Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

martyc5674 wrote: »
    or anything 15 years old that seem to attract a huge insurance bill.

I'm driving a 1998 Jap import Levin BZ-R and I'm paying the least I ever paid on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I'm driving a 1998 Jap import Levin BZ-R and I'm paying the least I ever paid on a car.

Well mine has gone through the roof last few years... was around 300 for fully comp for years ... it has crept steadily last few years and is over 1100 now. (Didn’t pay it, can’t justify it as don’t need car that much)I’ve had my own policy 21 years full license for 20 and never had an incident.
    Insurance brokers are telling me that over 10 years there a loading, over 12 it goes up again and over 15 another jump and some won’t even entertain you. I’m guessing others are hearing the same hence steering clear of cars over 10 years of age.
    I think it’s total bull BTW... I’ve a car in the yard that I want to keep on the road but tax and insurance are 2k so I’ve to look for something else and probably scrap my own car which.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nearly at bangernomics money but i think the 2 year nct and cheap tax make up for that. the only downside is the high mileage

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-vw-jetta-nct-for-next-2-yrs-until-dec-2019/17495339#xtor=EPR-4-%5BsearchAlert%5D-20171213-%5BviewMatchingAd%5D-2718206@1

ZGYyYmIyNzk3MzA4MGQyNGRmNjM5OTkwYTFiOGVmYmR8u9n3Yzu7K1DdjW0ZqVmPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDgxMjQzMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,428 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No way he'll accept €2k for that, it's already suspiciously cheap. So it doesn't belong in here really. That said, it's an amazing find for the money. I'm not up to speed with the different flavours of the VAG 1.9 diesel engine. Is this one of the better ones or one that gives trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I love how this advert starts of all SHOUTY and ends with needs new engine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A two year NCT for an '08 vehicle?

Is that correct? I thought only a one year NCT would be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they did the nct early. presumably it was due in January or February. If they had waited until it was due they would only get 1 year. by doing it before the car turns 10 years old they get 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It's not 10 years old until next yer.

they did the nct early. presumably it was due in January or February. If they had waited until it was due they would only get 1 year. by doing it before the car turns 10 years old they get 2 years.

Thanks ...... that does seem rather an odd way to administer things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

grogi wrote: »
    Needs new engine. Probably the Nikasil cylinder lining...

It's immaculate though... :rolleyes:

That sorta stuff drives me nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    No way he'll accept €2k for that, it's already suspiciously cheap. So it doesn't belong in here really. That said, it's an amazing find for the money. I'm not up to speed with the different flavours of the VAG 1.9 diesel engine. Is this one of the better ones or one that gives trouble?

They all give some bit of trouble. Headgaskets and camshaft lobe wear for example. I think you are referring to the bxe engine with the conrod issue though which would have been fitted to that car but it's something that can be avoided with preventive maintenance. It having a bxe engine would not scare me away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would you really go to all that trouble on a cheap car though? Fairly hefty bill for that albeit preferable to a busted engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I don't think it's suspiciously cheap is it? They are less desirable than a Golf and the mileage is a bit high.

Probably be a decent car, definitely belongs on thread IMO, even if you can't get the price all the way down to €2k.

Be very hard to go wrong with that is say. Bodywork looks tidy, looks like a highline and full main dealer history.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,102 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d/17497866

BMW 730
    NCT Aug 18 150 kms

Could probably tax for a year and sell in a year for 2500 with a valet.

NWMzZDFkMzgyODYzOWQ5NzRhNjllNzQxMTQ3MGJmYzK6ZDfORMmTWkmQOXl1kXZLaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDgzNTMwMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,428 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

9 owners. Plus probably a few owners in the UK before that. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I don't think it's suspiciously cheap is it? They are less desirable than a Golf and the mileage is a bit high.

Probably be a decent car, definitely belongs on thread IMO, even if you can't get the price all the way down to €2k.

Be very hard to go wrong with that is say. Bodywork looks tidy, looks like a highline and full main dealer history.

