Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stopped training, how long to get back to where I was?

• 15-04-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

I've gotten quite busy over the last 6 weeks, before that and since September I have been training 4-5 days a week (weights) and was keeping my diet fairly clean.

However I've done nothing since, I've being eating everything and drinking a fair bit, gained 6kg and feel like ****. I'd imagine any progress I made with lifting heavier has pretty much returned to what I started out at.

I suppose my question is, if it took 6 weeks to reverse my progress will it just take the same amount of time to get back to where I was? Or is this just one of them things, get back in there and see what happens, I'd love to set a goal but don't know what's realisti?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The 6kg weight gain could be reversed in 12 weeks relatively easy.

Strength-wise, you could potentially get back in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Finding it relatively hard to motivate myself to get back, took pictures this morning to compare against where I left off and it's pretty depressing! But hey, back at it... 12 weeks 😔 I was hoping a lot of the weight was just like bloating etc. And would disappear quite quickly. I'll post progress in a few weeks.

milhous wrote: »
    Finding it relatively hard to motivate myself to get back, took pictures this morning to compare against where I left off and it's pretty depressing! But hey, back at it... 12 weeks 😔 I was hoping a lot of the weight was just like bloating etc. And would disappear quite quickly. I'll post progress in a few weeks.

It doesn't have to be 12 weeks. It could well take less.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

In terms of strength I've heard of a notion called "muscle memory" where any strength you have lost can be gained back twice as fast as it did to gain it in the first place.

I guess you just have to get back to it, stick to a meal plan and trust the process. I'm kinda talking to myself here too.

Yeah it's tough starting back again, have my meal plan for the week and the big shop done for it. Back in the gym tmo morning and ready for a few weeks of hell. I know I'll feel better once I get back to it, even by this time next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 KhyrieLiam

It depends on how motivated you are with your goal and your workouts. Discipline is essential specially with your diet and your exercise routine. You can certainly get back in shape in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KhyrieLiam

It depends on how motivated you are with your goal and your workouts. Discipline is essential specially with your diet and your exercise routine. You can certainly get back in shape in no time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Age plays a part too,as does sleep levels and adequate hydration.

But not wanting to complicate things *most* people should be to where they were (or very close to it) in three months.

I would add benching as an exception..in my experience if you quit benching your strength drops off very quickly and can take a long time to get back up.

That's just me though,everybody is different.

New Goat wrote: »
    In terms of strength I've heard of a notion called "muscle memory" where any strength you have lost can be gained back twice as fast as it did to gain it in the first place.

Training increases the number of myonuclei in muscle fibres. When you don't train, you lose muscle mass but the loss of myonuclei is much slower so you return to training with a higher level of myonuclei.

That means things like protein synthesis will happen more quickly than before and you'll regain that muscle more quickly than it til to build it.

Training and diet going strong but only five days in. Body looks much better already, significant difference (I think) but nowhere near the weights I was lifting (which wasn't impressive anyway tbf). I don't mind as I'm doing this simply for aesthetics.

I was a bit on the extreme side this week so looking forward to eating slightly more next week. As in a bit of porridge and rice the odd day.

Took a photo at the start and I'll take one every week for comparison. Not so sure about sharing though, unless I'm completely ripped at the end (unlikely)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

milhous wrote: »
    Training and diet going strong but only five days in. Body looks much better already, significant difference (I think) but nowhere near the weights I was lifting (which wasn't impressive anyway tbf).

Maybe not as heavy as you were lifting, but I'd guess they didn't fall all the way back to the start as you feared

Mellor wrote: »
    Maybe not as heavy as you were lifting, but I'd guess they didn't fall all the way back to the start as you feared

Nope actually not too bad, bench is prob the most drastically changed but I would've had a spotter previously so could really push it out. On my own now. Still, all going well.

Advertisement