Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting/Repotting Tomatoes

Options
  • 15-04-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've been looking online about the best time to repot tomato plants and have found some conflicting information. Some saying to transplant much earlier than others. I have some photos attached of my plants so far, would these be ready to be repotted? They were started in the current pots they are in, which are about 9cm in diameter, as seeds and would be going into 15cm pots. The true leaves are getting big now but I want to be sure before doing it, They are all between 4.5 and 5 inches tall, i've read some sources saying this is a good time to do it and others which say to wait a bit longer. I'll be planting the stems down under soil as deep as the bottom leaves. There are different varieties but I've attached pictures the biggest plants of each. About 6 weeks since they were planted as seeds now.

Also when would be a good time to start feeding them tomato feed? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I would leave them alone for a few more weeks
    What I do is keep an eye under the pot, and when you see the roots poking out, then it's time to move them on.

The Tomato Feed bottle says to start feeding when the first truss is formed, until then just plenty of water.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GuitarTown

martinn123 wrote: »
    I would leave them alone for a few more weeks
    What I do is keep an eye under the pot, and when you see the roots poking out, then it's time to move them on.

The Tomato Feed bottle says to start feeding when the first truss is formed, until then just plenty of water.
    Good Luck.

Great stuff, thanks for the reply. It's my first time doing them by seed so still figuring it out as I go along a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

You could actually repot them in the same pots now but make sure they are buried a bit deeper..
    They are slight bit "leggy" so that would benefit them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Id leave them a bit longer, they are very thin looking, are they getting enough sun and nutrition, maybe the camera? would normally expect them to be looking more green and bushy, yours look a bit leggy and yellowish.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

They do look very small for 6 weeks. I wouldn't pot them on tbh. Although I'd be wondering why they haven't grown more in that time.

I have plants over a foot tall in 9cm pots and I can nearly see them growing so the pot size is definitely not restricting them!

• Advertisement

I was thinking that myself that they were quite small for 6 weeks. I was expecting them to be a lot bigger by now. They're planted in the john innes seed compost and get plenty of water. They get moved as well from whats like a greenhouse in the porch to the other side of the house when the sun goes to that side and they have plastic bottles over them to act as mini greenhouses, so I'm not sure what I'd be doing wrong there for them to be only the size they are

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

From your pics,I would say they are
    'forced' too much!
    Cut out the cloches and try to harden them up, also a slight feed would do them no harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

GuitarTown wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself that they were quite small for 6 weeks. I was expecting them to be a lot bigger by now. They're planted in the john innes seed compost and get plenty of water. They get moved as well from whats like a greenhouse in the porch to the other side of the house when the sun goes to that side and they have plastic bottles over them to act as mini greenhouses, so I'm not sure what I'd be doing wrong there for them to be only the size they are

I started mine in small cells and potted them on to 9cm pots after 4-6 weeks. They would have been much stronger than yours at that stage though.

I have done similar to yourself except I didn't cover them at any stage. Also they stay in the house for the most part. It would want to be a fairly warm day for me to move them to greenhouse.

Sorry should've said when they get moved they stay indoors but just get put at a window the other side of the house to catch the sun there. Maybe i'll take off the bottles so and get a feed and see if that helps a bit.

I also have some courgettes and salad leaves coming along quite well but some of the peppers I have are slow growers, they were planted the same time as the tomatoes but are a bit smaller than them.

I'll just see how it goes over the next couple of weeks :)

So things seem to have gotten worse over the last couple of days. I took on some advice and just topped up the current pots a bit with soil as to help support the more leggy plants. They seemed to be managing alright but then some of the leaves started wilting a bit, some of these it's not true leaves so I figured that would happen anyways but on others its some of the actual leaves an they seem to be rolling up a bit to varying degrees. I've attached some photos, is this saveable or does it look like I'll be needing to start again from scratch?

414967.jpg

414968.jpg

414969.jpg

414970.jpg

414971.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm sad to say that looks a little like blight, I would snip off the yellowing and curling leaves and throw them in the bin and hope for the best.
    It clould also simply be scorching from freshly being watered and in direct sunlight, time will tell.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm sad to say that looks a little like blight, I would snip off the yellowing and curling leaves and throw them in the bin and hope for the best.
    It clould also simply be scorching from freshly being watered and in direct sunlight, time will tell.

I'll give that a go so and see how it goes, keeping fingers crossed. It's not on all of them anyway so that's something at least and I did plant more than I needed in case some didn't come on so it may be alright in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Sorry to see / hear that !

I thin you shoud step back and see what was the difference between the seeds / plants that survived or grew normal VS the ones that ave been somehow affected . Could be soil,light,water,seeds,temperature / position of the pots and not lastly,the touch of God !
    Change those parameters and see if that makes any difference AND you will know how to dont do it for next year ! ?

I attach my tomatoes,planted from seeds,four different varieties, on Patrick's Day and taken outside for the "outside shock" experience, just last week.
    I can say that outside,in the greenhouse, they are doing much much better,in the last couple of days becoming taller,stronger and greener !

415001.jpg

415002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KhyrieLiam

Maybe its the position of the posts. you need to adjust it where there is enough light. Right place for them is in the greenhouse.

Are you possibly over-watering them?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

Not sure if you still want some input to this but if you started them in seed compost it won't feed them for long. Once the true leaves appear they need a stronger compost. I'd pot them on a little deeper than they were - the hairs on the stems will make more roots I am led to believe - which will strengthen up ap bit too. I need to check on my own now after reading your posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Are you possibly over-watering them?

Hi just on a related note I just moved my tomatoes (and cucumber plants) from small pots to a bigger one. How often are you supposed to be watering them? Always worried about over watering.

Hi just on a related note I just moved my tomatoes (and cucumber plants) from small pots to a bigger one. How often are you supposed to be watering them? Always worried about over watering.

In my experience tomatoes are very thirsty plants, pretty much impossible to overwater as long as there isnt mould growing as a result. Feed once a week. Personally i let the soil dry out a bit then water again, dont leave it sodden all the time.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

So a bit of an update on them. One or two have just totally wilted and died but most of them are doing alright now. I think it could have been because they were in the bottles maybe or else getting a bit over watered during the topping up of the soil. After taking thee bottles off and cutting off the very discoloured and rolled up leaves I let them dry out slightly in and they're still going alright now. They've gotten a little bit greener in the leaves and the newer leaves are still growing so they maybe alright. I planted more than I needed because I feared one or two my not come on etc along the way so glad of that now. I also planted an extra one of each of the three varieties and am not going to put any bottles/clotches over them just to see if that makes any difference to them in the early days or the seedlings. Will try a small amount of tomato feed in the next week or two and hopefully that will help.

A picture comparison of the same plant tuesday

415353.jpg

and now today

415354.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

A bit late to the party, it could be too much heat from the cloches and too much water.

I had my tomatoes in the porch with nothing covering them and I left the porch very slightly open to let some air in and I watered them only when the top of the compost had gone light brown. I seeded them mid February and they are now in 14 inch poly bags in the greenhouse with their third trusses.

You should repot them again and don't be afraid to put them in the ground with soil/ compost right up to a cm from their pilot leaves(the two oval leaves at the bottom of the plant), all the spiky things(very technical) coming out of the stem turn into roots when underground which will really help them grow.

Your early pictures the seedlings look too leggy, this happens if they are reaching for light, I had this problem when I had my seedlings in the attic under the velux windows, if you can put them where they get uniform light they will do better. To harden them off you can put where there is a bit of wind this encourages them to thicken up their stems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Supercell wrote: »
    In my experience tomatoes are very thirsty plants, pretty much impossible to overwater as long as there isnt mould growing as a result. Feed once a week. Personally i let the soil dry out a bit then water again, dont leave it sodden all the time.

Thanks! Sorry for what is prob a very novice question..when you say feed once a week you mean with actual plant feed? And not feed as in water them?

Thanks! Sorry for what is prob a very novice question..when you say feed once a week you mean with actual plant feed? And not feed as in water them?