I tend to agree with you... they are less desirable than golf/Passat and the slightly high mileage will put a lot off.
    Certainly more worthy of a spot in bangernomics than some of the large early 2000 cars posted here with V6’s, or even that Jag above that anyone on a budget simply couldn’t afford to run(legally!)
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d/17497866

BMW 730
    NCT Aug 18 150 kms

Stunning car alright, would love a go in one for a year, but the car is too troublesome, and i cant believe that there is only 150k miles on it. whats the point in buying a big diesel - its for high mileage. 150k is an average of ~ 11k per year, or 15k per owner. plausible if it were a big engine petrol car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭selectamatic

They are less desirable than a Golf and the mileage is a bit high.

Perhaps on a whole if compared to 3dr well spec'd mk5's but I'd be of the opinion that
    Jettas are much easier sell at the minute and spec for spec they tend to make much better money than a 1.9 5dr mk5 golf or 1.9 Passats.

However both Passats and golfs were much better sellers when new. I suppose this has effected resale value now as the market is saturated with them.

Them jettas very easy insure for young people too especially compared to Passats or golfs of the same age.

Extremely popular with agrispec men too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Squatman wrote: »
    Stunning car alright, would love a go in one for a year, but the car is too troublesome, and i cant believe that there is only 150k miles on it. whats the point in buying a big diesel - its for high mileage. 150k is an average of ~ 11k per year, or 15k per owner. plausible if it were a big engine petrol car

Each to their own.

One of the ugliest BMW's ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e280cdi-nctd-taxed-2006/17465574
    Big diesel e class
    Something I'd definitely drive myself ..

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-sportback-tax-and-test/17459037

AUDI A3 2005
    SPORTBACK. TAX AND TEST
    Nct Aug 18
    Tax 7/18

NTYxNTM3Yjk4YTU3YzViMjllODFhZTlkNjg1MmFkMDdHWb__Aj7lDAn6DwAf4IetaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDUzODgzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/smart-roadster-coupe/17501010

SMART ROADSTER COUPE
    nct Feb18
    Maybe 2k in this weather.

ZTE2MzMyYjAzMjdhMmJhZDYxZTczY2Q1MDU1MDc0M2QzKiAq3p1EwPTptBr30deSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDg3MjM1OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I love the quirkiness of that Coupé :D

If only ......
    Despite a projected break even of only 8-10,000 units per year, first year sales almost doubled this estimate. However, some Smart Roadsters leaked and production ceased due to the warranty work and other costs reaching an average of €3000 per vehicle. While a critical success, the Smart Roadster was, due to these costs, an economic failure for the company.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Roadster

Jetta are quite popular with country folk and young lads. It has high mileage but still has de chape tax going for it.

AUDI A3 2005
    SPORTBACK. TAX AND TEST
    Nct Aug 18
    Tax 7/18

NTYxNTM3Yjk4YTU3YzViMjllODFhZTlkNjg1MmFkMDdHWb__Aj7lDAn6DwAf4IetaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDUzODgzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

"Needs a service" is usually an indicator that it's not running right. Nice that it's one owner, but I get the impression the seller isn't that person.

Edit, purchased by a dealer 27/11

2.0 petrol would be unusual on those.

What's unusual too is that it's down on motortax system as 1968cc, which is what the diesel is. The 2.0 FSI would be 1984cc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

colm_mcm wrote: »

AUDI A3 2005
    SPORTBACK. TAX AND TEST
    Nct Aug 18
    Tax 7/18

"Needs a service" is usually an indicator that it's not running right. Nice that it's one owner, but I get the impression the seller isn't that person.

Edit, purchased by a dealer 27/11

2.0 petrol would be unusual on those.

how did you know purchased by dealer?

1874 wrote: »
    how did you know purchased by dealer?

Motortax.ie

Seller also has 5 cars for sale. My guess is that they bought it from the dealer as a trade car. Seller has a number of other ads in Polish and apparently works in a car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Keep telling yourself that until you go to sell it in a years time.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-3-1-4l-petrol/17501771
    2004 Mazda 3 5dr;
    1.4 litre;
    NCT 06/18; Taxed 02/18
    132k miles;
    Can see a wee bit of rust on the front wheel arch, most likely superficial, but looks in good order as and aside and motor tax not severe;
    Asking €1,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would you really go to all that trouble on a cheap car though? Fairly hefty bill for that albeit preferable to a busted engine.

What trouble? Changing the bottom end bearings is not really a big job or an expensive job and on a 2k car id definitely get it done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement