17174612

Manual? Bleagh.

I was nearly picking the phone up myself till I saw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Wonder if they have the second key

Did you look at picture 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    Plenty of decent cars in here of around that age with a long NCT for €500. I'm with the Duke here. You could always offer the seller €250 as is or €500 with a new NCT. If he is confident in the car, he might take you up on it (and test the car). If it fails, his problem. You look elsewhere for your next car. If it passes, you both win.

You'd definitely want to get that volvo with a long test. They are not the cheapest cars to put right when things go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I like these, it's 50 Shades of Gold though.
    I hate poor mismatched paintwork

Not sure really is it mismatched though: having a house on one side, a hedge at the other and a fence near the front makes for poor lighting and shadows. In some pics the doors and wing look fine whereas in that particular pic I posted the front drivers wing looks darker but it could be just the way the picture was taken.

The only way to know would be to see it in daylight in a good open space and shur if it did turn out to be slightly mismatched that's a great haggling point which may see the car bought for the value of tax on it

The auto box in them is pretty unreliable truth be told but it does look very clean.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You'd definitely want to get that volvo with a long test. They are not the cheapest cars to put right when things go wrong.

The thing is, I feel I know these cars well and what to look for. The seller said the clutch is fine and it's not hunting at idle (which usually means a failing ETM). I suppose it could need new tyres and suspension work though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-d5/17450750

*Local car to me* (I know the owners son)
    UK import with 2 owners in Ireland
    D5 s60 with test till November 18
    Well looked after and always serviced on the button.
    Asking €800
    Not my place to give out anymore info as the owner didn't ask me to post it here but its a solid car and I've no problem recommending it as it is in fine shape and has lead an easy life over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-d5/17450750

*Local car to me* (I know the owners son)
    2 owner D5 s60 with test till November 18
    Well looked after and always serviced on the button.
    Asking €800
    Not my place to give out anymore info as the owner didn't ask me to post it here but its a solid car and I've no problem recommending it as it is in fine shape and has lead an easy life over the last few years.

An import I'm sure given the reg number, high miles and high tax :( ............ a nice place to be though !!

An import I'm sure given the reg number, high miles and high tax :(

could well be I'm unsure tbh still 210k miles on a 2004 d5 imo shouldn't be too off putting really.
    Edit: Yep Uk import

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-ka-1-3-70-000-km-new-nct-01-19/17163642

MjdlZGU3NjljMjAzZTczMTdjNDM1MWZjNjNjOTRmMmQrY2fAKCkvnwVmdTuvgR0faHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NzkzMjE5Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

07 low mileage Ka with NCT to 2019 €1250. Wouldn't be a bad buy for a grand or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

unkel wrote: »

Thats a wide gap for an NCT, I think an NCT should be par for the course if selling an old car, people saying they would add a pile of cash to it if they get an NCT like they are doing you a favour make it sound like they are convinced something will fail. I wouldnt take it or anything for as is, when it is so handy to just get an NCT, could cost a lot more to sort in the end.
    It makes sense for the seller too, makes it much easier to move a car on quickly and get less offers on a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

To add to that I wouldn't buy a car on the premise of the buyers word that it'll pass the test. Might even seem to drive well and smooth etc but what about costly things that may not be so apparent, emissions, corroded brake lines - which are costly and its far from every garage that'll attack them for you.

Once I had to pick up a headlamp for a 01' Avensis as no matter how my guy adjusted the headlamp he couldn't get it right - it was away off. No bracket broken rather something up with the internal part of the adjuster was concluded. Now it was handy enough for me to replace then as they were 2 a penny in breakers yards but what if its a rarer model (hardly an abundance of 01 model S80's in breakers yards these times unless I'm way off the mark).....well you won't spot that so easily if you come along during the day and if you come along to see it at night your missing so many other potential issues.

End of the day no seller is going to tell me it'll pass the NCT; will fly through the test baldhy bladhy blah etc.rolleyes.png The only person who will tell me that (or not) is the NCT tester on the day of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

After that spheel it would be rude not to post a car;

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-toyota-avensis-nct-04-18-tax-03-18/17453925

Frosty 07 Avensis D4D liftback;
    NCT to 04/18 (bit short for my liking) but taxed to 03/18 softens the blow!
    Mileage of 125k miles (assuming the seller isin't marking in miles as km).
    Asking €900,
    Not to everyones taste but make a decent family car for the money if alls in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-toyota-avensis-nct-04-18-tax-03-18/17453925

Asking €900,
    Not to everyones taste but make a decent family car for the money if alls in order.

Very easy tell them photo's are fresh too ....... frosty !!

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

+1

My FIL bought a '02 one in '06 for a very good price back then. Still has it. It has proven to be a very reliable car and he's had his local backstreet mechanic service it regularly, but even so it hasn't been the cheapest car to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Asking €900,

Just to point out there's a nice size dent on the passenger side and the mirror is being held up with tape. Mightn't be obvious with the frost on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just to point out there's a nice size dent on the passenger side and the mirror is being held up with tape. Mightn't be obvious with the frost on the car.

There is also a very sinister looking white pussy in the 1st pic....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-volkswagen-golf-1-9-tdi/16462923

Nice lil A-B car for small money
    NCT 4/3/18
    Timing belt just done

MGU1NzhjMDkyYWNiMDZlOWQ0NzQ4NzEzYTg4M2FiZjElDApjK2G9hqoAh3kt473baHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MDY3NTAzN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement