Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote 4 g antenna

• 15-04-2017 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi I live 4 miles west of kk city, with little or no 4g coverage. if I went 100m up the hill I'd get 4 g or possibly line of sight to imagines mount Nugent site.....planning permission aside is this possible/feasible technically? I'd be planning on putting up a pole and installing equipment on it....stuck with satellite at moment, which is ok but expensive....help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How about something like a Teltonika Outdoor 4G router with power over Ethernet to limit the cabling required.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chah

Graham wrote: »
    How about something like a Teltonika Outdoor 4G router with power over Ethernet to limit the cabling required.

Hi thanks for that. So in lay mans terms is that a piece of kit that would bounce the signal onto another piece of kit on my house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Do you own the land you're thinking of?
    Is there power anywhere nearby?
    It's definitely possible.

I'd agree with Graham that a Teltonika router is a good place to start if you can get even a sniff of 4G.
    After that beam the signal to your house over wifi, and then connect the receiver to a standard wifi router in the house which you probably already have. To get the best speeds down to the house you might want to use a pair of directional outdoor access points from a manufacturer like Ubiquiti, though at a pinch you could use the wireless on the teltonika as one end of that link - that would save on power requirements too. You could run it from a car battery and a regulator if you could get up to swap and charge once or twice a week.

Looking like:

4G Router -> wifi link from pole to house -> wifi network in house.

It's not exactly bouncing the signal to another piece of kit.
    It's receiving an internet connection over 4G and then passing on the connection over wifi which is what you use to connect your home wireless network.

niallb wrote: »
    Do you own the land you're thinking of?
    Is there power anywhere nearby?
    It's definitely possible.

I'd agree with Graham that a Teltonika router is a good place to start if you can get even a sniff of 4G.
    After that beam the signal to your house over wifi, and then connect the receiver to a standard wifi router in the house which you probably already have. To get the best speeds down to the house you might want to use a pair of directional outdoor access points from a manufacturer like Ubiquiti, though at a pinch you could use the wireless on the teltonika as one end of that link - that would save on power requirements too. You could run it from a car battery and a regulator if you could get up to swap and charge once or twice a week.

Looking like:

4G Router -> wifi link from pole to house -> wifi network in house.

It's not exactly bouncing the signal to another piece of kit.
    It's receiving an internet connection over 4G and then passing on the connection over wifi which is what you use to connect your home wireless network.

Father in law's land so no probs there. Power is approx 75m away.....would the signal from the teltonika router to the house be reliable (assuming clear line of sight? I'm guessing I'd need antenna on house too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd be tempted to run Ethernet from the house to the pole to be honest. One less wireless link to faff about with.

Haven't checked if the Teltonika router supports power over Ethernet. If it does happy days, power and Ethernet over the same wire to the pole.

• Advertisement

If you have use of the land all the way to the receiver, a cable will give a better connection and can also carry power making the setup much simpler.

Try it wireless for a while at first if you can though, as it will allow you to move the device more easily to get a good spot!
    Bit of a sickener digging a trench and cabling up only to find that you get twice the speed 30m away. If you've already got a position for the pole tested and decided it's not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm just about to set up a 4G Huawei b593s-22 with PoE. The Huawei b593s-22 has no built in PoE capablilty but I'm using an old 48volt PoE box at the base and at the b593s end a D-Link DWL-P50 which splits the Data and Power reducing the voltage back down to 12V.

Graham wrote: »

Haven't checked if the Teltonika router supports power over Ethernet. If it does happy days, power and Ethernet over the same wire to the pole.

I have the Teltonika RUT950, and it supports a 24V passive POE injector.
    Great routers. I got mine through Rural Wifi.

I have the Teltonika RUT950, and it supports a 24V passive POE injector.
    Great routers. I got mine through Rural Wifi.

I wouldn't want to promise anyone that that will work with 100m of cable.

my3cents wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to promise anyone that that will work with 100m of cable.
    Very unlikely at a full 100m :D, but passive POE can be run off car batteries closer to the device and the main cable run just feed into the LAN port on the injector, so it could still help in setting things up more conveniently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 TomMurphy64

Hi Chah - I have exactly the same issue. I would worry that running an ethernet cable over that distance wouldn't work. The point to point transmission would be a better option. For me for now to make sure it all works, I have a temporary mains power ran out to a tree at the end of my garden which has a line of sight to a 4G mast. In the tree I have a 4G router in a weather proof box. I also have a TL-WPA4220KIT Internet Extender in the box which sends the internet over the mains power with the sister transmitter in the house. It works okay. I am getting about 50 Meg directly off the router at the end of the garden but only about 20 Meg by the time it gets into the house but that is still 20 times faster than what I was getting over the copper connection. If it all works I will put in something more permanent such as the point to point transmission but I am waiting to see what effect summer has with leafs on trees etc and if we are likely to get fibre through the new scheme any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

@Chah:
    Imagine 4G is not 4G in the sense of a mobile phone provider like Three or Vodafone.
    It requires an Imagine installed and provided router, you can't just go out and buy a 4G router and get a SIM from Imagine.

You will need 240V power at the pole to power, at the minimum, Imagine's CPE and then you may as well power your own kit off the mains as well. You'll also need a water and weather proof box to house everything inside which is accessible from ground level (for Imagine install).

Assuming you can get mains power to the pole, next step is how to get from the pole to your house...
    The maximum distance for data signalling on Ethernet is 100 metres length in a single run.
    Can you get from the pole to your house in <100m Ethernet?
    If you can, that's your easiest and most reliable way to do it.

If no, then you'll need to backhaul your internet over a wireless point to point link.
    (I would leave your Father-In-Law's house out of the equation in terms of Ethernet cabling as, if you were running an Ethernet cable between your house and the FIL, for safety, you'll have to ground the installation as it's quite likely your FIL's house and your own house are on different ESB phases.)

The most reliable way to set up the wireless point to point from pole to house is to use a directional access point such as a Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 or MikroTik SXT Lite5, rather than an omni-directional like a typical WiFi router is. One on the pole, pointing at the house - one on the house, pointing back at the pole.
    You could just use a standard WiFi router on the pole but bear in mind you'll be getting interference from any other WiFi networks around that the router can "see" (and being high up on a pole it'll have a fairly good range of reception). You'll also be losing much of the WiFi signal from the router on the pole because it's broadcasting it out in every direction when you only actually want it at the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

Imagine is only one possible option for the OP.
    All other responses here are for any other 4G mobile services.

Imagine must install the hardware themselves if that is the choice,
    and they will almost definitely want a 240V power supply at the install point.

Hi all, I got a lil overwhelmed with the responses and did nothing & stuck to my satellite...but it's annoying the hell out of us now so back on this....is there any person/company who would do a survey / install for me. I've switched plan to putting equipment on a column of a farm shed (30m away)... But not sure how well it'd work. Quite happy to pay for good advice, survey & install.
    Thanks guys

I would have thought Eir had land line broadband in your area?

If you have a good high point you could check and see if any of the Wireless Broadband providers in the area want to put in their own mast on your site to supply you and other people around you?

Happy New Year!
    First question: Do you have power at the shed?

I would have thought Eir had land line broadband in your area?

If you have a good high point you could check and see if any of the Wireless Broadband providers in the area want to put in their own mast on your site to supply you and other people around you?

Landline broadband at pitiful speeds.

Happy New Year!
    First question: Do you have power at the shed?

Hi , there are lights in shed so yes

If you mounted a 3G/4G router in a waterproof enclosure on the outside of the shed would you get a connection (will worry about connecting this to the house if the answer is yes).

• Advertisement

If you mounted a 3G/4G router in a waterproof enclosure on the outside of the shed would you get a connection (will worry about connecting this to the house if the answer is yes).

Not quite sure but I reckon so because I get pretty good phone signal when I'm up the fields at that height...is it a case of getting up to the connection point and leaving a dongle up there for few hours and ping test it or what??

If you have a phone with the company you want to try then you can just check signal strength. Anything better than 2 bars out of 5 or 40% would be OK, obviously more is better.

My 4G connection with three is now fairly reliable with 2 bars.

What I would do is as I suggested earlier put a wireless access point connected to the 3G/4G device with a decent antenna on it then another wireless device with an antenna back at the house.

That essentially is my setup.

Advertisement