Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBAC after failure to progress. Over 40.

Options
  • 15-04-2017 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm currently due #2 in Sept. Had to have a CS one week overdue as failed to progress / after failed inductions. Have my first hospital appt in 2wks and wondering whether I'll be given a CS again. I will be 44 when I deliver so not sure if that was a factor in the failed induction. I think it can happen to anyone. I'm kinda inclined to prefer a CS now given my age and the fact that something was awry with me not going into labour last time, I think I'm anxious now about a natural birth. Would I have any say? Do women my age tend to be offered sections more than younger women?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I do know that if you have had one CS they are more inclined to offer it to you if you've already had one. Talk to your consultant about it and I'm sure they'll be able to guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Merkin wrote: »
    I do know that if you have had one CS they are more inclined to offer it to you if you've already had one. Talk to your consultant about it and I'm sure they'll be able to guide you.

Thanks. I never thought I'd say this but I think I'd prefer it now at this stage given things didn't go to plan last time and with a toddler and zero family support, the option of an elective section might be more practical. for anyone I know who's had a section, they have been offered elective sections thereafter. But maybe that's only for private patients, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

73trix wrote: »
    Thanks. I never thought I'd say this but I think I'd prefer it now at this stage given things didn't go to plan last time and with a toddler and zero family support, the option of an elective section might be more practical. for anyone I know who's had a section, they have been offered elective sections thereafter. But maybe that's only for private patients, I don't know.

I had a section last time (baby was breech from 34 weeks so was planned) and the consultant I saw on my first visit this time around pushed for a VBAC, got the full rundown on _all_ the issues there might be with a section versus a natural birth, which is a walk in the park according to her lol
    I wouldn't mind but the three women I know who had natural births around the time I had my section all had complications, one having to have surgery 5 months later to fix the mess they made of her episiotomy!
    I've said "we'll see" to the VBAC question. I'm in your camp, a little apprehensive about labour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

I'm in a similar boat... 3 failed inductions last time so ended up with a c section... baby ended up in nicu for 9 days because of it..... hubby wants me to go straight for section but I'm thinking if I have a 2 year old (who is VERY much a mammys girl) it's a whole different story this time round........ but then I think sure I could go through the same crap again - and maybe even labour and end up (much more worn out) still with a section and the same issues! I do have super family support - couldn't ask for better but still....

As silly as it sounds though - a small part of me regrets having not being to experience contractions/labour (I know - some ppl would see this a dream and think I'm crazy but.....)

I do believe once youve had a section that you are entitled for an elective the next time round due possible complications with vbac but most hospitals push for vbac.... but again I don't know if age plays a part in these risks....

I'm not due til early October so havent met with consultant yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had a planned section on my first. I had a second section on my second.
    If I was doing it again I'd have said I want a section and I'm not interested in discussing or going through a VBAC. I had no complications at all. Everyone I know who had problems post birth had vaginal deliveries. I'm an earth mother type in many ways but I am happy I had sections.

• Advertisement

I had a section last time (baby was breech from 34 weeks so was planned) and the consultant I saw on my first visit this time around pushed for a VBAC, got the full rundown on _all_ the issues there might be with a section versus a natural birth, which is a walk in the park according to her lol
    I wouldn't mind but the three women I know who had natural births around the time I had my section all had complications, one having to have surgery 5 months later to fix the mess they made of her episiotomy!
    I've said "we'll see" to the VBAC question. I'm in your camp, a little apprehensive about labour now.

Yes, I also meant to say that 3 friends who had babies in last 2 yrs had complicated vaginal births, that sounded quite horrific and 2 of those were over 40 so not sure if a factor. I just feel something wasn't working last time and I would be nervous of a complication and/ or the need for emergency CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

OP my friend is due her second the same time as me (and u!!!). She had an emergency section on her first and told me she is having a planned section this time. She already discussed it with her consultant at 8 and 12 weeks! From Memory I think she said she is getting it at 39 weeks I'm not 100% though. I know absolutely nothing about sections so didn't ask questions :)
    She is private I don't know if that makes any difference?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Failed induction for me last time round, 10 days overdue, and added complications so I had an emergency section.

I'm pushing for a section this time around. I want to know exactly when, where and how.

I spoke to the midwife on my last visit and her words were "we're not the birth police and we won't force you either way".

It is something that causes me a lot of anxiety when I think of the drama surrounding my Son's birth. Meconium, Step B, failure to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

I had an emergency section after induction on my first and they offer me a section everytime I go to the hospital, that's public in the rotunda. I'd rather vbac though so have declined so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

BriarPatch wrote: »
    I had an emergency section after induction on my first and they offer me a section everytime I go to the hospital, that's public in the rotunda. I'd rather vbac though so have declined so far!

You can ask to go to the NBAC clinic in the Rotunda if you really want a VBAC.

I had a cesarean on my first because of failed induction. I went on to have two very successful VBAC's (one 14 months after my cesarean, with epidural and one 20 months after the second VBAC, completely unmedicated) on the first VBAC the doctor didn't push me either way, said I had very good chance of VBAC but if I wanted I could have the cesarean. (I had a cesarean on my last too as I went 10 days overdue and had a failed induction again, me and inductions don't mix)

As someone else said, they're not the birth police, if you want the cesarean go ahead and ask for it, give them your reasons, they're usually pretty open to discussion on it.

(As an aside, I hate the term 'c section', you section an orange not a stomach, cesarean birth is a much nicer term IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

January wrote: »
    You can ask to go to the NBAC clinic in the Rotunda if you really want a VBAC.

I had a cesarean on my first because of failed induction. I went on to have two very successful VBAC's (one 14 months after my cesarean, with epidural and one 20 months after the second VBAC, completely unmedicated) on the first VBAC the doctor didn't push me either way, said I had very good chance of VBAC but if I wanted I could have the cesarean. (I had a cesarean on my last too as I went 10 days overdue and had a failed induction again, me and inductions don't mix)

As someone else said, they're not the birth police, if you want the cesarean go ahead and ask for it, give them your reasons, they're usually pretty open to discussion on it.

(As an aside, I hate the term 'c section', you section an orange not a stomach, cesarean birth is a much nicer term IMO)

Can I ask in terms of experience as such which type of birth did your prefer or what where the benefits and draw backs.I had a planned section 2 and half years ago and I'm currently pregnant ( only 7 weeks). I'm confused as to what kind of birth I want..In an Ideal world if i could choose think I'd like a vaginal with no complications lol. But the fear of complications makes me want a ceaserean....But I hate the recovery and actually was terrified and sick from the drugs they made me loopy. It was only the next day people were telling me things that happened and I remembered them almost like drunken flash backs. When are we going to come up with the technology​ to teleport them out 😂

missjuly wrote: »
    Can I ask in terms of experience as such which type of birth did your prefer or what where the benefits and draw backs.I had a planned section 2 and half years ago and I'm currently pregnant ( only 7 weeks). I'm confused as to what kind of birth I want..In an Ideal world if i could choose think I'd like a vaginal with no complications lol. But the fear of complications makes me want a ceaserean....But I hate the recovery and actually was terrified and sick from the drugs they made me loopy. It was only the next day people were telling me things that happened and I remembered them almost like drunken flash backs. When are we going to come up with the technology​ to teleport them out 😂

What was the reason for your section last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh hands down I preferred the vaginal births. I was a bit like you, terrified of the complications but realised that if I didn't at least try that I'd kick myself. I was fully prepared and expecting to be rushed for an emergency cesarean during my first VBAC, but it thankfully didn't happen. It wasn't a walk in the park, I had a ventouse delivery and some stitches but it was otherwise ok.

January wrote: »
    Oh hands down I preferred the vaginal births. I was a bit like you, terrified of the complications but realised that if I didn't at least try that I'd kick myself. I was fully prepared and expecting to be rushed for an emergency cesarean during my first VBAC, but it thankfully didn't happen. It wasn't a walk in the park, I had a ventouse delivery and some stitches but it was otherwise ok.

Thanks for the reply January! That has kind of been my feeling that ultimately I might be better off with a vaginal. I went over due the last time so if that happens again I think it will be a section...But we will see a long way off yet just weighing it all up!

Hospital apt today. Yes, VBAC pushed but ultimately I've been assured it's my decision. I don't have to decide til I'm 36 wks if I want an elective section. But due to age I won't be let past my due date and if nothing happens by then it will have to be a section but was advised that I could go into labour myself before that. I'm between 2 minds now after consult. Felt there was lot more emphasis on the risks of CS. I find it hard to go there as I've had one and it went fine. I do like the idea of being able to go home after one nite for sure, especially with a little one at home this time. Hmmm decisions.....

73trix wrote: »
    Hospital apt today. Yes, VBAC pushed but ultimately I've been assured it's my decision. I don't have to decide til I'm 36 wks if I want an elective section. But due to age I won't be let past my due date and if nothing happens by then it will have to be a section but was advised that I could go into labour myself before that. I'm between 2 minds now after consult. Felt there was lot more emphasis on the risks of CS. I find it hard to go there as I've had one and it went fine. I do like the idea of being able to go home after one nite for sure, especially with a little one at home this time. Hmmm decisions.....

At least they are letting you decide. Though it's a tough decision. Do you mind me asking what hospital your in? Now worries if not. I am only 10 weeks but weighing it all up even though it's ages away. Found myself looking up people's vbac experiences online. I absolutely love the Idea of being able to leave after one night how amazing....But then not amazing If you have had a not so good experience. I ended up having a planned section at 41 weeks the last time, i had high blood pressure, gestational diabetes baby was face presentation and the consultant could barely reach my cervix it was that far back. But I am thinking that could all happen again high blood pressure and gestational diabetes and going over due so maybe the decision will be taken away then. But still have dreams of a vaginal labour. which I never understood when people felt like that when I was pregnant before but now I get it.

At least they are letting you decide. Though it's a tough decision. Do you mind me asking what hospital your in? Now worries if not. I am only 10 weeks but weighing it all up even though it's ages away. Found myself looking up people's vbac experiences online. I absolutely love the Idea of being able to leave after one night how amazing....But then not amazing If you have had a not so good experience. I ended up having a planned section at 41 weeks the last time, i had high blood pressure, gestational diabetes baby was face presentation and the consultant could barely reach my cervix it was that far back. But I am thinking that could all happen again high blood pressure and gestational diabetes and going over due so maybe the decision will be taken away then. But still have dreams of a vaginal labour. which I never understood when people felt like that when I was pregnant before but now I get it.

I'll pm you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

OP I don't think a failed induction has anything to do with age. Maybe it is one factor in it, I don't know. I was 27 having my first baby and that pregnancy ended up in emergency c section because of failure to progress after multiple inductions. I was induced because the amniotic fluid level was low.

My second pregnancy at 32 was a twin pregnancy. The consultant was saying VBAC until there's a reason to change but I reckon he would've given me a c section if it's what I wanted. In the end, it was planned c section at 38+2 due to gestational diabetes and one transverse breach baby. 38 weeks is considered term for non ID twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I had an emergency CS on my first after she got into distress after being induced. I was told at 20 weeks that I could have a planned CS if I wished and at my 32 week check up today the consultant asked me what I wanted to do and was more than happy to schedule a CS when I told him that was what I wanted (I'm public in Cork btw) I believe the VBAC rate in Cork is quite low and I didn't want to maybe go 10 days over, be induced and then maybe end up with a CS anyway! This way, I'll hopefully be home and well on my way to recovery by the time my due date rolls round.

I admit that I'm a bit of a control freak and knowing 'when and how' appealed to me. I have to say I didn't find the CS bad at all the last time, so hoping for a similar recovery this time. I know there are drawbacks, but I feel the benefits outweigh the negatives for me anyway. I found the emergency aspect of the last CS to be the worst part, so hoping it will be a little better this time being mentally prepared for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

ncmc wrote: »
    I had an emergency CS on my first after she got into distress after being induced. I was told at 20 weeks that I could have a planned CS if I wished and at my 32 week check up today the consultant asked me what I wanted to do and was more than happy to schedule a CS when I told him that was what I wanted (I'm public in Cork btw) I believe the VBAC rate in Cork is quite low and I didn't want to maybe go 10 days over, be induced and then maybe end up with a CS anyway! This way, I'll hopefully be home and well on my way to recovery by the time my due date rolls round.

I admit that I'm a bit of a control freak and knowing 'when and how' appealed to me. I have to say I didn't find the CS bad at all the last time, so hoping for a similar recovery this time. I know there are drawbacks, but I feel the benefits outweigh the negatives for me anyway. I found the emergency aspect of the last CS to be the worst part, so hoping it will be a little better this time being mentally prepared for it.

I'm the same. Got the green light yesterday for my C Section. Feel so relieved tbh.

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote: »
    I'm the same. Got the green light yesterday for my C Section. Feel so relieved tbh.

The more I think about it the more I'm swaying towards a planned CS. For similar reasons to yours plus the practicality of being able to plan family support when none local and people have to plan their trip. Needed all the more this time due to little man at home and given there's the potential for a CS anyway, we'll need help for 4 days min.

Advertisement