Yes that would be what he means..

another way of knowing whether they need water is by lifting the pots..the weight will give you a good indication

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Hi

Don't want to hijack the tread but I have tomato questions too so no point starting a new thread.

Mine have grown very big over the last few weeks. I have them in larger pots. I think they're big enough to not have to transplant them again.

I didn't put stakes in when I planted them in these pots. They're now around 2-3ft tall. I'll be leaving them in the pots. They're in a sunroom at the back of the house and they seem to be thriving. Would somthing like this work so I don't damage the roots trying to push something into the soil?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-X-CLIP-ON-PLASTIC-PLANT-POT-TRELLIS-SUPPORT-FOR-CLIMBING-PLANTS-/272275128280?hash=item3f64dcbfd8:g:ZEAAAOSwyQtVx6Je

I'll post pictures tomorrow with more questions. Some of the top leaves are yellowing and I'm not sure if it's from over/under watering.

Wheety wrote: »
    Hi

Don't want to hijack the tread but I have tomato questions too so no point starting a new thread.

Mine have grown very big over the last few weeks. I have them in larger pots. I think they're big enough to not have to transplant them again.

I didn't put stakes in when I planted them in these pots. They're now around 2-3ft tall. I'll be leaving them in the pots. They're in a sunroom at the back of the house and they seem to be thriving. Would somthing like this work so I don't damage the roots trying to push something into the soil?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-X-CLIP-ON-PLASTIC-PLANT-POT-TRELLIS-SUPPORT-FOR-CLIMBING-PLANTS-/272275128280?hash=item3f64dcbfd8:g:ZEAAAOSwyQtVx6Je

I'll post pictures tomorrow with more questions. Some of the top leaves are yellowing and I'm not sure if it's from over/under watering.

That looks very small, tomatoes will grow to around 1.7 meters or so in height (or taller if you don't pinch off at the top)- unless they are the bushy type. If the plants are yellowing try feeding them. Its too early to plant out for another few weeks yet. Dont worry about the roots, once they are that height they are pretty indestructible as long as fed and watered.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Similar to Wheety, I also have a related question and do not wish to hijack thread at all.

I planted six tomato seeds in early March, transplanted to 9cm pots in early April and I notice that a yellow flower has developed here and there on a few of the plants - I presume this is not normal at all at this early stage? They will be ready for potting-on shortly but I am wondering will this issue cause them not to fruit? The variety is an outdoor variety, which I grew successfully last year, for the first time, but I don't remember them flowering at this early stage. I have another six plants, sown four weeks later ready to transplant to 9cm pots at this stage.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

These are our plants:

aum39w6.jpg
    QpxIJMZ.jpg

The yellowing:
    JBInxa5.jpg

First flower buds starting to appear:
    P96dgbu.jpg

Would appreciate any observations/tips. First time growing tomatoes.

We have a bottle of tomoato feed but haven't used it yet. Should we? Or wait until the fruit appears?

Wheety wrote: »
    These are our plants:

aum39w6.jpg
    QpxIJMZ.jpg

The yellowing:
    JBInxa5.jpg

First flower buds starting to appear:
    P96dgbu.jpg

Would appreciate any observations/tips. First time growing tomatoes.

We have a bottle of tomoato feed but haven't used it yet. Should we? Or wait until the fruit appears?

General rule is to start feeding once flowers start to appear...A dose of feed will do them no harm now tho..They are plenty big to take it..

Just get some tall bamboo cane sin hardware store and some clips or soft ties for support...easy:)

Maidhci wrote: »
    Similar to Wheety, I also have a related question and do not wish to hijack thread at all.

I planted six tomato seeds in early March, transplanted to 9cm pots in early April and I notice that a yellow flower has developed here and there on a few of the plants - I presume this is not normal at all at this early stage? They will be ready for potting-on shortly but I am wondering will this issue cause them not to fruit? The variety is an outdoor variety, which I grew successfully last year, for the first time, but I don't remember them flowering at this early stage. I have another six plants, sown four weeks later ready to transplant to 9cm pots at this stage.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Don't worry about flowering; some varieties are earlier than others..give them a feed of tomato feed too

Advertisement