Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What trouble? Changing the bottom end bearings is not really a big job or an expensive job and on a 2k car id definitely get it done.

Which car are ye on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Which car are ye on about?

1.9 TDI BXE
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What trouble? Changing the bottom end bearings is not really a big job or an expensive job and on a 2k car id definitely get it done.

how many hours would you say it'd take a mechanic to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've a weakness for the Smart Roadster. Very cool car :cool:

If only it was 15 years old...

And didn't leak...

And had a much longer NCT...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    1.9 TDI BXE

how many hours would you say it'd take a mechanic to do it?

I'd reckon a good days work anyway.
    Besides what preventative measures could you take? Replace the big end? Replace the bolts connecting to the conrod as they are probably worn?
    Seems the bls is also affected.
    Conrod would probably give you a seconds warning before going and you'd want to pray you aren't at speed.
    Old school pd would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd reckon a good days work anyway.
    Besides what preventative measures could you take? Replace the big end? Replace the bolts connecting to the conrod as they are probably worn?
    Seems the bls is also affected.
    Conrod would probably give you a seconds warning before going and you'd want to pray you aren't at speed.
    Old school pd would be best.
    The bottom end bearings would only take a few hours to do at the most. That's the only preventive maintenance needed. It's the bearing chipping and disintegrating that causes the issue.

The conrod will be fine until the bearings fail so no need to change any of that or any bolts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's a slightly more practical Smart ForFour, €1950 with long NCT til August 2018.
    OGFlZjJmOTZiNGViZGExZTI1MGFjMTY2NGE1YmM4ZTf4Wu6HHj0ZwpDEq30mIH1RaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTY2NDgxMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

unkel wrote: »
    I've a weakness for the Smart Roadster. Very cool car :cool:

If only it was 15 years old...

And didn't leak...

And had a much longer NCT...

I've always had a hankering for one, no idea why... Do a fair bit of driving though and am very fond of my bangernomics x-type...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a3-sportback-tax-and-test/17459037

AUDI A3 2005
    SPORTBACK. TAX AND TEST
    Nct Aug 18
    Tax 7/18

NTYxNTM3Yjk4YTU3YzViMjllODFhZTlkNjg1MmFkMDdHWb__Aj7lDAn6DwAf4IetaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDUzODgzM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

50mpg :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Here's a slightly more practical Smart ForFour, €1950 with long NCT til August 2018.
    OGFlZjJmOTZiNGViZGExZTI1MGFjMTY2NGE1YmM4ZTf4Wu6HHj0ZwpDEq30mIH1RaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184OTY2NDgxMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

It doesn't have the appeal/looks of the coupé :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/smart-roadster-coupe/17501010

SMART ROADSTER COUPE
    nct Feb18
    Maybe 2k in this weather.

[/IMG]

I don't think that coupill ever lose value and will always be worth the asking price , a bit like old MG midgets.

I drove one for a couple of days , great yoke , but I'd love to put a hayabusa engine in one .

However they can be very electronically problematic, especially with steering wheel angle sensors and the like and have awkward diagnostics , which used to need the full Mercedes works package to read.
    So expensive Mercedes runnning cost on a run a round .
    Maybe Internet forums and aftermarket parts makers have these issues sorted now, but these smarts need serious commitment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 36,103 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Short NCT and "sold as seen" would be off putting and the tax being nearly as much as the asking price would also put a lot of people off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Already gone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

€170, NCT to sometime in April 2018

Short NCT and "sold as seen" would be off putting and the tax being nearly as much as the asking price would also put a lot of people off it.

I don't think you're taking full consideration of the 1900 € price and the fact it's the later model coupé. It's Fine to be cribbing if you had triple the budget for peace of mind or maybe not as the case maybe , a dearer one might have issues too except the money is already spent upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Is that not suspiciously cheap? Yeah the tax is steep on the 325 but even taking that into consideration I'd have thought that car would still be worth like twice the current asking?

Is that not suspiciously cheap? Yeah the tax is steep on the 325 but even taking that into consideration I'd have thought that car would still be worth like twice the current asking?

That was part of my point with the "sold as seen" bit in the ad. I'd be wary of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

That was part of my point with the "sold as seen" bit in the ad. I'd be wary of it.

