Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some ideas for this area pls

Options
  • 15-04-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

folks,

I've spent a fair bit of time effort and money getting this area cleaned out ( it was covered in a heavy layer of English IVY )

But now because it doesnt get a huge amount of sun light, I am not sure what I can put here.

Does anyone here have any bright ideas we could use ?

Edit, the photo is taken looking from west to east, so the area is at the north end of the garden.

Thanks

x25g5w.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Potkettle

If it's at the North end it's south facing? Why doesn't it get sunlight? House shadow? What do you want from your garden? It looks like kids need it so maybe just lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

it gets a bit of sun but not much as the trees on the right of the pic and house seem to shade it, also in the foreground is a fairly big apple tree

Id be happy enough with grass if I thought it would grow to be honest, but I;ve been told it wont do to lack of sunlight

no experts mind !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most of the gloom seems to be caused by the leylandii on the left, could they be cut back?

this is giving us privacy from the back, its already been trimmed back ( a lot ) to get to where we are. I eont be able to take it back any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Potkettle

I'm sure you've done your googling but here's a list from a very good garden centre I trust.

Oh I can't put a link in. Well Google plants for a shady garden. I love my Japanese maples in the shade: dwarf varieties are a lovely green and glowing pure orange in autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

There's absolutely no reason grass wouldn't grow there. You can get seed specifically for shaded areas. Tbh it looks like it gets some sun too so you've lots of options. Shrubs perennials will all survive there given a bit of TLC

thanks a million folks

I presume Id have to put doen some top soil to get the grass going ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

RobAMerc wrote: »
    thanks a million folks

I presume Id have to put doen some top soil to get the grass going ?

thanks

Good rake of the bare soil and drop the seeds you can sprinkle some topsoil or compost if you wish but not necessary

Advertisement