Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lordans computer shop in Wilton Shopping Center

Options
  • 15-04-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Does anyone remember the Lordans computer shop in Wilton Shopping Center? It was located across from Pennys where the e-cig shop is on the corner. I know it's gone for a long while now but wonder if they moved or are completely gone away.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Completely gone.
    I remember finding Santa's repeipt from there when he brought me a commodore 64 in the early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

.red. wrote: »
    Completely gone.
    I remember finding Santa's repeipt from there when he brought me a commodore 64 in the early 90's

I too got a C64 from them. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I used to get Amstrad games there. Good times.

Roar wrote: »
    I used to get Amstrad games there. Good times.

I suppose it also sold ZX Spectrum games amongst others.

I remember the games on tape and you could rotate the stand they were on.

Happy days indeed. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Worztron wrote: »
    I suppose it also sold ZX Spectrum games amongst others.

I remember the games on tape and you could rotate the stand they were on.

Happy days indeed. :-)

We used the get those tapes for our Amstrad in a shop off Main Street in Charleville. Also used to get the Airfix models there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

+1 for the Commodore 64 here. Bought the model that game with T2 so it had Arnie on the cover.

razorblunt wrote: »
    +1 for the Commodore 64 here. Bought the model that game with T2 so it had Arnie on the cover.

I got the C64 with the Nightmoves and Mindbenders game bundles. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

Worztron wrote: »
    I got the C64 with the Nightmoves and Mindbenders game bundles. :-)

Got the same bundle as well from there. Had a lot of fun with the bundled games especially with Shadow Warriors, Sly Spy, Midnight Resistance and Snare - a game that was fantastic and frustrating in equal measures. But the ending... that was a kick in the nuts :D!

Grand_Izer wrote: »
    Got the same bundle as well from there. Had a lot of fun with the bundled games especially with Shadow Warriors, Sly Spy, Midnight Resistance and Snare - a game that was fantastic and frustrating in equal measures. But the ending... that was a kick in the nuts :D!

Snare was incredible -- probably my favorite of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

If we are thinking of the same place, we got a TV from them in the early 80's.
    From what I remember at the time and it's bloody hazy, they sold all sorts of home electrical stuff.

Lordan himself came across as a cranky prick.

At the same time there just to be a great computer shop in the Queen's Old Castle.

I Remember when we had a lunch break, we'd head down from Pres. and play the games the were set up in the C64s.

It was better than pissing your money away at Pot Black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Donne wrote: »
    At the same time there just to be a great computer shop in the Queen's Old Castle.

I Remember when we had a lunch break, we'd head down from Pres. and play the games the were set up in the C64s.

That was Tomorrows World I believe. It's where I got my C64 back in the day. Great shop also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

From what I remember at the time and it's bloody hazy, they sold all sorts of home electrical stuff.

Wasn't the electrical place around where the baby shop is now. Didn't realise they were Lordans as well. Did the computer shop operate under a different name as well? I remember it surviving long after the electrical place was gone.

I've the vaguest memories of that shop Queen's old castle. My Parents bought our first computer (C64) there.

Ludo wrote: »
    That was Tomorrows World I believe. It's where I got my C64 back in the day. Great shop also.

You could be well right; my pre-senile dementia is blocking me as to the name.

But there was only a young girleen behind the desk, while there was an array of C64s and Spectrums loaded with games in the main part of the shop.

I feel sorry for her now trying to herd off a gang of spotty teens try to play the latest Jeff Minter Game :)

Wilton SC opened in 1979 - I wonder if Lordans were an original tenant.

By any chance was Lordan a stocky guy with a moustache? I recall such a guy in their Wilton SC shop.

What's 'Pot Black'? Pool?

Pot Black was a Video Arcade and Pool Hall on Washington Street in the early to middle 80's.

It was where the Kino is now.

During lunch breaks from school, we'd go down there to waste away our money on the video machines.

Pot Black was a Video Arcade and Pool Hall on Washington Street in the early to middle 80's.

It was where the Kino is now.

During lunch breaks from school, we'd go down there to waste away our money on the video machines.

Thanks. That was a bit before my time.

I loved the Kino - such a shame it closed.

Since you enjoyed playing the video games -- it was not wasted money. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

mordeith wrote:
    We used the get those tapes for our Amstrad in a shop off Main Street in Charleville. Also used to get the Airfix models there.

Noonans toy shop. Spent hours(or as much as we were left!) in there drooling over the Airfix and Britain's stuff as a kid.
    Wonder is it still there?

Advertisement