Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General questions for first build

Options
  • 15-04-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all, I'm planning to finally build a gaming pc in about a months time (after exams) and just have a few questions not directly related to the build.

1. When I buy from mindfactory will I have to pay irish vat rates? And what's the regulation regarding vat exemption? my sister works in an office that might have a vat exemption number but would it be risky to buy with that since I will be using it at home?

2. Where is the best place to look at different monitors? Tried the local pc world the other day but they only had 1080p's hooked up, would pc world in jervis shopping centre have a better selection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1. Yes for the first part, no idea for the second. Depending on the company I.e. if its your sisters company you're probably sound, otherwise I wouldn't bother risking it. That's me, others who know more will give better advice.

2. There's very few places will give you a good monitor selection in Ireland, you're kind of stuck with internet reviews unless you someone with the model you're after. This is AFAIK, I may be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheogorath

Thanks for the reply. Any idea when I will have to pay the extra 4% in VAT? Went through the order screen right up to paying, with an irish billing and shipping address and it was still just showing 19%?
    Pity about the monitors, hard to tell if a 1440p will be worth it

I'm not sure about that at all to be honest, I thought it should have been added by now but its about a year since I've ordered anything.

Its probably worth it, 70% more pixels over 1080p, that's a huge volume, serious screen space available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Sheogorath wrote: »
    Pity about the monitors, hard to tell if a 1440p will be worth it

One of the more annoying things about being a PC enthusiast in Ireland. Nowhere at all to go look at stuff. Oculus/Vive, G-Sync, laptops, cases, speakers, keyboards, chairs... Loads of stuff that you really have to see in person to get a feel for them.

Serephucus wrote:
    Nowhere at all to go look at stuff
    In a way I'm just glad that this is my first build so anything will look great compared to my laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Serephucus wrote: »
    One of the more annoying things about being a PC enthusiast in Ireland. Nowhere at all to go look at stuff. Oculus/Vive, G-Sync, laptops, cases, speakers, keyboards, chairs... Loads of stuff that you really have to see in person to get a feel for them.

i know right, I was in Germany recently and in one of the Big Saturn stores with a floor dedicated to all the PC stuff with mice, chairs, UW monitors, VR gear, keyboards all the stuff that you want ot see and try in person

I could have spent hours there but I was with mates so grudgingly had to leave and go and try and find an actual pub which was really hard.

Have a build planned out, what do you's think?
    Pc will be pretty much just for gaming, mostly rpg's.

There's some fuzzy **** that i don't fully understand regarding ram with ryzen.

Animal of a PC though, looks good to me, just make sure the ram is okay. There's an AMD Ryzen discussion thread on forum where they'll help you out if you're unsure on the ram.

There's some fuzzy **** that i don't fully understand regarding ram with ryzen.
    Yea, still have to look into that a slight bit, not actually buying for about three weeks so will sort it out
    And forgot to mention my budget is about 2200 including tax and shipping

Advertisement