Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old scanner new Tablet&PC

Options
  • 15-04-2017 12:56pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an old slimline umax scanner. It's about 15 years old. It is usb powered.

I can run it on an old laptop with xp. I can't run it on my newer 64bit equipment.

No new firmware/drivers available. Any ideas on how or if it can be got running on new pc or windows tablet, both running windows 10?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Is there still "compatability mode" in W10? Or maybe XP in a virtual machine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Is there still "compatability mode" in W10? Or maybe XP in a virtual machine.

I couldn't find comparability mode in the menu section, so just now did a search and was prompted to troubleshoot a compatibility problem. I did that and now I have the software loading on my tablet. That's a step forward. I am not near scanner now. I will report back when I try it. Thanks for prompt.

I have never used nor know anything about virtual machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

If you could boot the old XP laptop on linux with the scanner set up under sane,
    you could use sanewinds on your newer machines to scan from it over the network.

It doesn't need much computer power on the machine its plugged in to,
    and people have managed to put old scanners on a network using just a Raspberry Pi.
    Might that be an approach you'd have a go at?

niallb wrote: »
    If you could boot the old XP laptop on linux with the scanner set up under sane,
    you could use sanewinds on your newer machines to scan from it over the network.

It doesn't need much computer power on the machine its plugged in to,
    and people have managed to put old scanners on a network using just a Raspberry Pi.
    Might that be an approach you'd have a go at?

Thanks. Network won't work for me. I need it to go around to relatives houses to archive old photos. I could bring my old laptop, but would prefer to use my windows 10 tablet.

I am going to try booting tablet from ununru thumb drive, but I don't expect much luck getting scanner to work that way either. Time will tell. Any other ideas?

Wearb wrote: »
    I couldn't find comparability mode in the menu section, so just now did a search and was prompted to troubleshoot a compatibility problem. I did that and now I have the software loading on my tablet. That's a step forward. I am not near scanner now. I will report back when I try it. Thanks for prompt.

I have never used nor know anything about virtual machine.

No go in compatibility mode. Getting "open ds driver error"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you want to try the virtual machine route, find your CPU model, from system properties, google it and check does it support "virtualization". VMWare player is a free software to do it (there are others). You'll need an XP .iso to install it into the VM

Wearb wrote: »
    I need it to go around to relatives houses to archive old photos... prefer to use my windows 10 tablet... Any other ideas?
    Archiving old photographs only happens once and getting the best quality you can is in everybody's interest. You'll be putting a lot of time into this I guess.
    Ask the relatives for a contribution to getting a modern scanner that will work with your tablet.
    The Canon LiDE 220 is light, inexpensive and will work with windows 10.

If you mean Ubuntu USB drive, give it a go. It might "just work"!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

100%.

You'll spend at least 200hrs doing this kinda work. Even at minimum wage that's €2000 worth of work. A €250 flatbed is a small investment.

niallb wrote: »
    If you mean Ubuntu USB drive, give it a go. It might "just work"!

I have spent a good few hours at it, but can't get it to boot from USB ununtu.

Starting to think I may have loaded 32 bt ubuntu instead of 64.

Also starting to think that there isn't enough power from tablet. Led on scanner lights when plugged into pc but not tablet.

• Advertisement

Just to wrap this up for now. I have been trying without success to get my Linx tablet (running on Windows 10) to boot from usb without success. I am giving up on it for the time being, as I have already spent too much time at it. I may have another go in the future. but I am not sure that there is enough power at the usb anyway. When I plug scanner into PC (W10 also) an led lights on it (scanner not working on pc either). No such light from tablet.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I have a Canon MP270 that I could donate to you that might work. Shoot me a PM.

Gyck wrote: »
    I have a Canon MP270 that I could donate to you that might work. Shoot me a PM.

Thanks for your very kind offer, but as you will see from my first post, I am not really stuck as I can use mine with my old laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

No problem and good luck with the scanning.

Advertisement