It does look a very cheap car, but almost too good to be true at that money. An independent trader (such as the one selling it) would retail that with a warranty if it was in reasonable order I'm sure. There has to be something lurking beneath the surface?

• Advertisement

It does look a very cheap car, but almost too good to be true at that money. An independent trader (such as the one selling it) would retail that with a warranty if it was in reasonable order I'm sure. There has to be something lurking beneath the surface?

Cheap 325i Sold now anyway, surprise suprise.

that's the real point of bangernomics, buy a good car cheap , tidy it up for little or no money and sell on for the same or better price 6 months or a year later. If a trader gets a trade in on a good margin car they sometimes like to move it on that day cheap and close off the deal , especially end of month or before holidays and Christmas and the like , been happening for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Lads I'm looking for some advice on a 07 s60 d5 slightly over the banger price, has nct and history can be gotten from previous main dealer garage, but no tax. Took it out for a test spin on Sat and it drives very good.

Seller has the old nct certs too so all good. The service light is on the dashboard, and he told me he has done the oil himself and would have to pay to get the service light off. Is there a way around that or would it be cheeky to ask him for proof like a receipt for the oil.

Timing belt was done at main dealer also.

Is there anything to look out for on them specifically.

It's going to need four new tyres also, and it's beige leather interior needs a full restoration job done (a bit dark).

Do you want to knock off the service light yourself? Its easy.

1. Insert key in to ignition but don't turn it yet.

2. Press and Hold the odometer trip counter reset button.

3. Turn ignition switch to "run" position (Position II)

4. After Service light flashes, release odometer reset button.

5. Turn ignition off.

6.Turn ignition back on to confirm reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Lads I'm looking for some advice on a 07 s60 d5 slightly over the banger price, has nct and history can be gotten from previous main dealer garage, but no tax. Took it out for a test spin on Sat and it drives very good.

Seller has the old nct certs too so all good. The service light is on the dashboard, and he told me he has done the oil himself and would have to pay to get the service light off. Is there a way around that or would it be cheeky to ask him for proof like a receipt for the oil.

Timing belt was done at main dealer also.

Is there anything to look out for on them specifically.

It's going to need four new tyres also, and it's beige leather interior needs a full restoration job done (a bit dark).

If one knows how to change the oil, but doesn't know how to reset the reminder I would service it myself after the purchase.

A receipt proves nothing anyway, could be for another car.

I normally change oil regardless of the history. Doesn't cost much and leaves me with a peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

If it has the golf ball gear stick then buy it no matter what :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/nissan-sunny/17534080

ZjQ0ZmFmZDdiZGZiYTU1YTdiNjVmNGQwNTQxMzZjMTWxj3uWzNiCbW32gmOeFffhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTE0MDM4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I had one of these and it was a great car. A bit unsightly, but NCT'd till the end of July 2018 for €350.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-tt/17535727

NWNmYjY0YTViMzRiMWExMzg5MTAzM2M2MTZmZTQzMjkrtP3Sm-osM487bLYt57OnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTE1NTEwOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

No spoiler! And a very early one at that. NCT 9/18 €1150 (yes its only 180bhp but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,103 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/nissan-sunny/17534080

ZjQ0ZmFmZDdiZGZiYTU1YTdiNjVmNGQwNTQxMzZjMTWxj3uWzNiCbW32gmOeFffhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTE0MDM4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I had one of these and it was a great car. A bit unsightly, but NCT'd till the end of July 2018 for €350.

Whats unsightly about that? moderately quirky, I'll probably put half that money into my car current to keep it going. I'd be tempted, looks clean enough, I wonder is there something not so visible, other halfs jap import car is approaching 16 years and is spotless, I'm tempted by a jap auto myself, if I can get anything with cruise control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-tt/17535727

NWNmYjY0YTViMzRiMWExMzg5MTAzM2M2MTZmZTQzMjkrtP3Sm-osM487bLYt57OnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTE1NTEwOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

No spoiler! And a very early one at that. NCT 9/18 €1150 (yes its only 180bhp but still)

If I had somewhere to keep it, Id give this a shot.

I know nothing about BMW's, mostly not my thing, some ok, this looks clean, on the sides you can see, plenty of views missing. I keep reading about this or that engine to avoid, petrol, Im presuming timing belt? interval? what to watch for, looking moderately dated, but clean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement